Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok there's a few threads about the tool to adjust this part, but nothing about how it's done. I refuse to take it to the dealer and will be doing it myself. I order the special tool which damn well better be gold plated and hope to do it this weekend so I can get back to abusing my bike with wheelies and stoppies.

To anyone that's done it: Does the front need to be lifted? If so i'm assuming not by the forks since the weight will still be on the headstock.
I measured the top nut that holds the tope triple on at 36 mm (more like 35.5) does it come off with a regular socket? seeing that the corners are rounded and made of aluminum, I'm a little weary of taking a regular socket to it.
Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I used a 36mm axle socket for a car on mine, worked fine. I did put some tape on the clamp just to prevent scratches. I don't currently have my manual in front of me, so I won't try to recall the exact procedure for doing the actual adjustment.

look here for a link to download the pdf of the manual. http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php?topic=1682.0

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the manual, sounds pretty straight forward, after teh top triple is off, remover the lock nut, torque the adjuster to 40NM, slacken and re-tighten to 15NM. torque the lock nut at 40NM (maybe 90, I'll check) and then replace the top triple and top nut.
I was just curious to know any tips or tricks to the service. Does the front need to be lifted? I'd rather not have to buy a front stand right now, I'll need one eventually, but i'd rather wait. One of the local harley techs lives by me, maybe I can borrow his lift. I just don't know how steady that'd be while torquing parts.
Thanks for the tip on the top nut.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You need to be able to lift the front of the bike so no load is on the forks to be able to check the headstock bearing adjustment. It it is loose here is the adjustment procedure.

Per the manual:

Adjustment
1. Raise and support the front of the motorcycle.
2. Slacken the top yoke clamp bolts.
3. Slacken the headstock top nut.
4. Ease the top yoke and handlebars from the forks and support while detached.
5. Adjust the bearing free-play as follows, all using tool T3880024
* Remove the locknut and tab washer. Slacken the adjuster nut then tighten to 40 Nm.
* Slacken the adjuster nut, then retighten to 15 Nm.
* Fit the tab washer and adjuster nut.
* Hold the adjuster nut in position while tightening the locknut to 40 Nm.
6. Refit the top yoke/handlebar assembly to the forks.
7. Tighten the top nut to 90 Nm.
8. Tighten the top yoke clamp bolts to 20 Nm.
9. Recheck the bearing adjustment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.