Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone happen to know which coolant Hinckley has switched to? Seems to be green now, instead of the blue Mobil Antifreeze used previously.

I guess green is still mostly ethylene glycol, but I was wondering if the green one has an improved additives package. Or did they just change the dye to confuse people.
???

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Is it green or blue/green?

If blue/green it may be the new Mobil Extra (extended life - OAT based).

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
POWER-TRIPP said:
Is it green or blue/green?
To my eye it looked as green as it could be. Like British racing green.

Edit. Called main UK HQ and apparently they have switched to "Hybrid OAT HD4X" coolant on all models across the range. The chap also said that it is NOT compatible with other ethylene glycol based coolants.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprisingly none of the local Triumph dealers carry the HD4X and Triumph UK does not want to tell who actually makes the coolant. They just say "it is branded through us and you can order some through your local dealer".

It's back to Mobil Antifreeze for me. I'm not going to order overpriced coolant every time I need it and drive across the city to pick it up, when there is a gas station 1km from me that carries the Mobil.

Shit like this just pisses me off to no end.
:violent1: :buttkick:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I run motonets cheapest car fluid.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
sure we can, but why pay too much money for some pretty colored fluid, when stock green one works just as good.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
With that logic, why aren't you running distilled water with a drop of dish soap?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it does say that. But it is not Mobil Antifreeze that is in the system (if your bike came with the green coolant). And the official word from HQ is that the two are not compatible.

Of course one can switch to whichever coolant after a 50/50 vinegar flush. I would have been happy to use what the bike came with as that would have saved a few flushes. Unfortunately the new coolant is currently close to impossible to source, so I'm forced to switch to something more common.

Edit. Result finally. The technical dept from Triumph Scandinavia got back to me and said that "Any OAT G-05 specified coolant will do (normally recognized by the green colour)". A bit shit customer service from Triumph UK to withhold this info in an effort to push their own product.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Crashmasterd said:
With that logic, why aren't you running distilled water with a drop of dish soap?
manual didn't say I could use soap. :smitty:

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Jaket said:
Crashmasterd said:
manual didn't say I could use soap. :smitty:
The manual didn't say you could wheelie either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
"Any OAT G-05 specified coolant will do (normally recognized by the green colour)". A bit shit customer service from Triumph UK to withhold this info in an effort to push their own product.
G-05 is yellow/gold
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42
this is the sit I use & I like it bought a gal. of non diluted & mixed it with distilled water cost @ napa around 10 bucks
Distilled water "free, I sell bottled water, Sparkletts"
I am an ASE Master Auto Tech by trade, my sister acquired a water business ( my brother-in-law loaned his buddy the money for the business & he didn't pay & was going to let it go back to the parent company cause he didn't even pay his water bill, so here we are)
I fix dilapidated equipment & in my spare time deliver water
Enough of my own issues
I like Ford Premium Gold Coolent.. aka.. G-05, it don't turn brown or leave sand in the overflow tank

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Vassilis, yes, every speed triple will puke out what it doesnt want if you were "silly" enough to think that filling it to the top fill line was the right thing to do. This is what most other bikes and cars likes... but our bikes will let you know who's boss by throwing that shit out on your very next ride!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts