Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - put my '06 S3 into a local suspension guy here in Canberra (no names mentioned at present). Put in for weeping fork seal repair & while in there a suspension setup. Bike felt great on pick up rode her home felt better than ever. Until next day found pool of light oil under rear suspension. Took back in to suspension guy, he said its probably blown a seal and he'd rebuild it for around $200, sounded alright to me as it has 50,000kms on it and i cant afford an ohlins.

Anyway called him next day to see how he's getting on and he said bad news mate, its not the seal leaking the shock housing is cracked where it joins the resevior hose. Now i havent seen it yet but i've looked at some photos online so i think i know where he means.

My question is how could this happen without some kind of impact? Could it have happened when he adjusted the rear spring preload, carried out by whacking the lock nut with a hammer & bar? Maybe not, i dont really want to go down that line as he's got a pretty good rep locally & seems to be doing what he can to help me out.

Anyway, he's now welding up the housing to see if that holds. I just dont like the sound of it welded, might be up for big $$$ if i need to get a new shock.

Any advice appreciated - cheers

·
Registered
11,735 Posts

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Nic, I have sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
you could probably use a new shock. with it cracked, its probably just the stresses on the shock over time. if he's a suspension guru i guarantee he's not "wacking" on it, and has a spanner wrench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you could probably use a new shock. with it cracked, its probably just the stresses on the shock over time. if he's a suspension guru i guarantee he's not "wacking" on it, and has a spanner wrench.
he definately "whacked" on it I watched him do it, no spanner used ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers mate, appreciated
Hi Chewie need to get hold of Bucket about that OEM shock, would like to get it fitted by end of next week if possible for a big ride I've got on 28/9. Could you ask Bucket to contact me, I've sent a PM with my mobile, cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts