Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm broke and can't afford to pay $80 for tire mounting at the dealer, and can't afford to buy a No-Mar or Mojolever, so I decided to make my own. I'll attach pics in the next post (once I figure out how to attach them) but with a welder and some sweat, it can be done.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cut some square tubing with a plasma cutter, with a curve to push the bead past the rim, and took about 1/2 inch off the edge that curve will meet up with. Welded it together and then attached a bent piece of flat steel that will ride on the rim.
Automotive tire Hood Road surface Asphalt Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
How dumb can it be if we can see them?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
photos are good.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Harbor Freight is good for some things, not for others. I buy all my work gloves there, and a few other things.

But I can't believe the rubber mallet I bought there for work only lasted about six swings before the handle broke. $4 down the drain. How can you fück up a rubber mallet?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know I've been lucky so far. I bought a high speed buffer from them for $18. Polished and waxed my 34' boat twice with it so far. Still works fine. A friend of mine bought a hydraulic crimping tool from them for $50 that we've been passing back and forth to crimp battery terminals and larger diameter cable connections for the past 7 years. Still works fine. Dunno when either will rapidly and explosively decompensate, but for how often I use them and how much I paid for them, I'll be ok with it. Tools that I use regularly or require precision, hell no.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I've had several dial calipers (one digital) that have worked fine for me in an industrial setting. End wrenches I've bought there have performed just like end wrenches from Snapon- but without the inflated cost or warranty. I've broken two 9/16 end wrenches over the years. I've lost more, but then again a full set costs less than one Snapon end wrench. I've got a pretty good heat gun that came from HF that works great. I bought a micro-lathe there that worked great for the couple of years I had it. Didn't use it enough so I sold it, but sort of wish I'd kept it. The impact sockets I got there have worked fine, but I've had less luck with ratchets. Luckily I still have a couple good Craftsman ratchets in my tool collection. I bought a vibrating tumbler to clean brass with (gun brass) that still works great at half the price of a Lyman and is all but identical. Lots of knick-nacks and little tools work pretty good. Those little hand-forged pairs of scissors they carry for a few bucks are awesome. And the diamond hones I bought there I use at work all the time, and at home frequently.

But their tape measures are rubbish, their squares are wishful thinking at best, and most of their power tools are for occasional use only. I'll never buy a grinder again that's not a Matebo (probably won't ever need to replace the one I have) and Milwaukie makes drills just as good. I'm through with their hammers and their air fittings are junk.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it's worth, the melted milk ug trick worked like a charm. It slid across the rim like KY on a truck stop door knob. I might make another lever with a smaller bar, this one is a bit unwieldy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That thing looks like shit... but if it works, then cheers to you!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bahaha

and links should look like THIS
I like the bar! I used the harbor freight bar that came with the tire changer for a while, combined with their normal 24" tire changing lever, and two short ones. I finally splurged on a no-mar bar, or a mojolever, I can't remember which is which. I got one of them! and a container of no-mar tire lube. I'm probably due for some new tires before the end of this season so I'll see how it goes! I like your home-made bar. I definitely would've tried to make one if I had a welder.

Forgot about the mojoblocks! I'll have to order some of those soon. Normally I just cut 2" pieces of bicycle inner tube and slide them over the rim clamps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts