Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I hope some of you guys can help me. I got a 97 speed triple got 30,000 miles on it, it had set for about 2 years and the gas tank was trashed, so I took it all apart clean the tank bought a new fuel pump which is working. And then I took off the fuel rail and clean the injectors and change the filters. Also got two gas tank still retainer clips which leak. But besides that when I have the tank off and I spray starter fluid and started it it runs good as long as the throttle is open. But when I put the tank on it hook up the fuel lines it won't even start throttle open or closed. And there's fuel pumping through the fuel rail. Is anyone have any ideas of what's going on?

Registered
Your fuel leak.
The original fuel couplings which plug into the fuel tank are notorious for splitting. There was recall back in the day, to replace the hose end couplings with metal ones, however the ones in the fuel tank my need replacing too. The the replacement ones are usually plastic, but metal aftermarket ones are available. From memory some one changed them on their older model bike here many, many, many moons ago. It's possible one of the O-rings on the coupling has perished and failing to seal.

The Non-Starting.
Normally on a model Triumph of that era, the symptoms you're describing are often a result in the the valve clearances tightening/closing up. Once that happens, it is usually very difficult to start. Back in the day, I resorted to carrying a can of starting fluid and parking at the top of hills or buildings...
The fact that the bike has sat around for several years would probably have me looking at the injectors(I see you state you've cleaned them) and seeing if they are working. Check all your fuses and relays.
To my mind, if the fuel is successfully making its way into the fuel rail, but not into the cylinder, it makes me think either the injectors aren't flowing, or the valves aren't letting the fuel into the cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I replaced the gas tank retainer clips with the metal ones and when I clip them in they leak when the fuel pump turns on and I changed with new o-rings and they still leak. I'll figure that out but the big one is is that it's not starting. My guess is that the injectors aren't opening as they're supposed to so I possibly could be a fuse but I don't know there's 6 or 8 fuses and I can't tell you which one is which. Would you happen to know how to find which fuse is the fuel injection?

Registered
Highly unlikely, but happened to me on a much higher mileage bike...
The fuel pump relay was faulty. It worked, right up until the starter button was pressed, then it would stop. And bastard prick of a thing was only failing intermittently until it wouldn't start for days. Then would start randomly. Then refuse to start for days.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man, I'll hand it down that's my next spot to check then. I got to say though when I spray the starter fluid in it turned it on the m*** sounds really good. I'm just dying to test it out I've had it for a month now and been slowly fixing stuff. Good thing is I know it runs I just got to figure out what the fuel problem is thanks I'll keep you informed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got another fuel rail injectors coming I'll try to put that on, and then I'll check the fuel relay. But everything's been working when I turn the key on and hit the start button the pump turns and the fuel pumps all the way through the rail back into the tank. So it's got to be some sort of an injector issue they're not opening. When I took them out and I checked them they opened and closed and I sprayed fluid through them and that worked fine they were clean.

Registered
Thank you, I replaced the gas tank retainer clips with the metal ones and when I clip them in they leak when the fuel pump turns on and I changed with new o-rings and they still leak. I'll figure that out but the big one is is that it's not starting. My guess is that the injectors aren't opening as they're supposed to so I possibly could be a fuse but I don't know there's 6 or 8 fuses and I can't tell you which one is which. Would you happen to know how to find which fuse is the fuel injection?
Your guess is as good as mine as to which is for the injectors.
Gas Font Machine Electronic device Auto part

Registered
Bad ass Santa do you remember where the really was in the fuse cluster ? Or about
Hopefully pictures can do more for you than my words.

Obviously the relays are located by the screwdriver. I've got no idea which relay is for what. I cannot find my owner handbook or details for my neglected 98.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exhaust Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Cable

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bro, I found a bunch of diagrams of my year on Google. Your is a little bit different. I'm checking now if it's working as we speak. I hope this is it. This is so frustrating...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts