Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

So I've been lookin' to upgrade from the pw 80 ;D and have been doin' some research online. Unfortunately for me, whatever I get needs to be able to be lowered to about 28 inches seat hight so I can flat foot. I can honestly say that I don't like the look of the Nighthawks or the Ninja 250's (Have you seen the new ones? Who the fuck paints flames on a 250? Just seem counter intuitive. :wtf: ) And have been told that there's no lowering kit for a Ninja 500 :( . Of course, since Cata got into the naked bikes, I'm liking the look more and more and the fairings less and less. So I'm now I'm thinkin of a Suzuki GS500E. (Been told there's no lowering kit for the SV650 either). Let me know what you guys think. Suggestions/comments/etc. are always appreciated or if anyone in the North East has a good bike for a little girl. I'll least I'll still be able to wear the ride naked t-shirt Bucket sent. Where the hell has Bucket been anyway? (Devious....I'm really curious to see what you have to say).

--LC

What the Fuck Was THAT!!!! My deepest apologies to anyone who saw that! MY EYES! MY EYES!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
LC,
What do you want to spend, and what size engine are you looking for? How do you ride (hard in the corners, or just cruising)?

Look at the Honda 599. It may be shorter IIRC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO SORRY LIMEY! But don't worry I think I have an solution.....I suggest drinking until you forget what just happened. (That's what I plan to do).

That's the last time I try to put in a photo off the fucking internet!!!! Cata--can you please do something about this. The linking to a photo on a website shit is gonna get me in serious trouble!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I know I'm going to get flamed for this...  and probably rightly so.

If you are inseamed challenged but don't want a silly 250 nighthawk or something, consider a Yamaha 535 Virago.  Low seat height, decent performance for it's displacement, and good reputation for reliability.  Yeah, I know it's cruiserish,  but WTF?  It's a fun ride.

Nothing wrong with the GS500E (didn't they make a GS 550 too?  I think it was a 4 cylinder, while the 500 was a twin.  Or the other way around.)

Another couple of bikes to consider if you can find one:  The Yamaha 600 Radian.  Excellent underrated bike.  AND the Kawasaki 400 Zephyr.  Both have fairly low seat height and good mechanical reputations.  However they are also all long since discontinued.

Good luck with your search.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Limey....that was only up for about ten seconds. Guess you just hit this at exactly the right time. I'll learn to preview my posts w/photos from now on.

Devious--I'm really more of a cruiser chick by nature, but since Cata went to the TS3 I don't think I can ride a cruiser anymore. I'm a little more slow going than most of the sport bike boyz. The Honda 599 is a beautiful bike! Do they make a lowering kit for that?

Crash--I did look at a 535 Virago and liked it. I'd have to start a whole new group however. Don't think I'd fit in around here anymore. ;D

Now I'm getting out of here for a while to try to erase that horrid picture from my head and not almost give a heart attach to anyone else....where's Dfib.....Limey might need him right now. ;D

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Thanks cataholabastarddog.

I really didn't need to see that...

You are divorcing him for that, right Little Cat?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I am not sure about a lowering kit, but it should be able to do a few searches and find out.

IF it fits or can be lowered, it has great lines, and the reviews seem to like it over the Triumph Speed Four.

Rather spendy for new, but you should be able to find one is great condition used.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=149

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OKAY--JUST TO CLARIFY--I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SECOND IMAGE THAT POPPED UP IN MY ORIGINAL POST. CATAHOULA TRIED TO LINK ANOTHER PHOTO OF THE GS500 INTO MY POST AND APPARENTLY THE GUY WHO RUNS THAT SITE REALLY HAS AN ISSUE WITH HOT LINKING! I'D NEVER....I REPEAT NEVER POST PICS LIKE THE TWO THAT SHOWED UP HERE TODAY.

(REST OF POST EDITED FOR CONTENT :police: )...................................

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Feisty!

;D

Cata - did you marry my wife's long lost younger (and shorter) sister?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, guess this is the second time Devious saw me get fiesty! ;D Like I said before, I'm sure your wife and I would get along well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little Cat said:
OKAY--JUST TO CLARIFY--I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SECOND IMAGE THAT POPPED UP IN MY ORIGINAL POST. CATAHOULA TRIED TO LINK ANOTHER PHOTO OF THE GS500 INTO MY POST AND APPARENTLY THE GUY WHO RUNS THAT SITE REALLY HAS AN ISSUE WITH HOT LINKING! I'D NEVER....I REPEAT NEVER POST PICS LIKE THE TWO THAT SHOWED UP HERE TODAY.

(REST OF POST EDITED FOR CONTENT :police: )...................................
Guess my idea for a "Let's see everybody's tattoos" forum isn't gonna fly either :p

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
LC-

The GS500/550 is a great bike! My wife and I shared one for a little while (in the halcyon days of childless bliss) - she rode it to school, while I took it out and abused it every weekend. It would seriously come back to the house smoking and ticking from being wrung about the redline for 4 hours...but it always, always started right up the next day, and used very little oil even after 20000 miles. Good handling, fairly light, good geometry. I never met a sportbike guy that could leave me behind in the twisties on that thing. People are still telling stories about riding with me on the GS.

Cheap has a buddy with a similar story - ya can't kill a GS500.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Please add the photo back, I missed it.

Regarding the ninja 500, I am pretty sure there are things you can do to lower it, suspension-wise, but you can also shave a good chunk from the seat.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
kartstar said:
LC-

The GS500/550 is a great bike! My wife and I shared one for a little while (in the halcyon days of childless bliss) - she rode it to school, while I took it out and abused it every weekend. It would seriously come back to the house smoking and ticking from being wrung about the redline for 4 hours...but it always, always started right up the next day, and used very little oil even after 20000 miles. Good handling, fairly light, good geometry. I never met a sportbike guy that could leave me behind in the twisties on that thing. People are still telling stories about riding with me on the GS.

Cheap has a buddy with a similar story - ya can't kill a GS500.
damn right LC, those thangs are bullet proof. When my buddy carried his little GS up to Deals Gap with us last year, he kept that thang above 9k rpm 95% of the time. And as Kartstar stated, sure she would smoke a little, but never one minutes problem out of her. Anyways, I think a GS would be a great starter bike. That's what I want to git my wife if she ever gits back into it. But when she took the MSF class, she loved the freak'n Buell Blast. :-\ She just felt comfortable on that bike. So maybe, if we ever git her anything else, it might be the Buell. :-X

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Get a sportster custom. already lowered.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
GS would be a good choice... My buddies GF started out on a 2002(?) GS500 and she's about 5'1"-5'2" I think. It was actually a great bike to bum around town in. If speedy wasn't so perfect I'd give it serious consideration.

Would the Speed 4 work for ya? How bout the big dog put some money down on the Street Triple for ya! :smiley-asskiss:

Big no on the Sportster BTW... Why buy a bike that weights 200lbs more and doesn't perform nearly as well. FYI I have a Sportster so keep the flames to your self. :devil:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts