Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might notice that I'm not strictly adhering to triumphs break-in guidelines :horse:, but I'm still varying my rpms, not going over 6k for extended periods, and I don't want to hear about it either. ;D

So anyway, I had reached about 300 miles and I decided to put fresh oil and a filter on and start exploring her potential a little more. I used a Honda filter and honda 10w40 bulk oil from my friend who's a dealer (I am still planning on taking it in for it's 600 mile service and having the oil changed again then). While I was changing the oil I noticed a leak at the bottom of the clutch cover, not a huge one but enough to piss me off a bit. Especially when I'm doing all this in the back of the Honda dealer's lot. I told him "you can't buy character like that on a Japanese bike now, can you?" But I digress.

Anyway, fresh oil in, I figure it's time to see a little more of what this s3 thing is all about. I thought the mid-range (4k-6k) felt pretty good before and the bike feels snappy, now with a little more revs it still feels good, it keeps pulling right to the red-line where I thought maybe it would tail off before that. Snap the throttle open at 4k in first and the front comes right up, but here is where I got a little diappointed. I also tried to clutch it up in 2nd a few times too, without much success. I obviously didn't want to hammer it too bad yet, but I never got more than a few inches off the ground. With my zx10, I could flick the clutch in 2nd at about 50-60 mph and she'd stand right up. I figured that with shorter gearing and all the low end torque the s3 would be a cinch to hoist in 2nd, but apparently it needs a different technique than what I'm used too. I'm guessing I need to give it a lot more throttle, and with a little practice I'll figure it out, but still I am a little disappointed. I tried to clutch it up in first too, and that worked well. Maybe that's what I'll have to do, get it up in first and shift to 2nd once she's up. But I still want to put a few more miles on before I really start getting abusive with her ;D.

As far as the handling is concerned, I am pretty satisfied. Around town, it's about perfect, the bike feels flickable and planted and I've got the back tire scrubbed right to both edges. Last Friday, I went for a little bit faster ride in the country and I wasn't completely impressed. It was cooler, only in the 50s, and on rough roads small bumps were not being absorbed at all. It felt like too much high speed compression dampening, but also when I would get on the brakes the front would dive too much. I haven't played with the settings yet, and I think the cooler weather maybe made the suspension feel harsh. Today it was in the 70s and it never felt as harsh over small bumps as it did the other day.

So the verdict is still out, but I am still holding out hope that this bike is what I've been looking for for a couple years. I love the riding position, I feel like I could go all day on it. I love the looks also, to me it looks the way a motorcycle should. I am not impressed with the oil leak already though, and I'm a little bit underwhelmed with the power, although the delivery is very good.

This was longer than I thought it would be, sorry for being so long winded. ::)

G

·
Are you upset with the bike? or youreself? Easy to blame the bike for lack of skills. I will forgive you. :gayaway: :gayaway: Seriously, If ya cant have fun on this bike, well :gtfo: If You're used to the yappy yaappy, japppy, jaappy. We can all pull wheelies on them. :jerkit:

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
Man that was a long post.All i can say is take it to a suspension guru,they can do marvels with the stock suspension,and get it set up to your weight(and don't lie about it) ;D :popcorn:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Its hard to really compare the likes of a ZX-10 to an S3....different bikes all together. I have been lucky enough to ride an 04 ZX-10 for about 50 miles through some twisties and the bikes are like night and day. I actually seem to have more control and tighter turn with the ZX-10 or my ole 600 for that matter...but I feel like I am in a cockpit on a routine ride ...methodical...all about technique....just like a track bike should feel. With the Speedy, I can just enjoy myself, I feel like I am free instead of being an extension of the bike...this applies to all the riding on the speedy...to me wheelies are just a ticket to losing your license...but they are still cool to watch....plus I made a promise to my wife years ago...

Hang in there...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
limey said:
Are you upset with the bike? or youreself? Easy to blame the bike for lack of skills. I will forgive you. :gayaway: :gayaway:
I said I need to try a different technique, the way some of you blather on about how the s3 wheelies, I figured I'd have to short shift to 4th just to keep it on the ground. At least you forgive me, that makes it all better :gtfo:.

I haven't given up on it yet...

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
kc, she won't wheelie at speeds like yer zx10 would. Ya have to remember, bone stock with a full tank of fuel, speedy is just shy of 500 lbs. She will wheelie quite easily in 2nd though. Just break her in a bit more, and git used to what technique works best fer ya. Before ya know it, you'll be carrying the front wheel just as far as you were on yer 10. ;) ;D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I want to get some more miles on before I really start to mess around with it. I'm no wheelie god by any means, I guess the 10 made it too easy.

I really do want to like this bike.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
As you break in the engine, it will seal up and make better power and torque. Mine went from 108.1 rwhp at 36 miles, to 112.4 rwhp (4% increase) at 1200 miles and was still sealing up. With TORS and tune it made just under 118 rwhp at 1250 miles.

As for break in guidelines.... what are they again? ;D

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
TheGuvnor said:
With the Speedy, I can just enjoy myself, I feel like I am free instead of being an extension of the bike...
should you not feel as though you are one with the bike when truly getting settled in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts