Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My 2007 Scorched Yellow has the same issue :buttkick: both the bubbles and swelling of the tank (hard to remount)
I already tried with Triumph and was unsuccessful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same as on my 2003. I called Triumph and they act like they never heard of it. I read somewhere there may have been a recall. They ran my VIN and nothing listed. It seems some times there are more bubbles than other times.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I seriously doubt it's ethanol related. It's easy enough to find plastics that can handle it. Sure there are lots of old vehicles where it f*cks up the fuel system but they were not designed to handle it.

I would be much more suspect of any fuel additives you may have used. The aftermarket will throw any old crap in a bottle and make wildly unsubstantiated claims for it. Something that actually would clean up a dirty injector (most of them don't work at all) would probably eat a hole straight through your tank. In particular, I would stay away from anything with methanol, even a few percent. That stuff will swell most plastics known to man. The fact that most of the tanks don't have a problem holding up to pump gas might be a clue to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would think the tanks vent/vent tube would be enough to keep the tank from swelling or blistering.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It is the ethanol that is effecting the Ducati and Aprilia tanks. The same models have no problem when owners use race gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 07 and i have had some bubbling near my gas cap. along with i believe it expanded cause the top bolt doesnt line up whats so ever. anyone have this prolbem? is so any suggestion to fixing it?

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
I don't want to say anything. I know if I say that nothing has happened, it will happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does an 08 steel tank fit an 07?

I have an early model 07 with a plastic tank. About two years ago I developed a warp on the right side of the tank. This occurred after an aggressive ride on a hot day. I was using shell gas with known ethanol 10%. Dealer replaced it after arguing with triumph and getting it replaced under an emissions warranty in CA. Reg warranty was expired. The new tank is direct replacement plastic and so far shows no sign of warping. I switched to chevron fuel (unknown ethanol but no label at pump about 10%)!and always vent tank (open cap briefly) after a ride. Don't know if this does anything but makes me feel better. So far so good no warping or bubbling. Don't know if first tank was bad plastic, was it the fuel I don't know. I do know when I ride aggressively I feel the tank flexing under my knees. If the warping occurs again I want to replace the tank with metal. Is the metal 08 tank a direct bolt in on an 07 that came with a plastic tank?

About a year ago my 2006 S3 began to show small bubbles/knots in the tank itself, under the paint - the plastic is starting to warp. When I remove it it's a bit of trouble to get it back on (not as easy as it once was). I called Triumph USA and they were no help and acted as if no one in the history of motorcycles has had this problem. When I referenced research that I had done, i made the layman's sin of saying the word "internet" which the rep jumped all over and told me that "bigfoot is seen and talked about on the internet too." I almost rode across town and whipped his a$$ (I live about 20 minutes city-riding from Triumph USA). Completely unhelpful and downright insulting, to be honest.

I did some searching and found a little information but wanted to start a(nother) thread about this issue to see if anyone has any information on the problem:

Has anyone experienced it?
Is it repairable? What causes it?
Should I replace my plastic tank with a metal one?

Tanks are cheap enough (150-250 on the bay) so I'm not too bummed out I just wanted to see if we could start a proper resource on the problem (and vent about Triumph USA a little).

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Aprilia owners know this problem well. Many are now using Star Tron in thier tanks if they only run ethanol blends. The tanks are swelling, apparently due to water absorption exacerbated by ethanol. Drain the tank, let it dry for a week or two, and the tanks have been shrinking to thier originalsize for the most part. It is the type of plastic used, Acerbis makes the Aprilia tanks, and the only way to fix the tak properly is to get a new one and properly coat the interior. Star Tron keeps the fuel/water homogenous, so the water does not concentrate/separare and cause tank deformities. Or, just buy Non ethanol belnded fuel....

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Acerbis makes the plastic Triumph tanks too.

Don't really have that problem anymore since I now have a steel one. Keep it full, run it regularly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ducati had the same problem with Acerbis tanks reacting with ethanol blends, there was a lawsuit as it was a known , they dont use plastic tanks anymore on US bikes...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same issue here..trying potential fix

I have the same issue on my 06. I have heard it's due to phase separation for ethanol based fuel. The ethanol attracts water molecules in the air and wreaks havoc on the octane boosters contained in the fuel and effectively drops the rating as well as causes phase separation. We end up with a layer of water in the gas tank and somehow this affects the plastic in our tank. There is a stabilizer called k100 which is supposed to re-stabilize the fuel and it's theorized that if you add double the required amount, may help to re-form the tank, though the manufacturer of the stabilizer won't stand by that assumption. I added it to my tank today. I will let you know how it turns out! At the very least it should keep the issue from getting worse!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Methylated spirit will do the same thing and I bet its cheaper. drop half a cup in a full tank- it will bind to any water in there and send it out the exhaust.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts