Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Easy way to tell: go for a drive at freeway speed with literally any GPS app that shows your active speed and compare the dash data to your GPS data.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I may try that later today. I am pretty sure from what I have read, including that link to the page of the newer model shop manual that says that the speedo is picked up from the rear wheel sensor(how Ducati and Aprilia have been doing it for years)... But I will test with GPS to confirm. Just have to rig up a mount for my phone.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So I loaded up a gps app and went for a ride. At a steady 70mph my gps was showing 67-69mph...

the gearing changes were -10%, so even if we assumed that the factory speedo was 100% accurate, the numbers don't jive... most speedos are 3-5% off from the factory... which is about what the difference is between my current setup and the gps reported.

when I did the same -1/+2 setup in my gsxr750, the speedo was off 20%...

based on this i is I think that the speedo is in fact picked up off the rear wheel, not the transmission... if it was off the tranny, it should have been at least 10 and probably closer to 15 percent off...

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
The earlier speed triple speedos (I can only vouch for up to 2010) have always been about 7-8% fast in stock trim. I'm guessing the later ones are the same.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The earlier speed triple speedos (I can only vouch for up to 2010) have always been about 7-8% fast in stock trim. I'm guessing the later ones are the same.
Yeah, my 2011 was off a good bit in stock form.

thsts why I am confident that the speedo now comes off the wheel... if it wasn't, I would have read waaay off from gps, instead of 2-3mph...

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Uh, that one manual flat out said it comes from the rear wheel and no longer uses the trans. It even stated the VIN

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Also, I really like the 17/45 combo. Really makes the bike accelerate hard.

The speedy is long in the tooth. It's vastly underpowered compared to the ducati, aprilia, Kim, BMW, etc... this helps it feel like it isn't 30hp behind the completion...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yeah, that and the Tuono 1100 are beasts...

even the beemer is impressive... they claim 160 at the crank but most reviews say it tests at 151 or so at the wheel... that's 30hp more than mine is making...

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Yeah, that and the Tuono 1100 are beasts...

even the beemer is impressive... they claim 160 at the crank but most reviews say it tests at 151 or so at the wheel... that's 30hp more than mine is making...
but where are they making it?

and where can it be used?

and what could Speedy do with more power she doesn't already do?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
but where are they making it?

and where can it be used?

and what could Speedy do with more power she doesn't already do?
As a big guy, effortless power is fun for me. It's addictive. Granted, it probably won't make me "faster" on the street, but it is just more exhilarating... Plus, my wife is getting the new Street Triple RS, and now she will be able to out accelerate me. I make a little more power than the new Striple, but that bike is 80lbs less and revs faster and she is a lot lighter than me. So on a straight away, I am gonna get passed by a "girl on a smaller bike"... haha

Italy, Germany and Japan?

170mph...
Haha

·
Registered
429 Posts
Striple is 80 lbs less? Nah. My 2006 is 440.1 lbs wet, I weighed it last week (one scale under each wheel, scales both checked for accuracy)

Street is lighter, but not 360 wet.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
423lbs dry, I am guessing that wet weight is up in the 460lbs range, easily... But dry weight to dry weight is still like a 60lbs difference.

I talked to my dealer who was at the launch and railing on the bikes on a race track, and they had new Striple RS's and new Speedy's and the Striples were pulling on the speedy's... The 765 is a snappier motor that revs higher and faster and the bike is a lot lighter and more nimble. Overall it is probably a better bike and I should have just gotten that. haha

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

You mean Triumph is basically making an 800cc S3? Hmmm weird. That is an idea I would have never thought of..

You know what that means...

61 - 80 of 85 Posts