Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Speed Triple used and it came with an Arrow exhaust. It back fired on decel which annoyed me. I found a nice used stock exhaust which I'm in the process of putting on. Things are going well except the sensor that goes in the exhaust won't fit, the thread is much too big. I can't imagine why the size would be different but they are. Is this a common problem when changing exhaust? If I left the sensor out and put in a bolt to close the hole how would it run? Is the sensor just a plug in change? I haven't dug around yet but the wire seems pretty well hidden.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought my Speed Triple used and it came with an Arrow exhaust. It back fired on decel which annoyed me. I found a nice used stock exhaust which I'm in the process of putting on. Things are going well except the sensor that goes in the exhaust won't fit, the thread is much too big. I can't imagine why the size would be different but they are. Is this a common problem when changing exhaust? If I left the sensor out and put in a bolt to close the hole how would it run? Is the sensor just a plug in change? I haven't dug around yet but the wire seems pretty well hidden.
Okay traced the wire and is just an unplug of course Triumph in there infinite wisdom put in a small plug with three catches on three sides so it was a pain in the "a" to plug it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I think you will get a fault code if you just unplug it. You can turn the sensor off in the tune with TuneBoy or TuneECU. If you kill the secondary air injection (SAI) then you can eliminate the backfiring with any exhaust. With SAI the stock exhaust will backfire, it's just so muffled you don't notice it much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you will get a fault code if you just unplug it. You can turn the sensor off in the tune with TuneBoy or TuneECU. If you kill the secondary air injection (SAI) then you can eliminate the backfiring with any exhaust. With SAI the stock exhaust will backfire, it's just so muffled you don't notice it much.
A friend of mine liked my Triple so much he also bought a used one but with a stock exhaust. It sounds much cleaner and there is no backfire. Maybe the SAI was killed but I'd be surprised.
Any way I unplugged the sensor looking it up on line I found many but all with different looking plugs so I'm off to Long Island Triumph and hopefully they can help and only charge me half a fortune. LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the exhaust switched and I'm pretty happy. Yes there is the ever so slight backfire with the stock but if I wasn't looking for it i wouldn't hear it and I'm happy. The O2 sensor was not available at Triumph, so I looked on-line and there were a bunch very cheap. Of course each plug looked different than the other. I picked one, it screwed in nicely and it plugged in but didn't lock. I warmed it up and took it for a few miles and it all runs good but the engine light is on. I'm sure that is from the sensor. i suppose I could live with it but I'd rather not. I will check in with Triumph periodically till the right one comes along but if anyone has a hint as to how to bypass the light I would appreciate a hint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you started it with the sensor disconnected it will take 3 heat cycles to reset the light. Or you can do it yourself with TuneBoy or TuneECU.
I don't have Tuneboy or TuneECU, so after running the bike 3 or so times the light will go away? That is great till my dealership manages to get me the correct sensor, which as it seems will be quite a while. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now have the Arrow exhaust sitting in my garage. If anyone wants it, it's yours no charge. You just have to come and get it. I live In Massapequa Park Long Island NY. I don't have a box big enough to ship it so I'll give it a couple of days before I toss it. Included is the O2 sensor that I had to replace.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
Odd. Most are looking to dump the OEM exhaust.

After reading the whole thread, I get the impression you like to do things the hard way. You could’ve kept the arrow exhaust, put a new tune in the ECU on your own for free, disabled SAI blah blah blah, and would’ve had a much better performing bike with a much better exhaust system. Now you’re going to toss a relatively decent and desired exhaust system that’s with some money all because you can’t find a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

After reading the whole thread, I get the impression you like to do things the hard way. You could’ve kept the arrow exhaust, put a new tune in the ECU on your own for free, disabled SAI blah blah blah, and would’ve had a much better performing bike with a much better exhaust system. Now you’re going to toss a relatively decent and desired exhaust system that’s with some money all because you can’t find a box.

I tend to be odd. I suppose if I got rid of the back firing I'd have been happy but not being terribly mechanically inclined I knew nothing about the SAI. I brought to my local guy and he spent lot of time doing nothing and got me no where. I found the stock set up on e-bay for less than I was wiling to spend so I bought it.
All of my bikes have stock exhaust a couple I have returned to stock and in all honesty in my mind they are all better for it. When I raced I spent a bit of time and money on performance work (including exhaust) it was appropriate and it did make the bikes faster. In a race it's important. On the street that extra 5 miles an hour top speed isn't going to make me hard and I usually ride a bit faster than guys with faster bikes anyway (I am an old squid C'est la vie) I like quiet. I think of after market exhausts like the boom boxes of the 70's just because you think the music is beautiful not everybody else does.
I loved riding my Zero but I gave it up do to lack of range but I will get another fairly soon.
I also hate throwing things out when someone else might want it so I'm giving it away. Hopefully someone who thinks the music is beautiful will come and get it. All in all I'm a happy guy and my bike is what I want. I wish the same for you.

Reactions: vinnyf

·
Registered
4,564 Posts

Can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't fix stupid.
The fun part of the internet is things get fuzzy. So was I the stupid that can't be fixed or was it 2doggs? Either way does it really matter? Not to me. :) Note to self..... take dr_gallup with a grain of salt. LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If any cares I took my ST out for short squid ride today and it was great. I always loved my ST but I feel like it was a new romance. I guess it was like when your wife comes home with a new haircut and it's just a little more fun. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts