Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What sprocket choice is "funner" to ride.

If you were after true performance, you wouldn't be on an S3 to start with
so I should have gotten a ducati? I kid...

i hear ya. I am so used to regearing bikes, but this one might be fine as it is...

so so now I will focus my OCD onto other things... like trying to determine if running my crackcase vent hose to the sai hose is worth doing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ordered a 17t front. If I have to replace the rubber swingarm slide strip ever two years, so be it.

I like the lowered gearing of the 45t rear, but it moves the wheel half an inch forward and it lowers the rear a half inch as well. I am 6'4" and don't want the seat height lower than stock. The 17t front will allow me to actually slide the rear wheel back a bit, so you get the increased acceleration, but the longer wheelbase helps keep the front end down so that the extra drive is not wasted just on wheelies...

I had the 17t on my 2011 Speedy and it was perfect.

Maybe if I get really crazy I will do both the 17t and 45t which as far as wheelbase and ride height should almost cancel each other out, but give really strong acceleration...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
SO whatcha guys think? 17/45 geared too low? Will have me at high RPM on the interstate and banging into the rev limiter and shifting too much?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Gearingcommander.com

Check out the differences made by your proposed changes. I swapped to a 45t rear and like it. 5k rpm at 70mph now for reference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I did. They don't have 2016+ internal gear ratios but looking at 2015 the theoretical top speed with stock gearing is 157mph, which frankly I don't think the bike can do. Aerodynamics and only 122hp at the wheel is not gonna let it redline in 6th.

Top speed with 17/43 is 148mph, and going to 17/45 brings it down further to 141mph which is probably as fast as you want to go on a naked bike...

Looking at cruising speeds on the interstate, at 80mph it says 4,786 - 5,067 and 5,303 respectively...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have done 148 (GPS confirmed) with 80lbs of total luggage in 2 saddlebags and a top case. That's PLENTY for the street.

MUCH more important to me than that^ is how it moves at 30, 50, 70, and 100mph. In each of those cases it's like being down 1/2 gear, which I like.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
45t changes everything IF you keep the stock length chain. I'd rather go 18/45, and throw a longer chain on it that 17 up front

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I am gonna toss the 17t on now, and when it stops raining see how it rides. The 17t front should give slightly more drive than the 45t rear did, but won't have me lowering the rear ride height or wheelbase, which will aid in making sure that the extra drive translates more to acceleration than wheelies...

If I feel like it needs more, I will add the 45t rear, which should move the wheelbase and ride height to just about stock... The smaller front will help offset the larger rear, so the overall difference will be minimal...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Installed the -1 front. Feels like the +2 rear did, so I think I am gonna put on the +2 rear as well. Gearing Commander says that will limit my top speed to 141mph, give or take... It's a naked bike and I am 250lbs with gear and the bike is kinda heavy and only putting 122hp to the wheel anyway, so top speed runs are really not what this bike was meant for... I think that the added acceleration and "fun factor" is worth the tradeoff of topping out in 6th pretty easily at the occasional track day...

80mph on the interstate will have me running 5,300rpm on the tach, so not too bad really.

Only downside is that it may give my traction control more of a workout... haha

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just tossed the rear on, for a 17/45 combo. Probably gonna be beast mode, but should be fun and lively. :)

Just waiting for the roads to dry up so I can take it for a spin and see how I like it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I installed my 45T rear sprocket yesterday. Some observations:
-first gear power wheelies even more aggressive
-I still can't power wheelie in second, though I blame my fat ass for that. Front end lifts off the ground, that's it.
-second gear clutch ups are stupid easy now.
-top speed unaffected. i reached a top speed of 155mph indicated. Not sure if my speedo is any more off than before. Engine pulled strong to redline and I backed off once I reached 155. Before, the motor topped out at 135, would lose steam and stop climbing in revs

Honestly, I don't know why triumph couldn't hear the speedy better from factory. The 45T seems to be the natural rear sprocket choice for this bike!

Edit: I did notice that it was more difficult riding through crosswind on the highway than before. Maybe because I lost about an inch of wheelbase in adjusting for this bigger sprocket, or maybe it was an exceptionally windy day yesterday.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Your speedometer is read off of your counter shaft rotation speed, so changing the front or rear drive sprocket will change your real world speeds, but your speedometer will not show that change. You are now somewhere between 5-10% off from the real world. Use a phone app that shows your GPS speed to see what you're actually doing and learn to do the math, or find a way to adjust your speedo.

^That is easy to do with the older models, I do not know how it's done with the new models.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I will verify on the dyno, but if I remember correctly, on the newer throttle by wire models with ABS and T/C, the speedo reading comes from the wheel sensors. I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Plus, these two things come to mind...

1) If the speedo comes from the countershaft, wouldn't this cause the T/C to go into overdrive?

2) Gearingcommander.com says that with this sprocket setup, I should be turning approx 5,300rpm at 80mph... And as I went down the highway, it was exactly at 5,300 at 80mph indicated... Now the tach comes from the ignition coils, so no gearing will throw that off. But if the speedo does draw from the countershaft and is now off by 10%, then at 80mph indicated, I am actually going like 72mph and my RPM's should therefore me lower than 5,300, rather than being right where predicted...

Or am I missing something?

As I said, I plan to get a Power Commander soon and have it tuned, and when I do I will have it tested on the dyno to see how off the speedo is...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I installed my 45T rear sprocket yesterday. Some observations:
-first gear power wheelies even more aggressive
-I still can't power wheelie in second, though I blame my fat ass for that. Front end lifts off the ground, that's it.
-second gear clutch ups are stupid easy now.
-top speed unaffected. i reached a top speed of 155mph indicated. Not sure if my speedo is any more off than before. Engine pulled strong to redline and I backed off once I reached 155. Before, the motor topped out at 135, would lose steam and stop climbing in revs

Honestly, I don't know why triumph couldn't hear the speedy better from factory. The 45T seems to be the natural rear sprocket choice for this bike!

Edit: I did notice that it was more difficult riding through crosswind on the highway than before. Maybe because I lost about an inch of wheelbase in adjusting for this bigger sprocket, or maybe it was an exceptionally windy day yesterday.
Bikes come geared tall to get around noise emissions. If the sound test says that the bike has to go by at 40mph or whatever in a given gear, if you gear it taller, then at that speed the revs will be lower and the bike will test as "more quiet"...

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I will verify on the dyno, but if I remember correctly, on the newer throttle by wire models with ABS and T/C, the speedo reading comes from the wheel sensors. I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Plus, these two things come to mind...

1) If the speedo comes from the countershaft, wouldn't this cause the T/C to go into overdrive?

2) Gearingcommander.com says that with this sprocket setup, I should be turning approx 5,300rpm at 80mph... And as I went down the highway, it was exactly at 5,300 at 80mph indicated... Now the tach comes from the ignition coils, so no gearing will throw that off. But if the speedo does draw from the countershaft and is now off by 10%, then at 80mph indicated, I am actually going like 72mph and my RPM's should therefore me lower than 5,300, rather than being right where predicted...

Or am I missing something?

As I said, I plan to get a Power Commander soon and have it tuned, and when I do I will have it tested on the dyno to see how off the speedo is...
Tachometers over read from factory. Kind of a built in protection. The dyno runs tend to show the discrepancy when run off the coils. Also evidenced that the rev limiter seems to cut in above what the red limit set rpm.

Yamaha got caught nearly 10 years ago making spurious claims about the highest revving R6, but these were debunked the first time one put on a dyno.

Refer:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2006/02/01february06_redline/

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Tachometers over read from factory. Kind of a built in protection. The dyno runs tend to show the discrepancy when run off the coils. Also evidenced that the rev limiter seems to cut in above what the red limit set rpm.

Yamaha got caught nearly 10 years ago making spurious claims about the highest revving R6, but these were debunked the first time one put on a dyno.

Refer:

New Yamaha R6 Does Not Rev To 17,500 RPM After All « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
good points, but I still recall that the newer bikes were picking up the speedo from a wheel sensor...

let me look for a link on that...

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
good points, but I still recall that the newer bikes were picking up the speedo from a wheel sensor...

let me look for a link on that...
From memory traction control requires speed data from both front and rear wheels so the ECU can compare any difference to determine wheelispin - for simplicity the abs sensors are likely used. So the ECU obviously knows the bike speed, but question is, where does the dash gets its data source - ECU or gearbox.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts