Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to install my power commander unit on my S3 today. I proceed to unscrew the tank screw, which I notice is a little gnarly. It didn't feel right when I untwisted it, but I proceeded with my task. I removed all the necessary bolts, disconnected the fuel line, electronics and bleed hoses and proceeded to install my power commander.

When I tried to re-install my tank the top screw would not line up unless I removed the bolt from the back...it was a mess. I finally got the top screw to move when I began getting some resistance...I backed it up and inspected the hole...it seems that I fucked up the threads...so I tried to carefully reinstall the screw and ran into the same problem...I think my threads are done......

What is my next course of action??

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Guv,
Are the threads on the screw, or the ones on the frame stripped? It is unclear which ones are the issue.

You can try chasing the threads on the screw with a die to clean them up. Or simply replace the bolt.

On the frame, you likely will need to drill the old threads out, and install a threaded insert (Helicoil, etc.)

Remember: If the bolt does not line up and thread in easily, do not force it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Devi,

I probably did not explain it very well, sorry. The bolt will not thread in easily, it will turn and then stop. I believe the threads on the screw are fine, I think the threads on the frame are the ones that are screwed up. I was able to get the screw in 3/4s of the way but I encountered a great deal of resistance. I did not push it, but my tank is not secured very well at this point. It is a pain in the ass to line up the tank to the top insert so I think I probably screwed it up the first time by not lining up the screw correctly.

Since it looks like its the frame at this point should I attempt to do the work myself or take it to the dealer.

THX!!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
First is would simply try to chase the threads in the frame with a tap.

If you want to insert the threads yourself, it is not a tough job. You will need the correct size threaded insert, drill bit, and tap. You can buy it all as a kit from www.mscdirect.com if you can't get it locally or at a Fastenal store.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
TheGuvnor said:
Since it looks like its the frame at this point should I attempt to do the work myself or take it to the dealer.

THX!!
Guv, if you decide not to do this yourself, I would not take it to your dealer. He may never have installed a helicoil either. I would go to a an engineering shop. Your local engine reconditioning or hot up shop would be well experienced at this sort of thing

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
legman said:
Your local engine reconditioning or hot up shop would be well experienced at this sort of thing
YEP.
Some of us have large collections of helicoil and dualcoil inserts, bits, taps, dies, etc. And a LONG list of times they have been used , usually preceded by a long list of four letter words.

:violent1:

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Devious said:
legman said:
Your local engine reconditioning or hot up shop would be well experienced at this sort of thing
YEP.
Some of us have large collections of helicoil and dualcoil inserts, bits, taps, dies, etc. And a LONG list of times they have been used , usually preceded by a long list of four letter words.

:violent1:
Amazing how "I think this is going to need further work" translates to fuck, shit, son of a bitch, and goddamn all in one sentence. ;D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the updates guys. I talked with Les, who is the service manager at dealership. He has ordered an after market bolt for me and he will take a look at the damage. He claims he has repaired many triples with this problem before either tapping or installing helicoils. Apparently other people have had a hard time aligning the tank after removal.

He has offered to help or he will provide me with a list of machine shops in the area that specialize in this sort of thing. Being so mechanically declined I would love to learn how to do this...with my hard head I know I will repeat this again.... :loser:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think the problem in this case is related to the horrible plating job on the Malaysian 6mm bolt that holds the tank down. I've ended up replacing a few of the factory fasteners (radiator cowls, foot guards...) 'cause they are CRAP.

If you intend to re-use any of them, make sure you put a dab of grease on them prior to reinstallation. The chintzy plating itself is what galls the threads, basically welding to the mating threads with the (very mild) heat of friction and gomming (a technical term) them all up. Don't blame yourself - blame the bean counters!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Martin_R said:
TheGuvnor said:
Apparently other people have had a hard time aligning the tank after removal.
Wind bolt a bit in before installing tank. I think I did mine this way last time around. Should make it pretty impossible to crossthread bolt.
Oh yeah - that bolt doesn't even have to come all the way out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.