Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had intermitent hot start issues on my '14 SPD. I recently took it to a reputable dealer for the 12K service and I mentioned that very topic. When they did a diagnosis the rep said the starter motor is drawing too much voltage ??? but only when hot. They replaced the starter, one I supplied from Rick's Electric Motorsports, tested it and said all's good.
Nein! My first ride post service and the hot start problem is still there. The fuel pump runs but the starter just struggles. If it sits 20-30 minutes it will start straight away. I don't think it's the starter.
What say you all. It's a puzzle to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I too and a handful of others with 11-16 models are experiencing the same/similar issue with no resolve.
Mine Is a 2012. I first experienced the issue 2yrs after ownership from new.
The problem is a bitch and very intermittent in nature . Its happened to me once at the USA/CA boarder crossing.

In the past. A 20min "time out" would have it up and running again...and then there were time's, the wife had to drive out to my location with the Optimate to get it started.
Originally suspected the charging system. After all it being a triumph, but the charging system always checked out.

The symptoms I've experienced are as follows:
- Key in the run position.
Press start button and get either a very weak/brief crank with no start.
or
Press start button and get nothing or a single click.

The battery would read 12.2v with ignition off. I don't think she likes 12.2v very much....12.4-12.6 and its a very different outcome.

Replacing the battery has solved the problem for aprox 3yrs at a time before having to replace the battery yet again.
So if your battery is older than 3yrs. I'd suggest you replace it with a high CCA ver.

Side note:
Battery used to date. Motobatt MBTx12U. No longer listed for our model by manufacturer, and now replaced by the following:
MPLX14AU-HP Motobatt LifePo4
MBTX14AU Motobatt 12V AGM
MBYZ16HD Motobatt 12V AGM

I will be using an Yuasa YTX14H-BS come spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost exactly how you described. In fact I rose today. It started straight away. I come home shut off the bike, try a restart and the battery is acting like it's doa. The first time I experienced the issue I did replace the battery . And, as you said, the problem went away for about 3 years. So, I'm at 6 plus years into ownership of a new 2014 SP3. I'm thinking it's the battery again but why the heck is it not receiving enough charge to start the bike when hot?
My current battery is a Yuasa. And this niggle is a pain. I can't be sure if I go to the gas station that it will restart. Though it will restart, so far, with a 20-20 minute rest.
I am currently charging the battery. We'll see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this exact problem on my Sprint ST 1050 several times. Let it cool, cranks right up. I'm interested to see if it persists now that the weather has cooled off. No indication of a single issue on my bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts