Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another starting problem

I've searched for starting problems and found a number of threads, but none of them sound quite like what I have going on. Most are issues with the engine turning over for an extended period, before finally firing up (hopefully). This is not my case.

My Triple behaves like the battery is nearly dead even after replacing it with a brand new unit a few weeks ago, especially when the bike is warmed up.

Cold start is a little slow in turning over the engine, but after riding until it's warm, if I stop the bike and shut it down, at restart the engine will barely crank through what sounds like a compression stroke. With the old battery it would take a couple of attempt before getting it to kick over and firing to life, but even with the new battery the starter struggles though turning it over when warm. I've made sure the contacts are tight and clean at the battery, and after changing it a few weeks ago, I left it on the Battery Tender until I went to ride it Friday. I tested the voltage at 12.65 before leaving the house. I rode for 30 minutes, shut it down and on restart a few moments later, same slow-to-turn-over behavior. Slightly faster than with the prior stock battery, but still not like it should be.

It's a 2006 1050 with about 13,000 miles.
Bike is mechanically stock.
Temps are in the 30's to 50's.
No wicked clank noise from the starter as some note with sprague clutch issues.

This evening I was unable to get it started after gasing up, and after sitting in the parking lot of the local mini-mart for about five minutes, it finally loosened up and fired up. I just walked out into the garage to check miles on the odometer, about an hour after coming home, and it started perfectly. Fuck me. :violent1:

Any ideas what else to check?

· Registered
2,445 Posts
12.62v is NOT charged. 13.10v-13.15v is fully charged.

Get a battery charger, and check your charging system output - stator, regulator, etc.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POWER-TRIPP said:
12.62v is NOT charged. 13.10v-13.15v is fully charged.

Get a battery charger, and check your charging system output - stator, regulator, etc.
Cool.  Thanks.  I spent better part of this morning reading posts about stator/regulator problems and was starting to sweat.  After getting home tonight I used the voltmeter on the Triple to find the following- The bike has been sitting in the garage for the past 24 hours...

At rest, key off - 12.87v
Key on, not started - 12.20v and within 10 seconds had dropped to 12.00v
Started, at idle - 14.58v
4k RPM's - 14.23v (dropped a bit, but ok?)
Ran for 2 about minutes, shut down - 13.32v and dropping pretty fast

I threw it back on the Battery Tender which is currently metering out at 13.4v.  I'm going to let it charge overnight and pull it off before I head to work, and then check it with the voltmeter in the evening.

So, based on those readings, would you recommend checking the stator and regulator too (just found the how-to's), or am I just looking at a shit battery in need of replacement?

· Registered
30,727 Posts
My guess: Rectifier. Sometimes the diodes in the RR go bad and leak voltage while the bike sits.

Could also still be the battery. Some times you get a bad 'un that won't hold a charge.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

· Registered
11,446 Posts
I just recently bought a new battery. The guy at the battery place told me that if a battery has been run flat as few as one or two times it can ruin them, and then they wont hold a charge. Something to do with the plates and sulphur.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Crashmasterd said:
My guess: Rectifier. Sometimes the diodes in the RR go bad and leak voltage while the bike sits.

Could also still be the battery. Some times you get a bad 'un that won't hold a charge.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Try disconnecting the battery immediately after you stop the bike. If the voltage still drops then its the battery.
If the voltage doesn't drop then I'm with Crash.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Check the earth from the battery to the frame/engine[can't remember which] and the starter connections.

Could be loose or bad ground.

??? ???

AA

· Registered
50 Posts
I had a strange prob with my 06 S3 just the other day. Rode to work all good. After a fun filled work day I jump on the bike turn on the key waited for the fax machine to stop hit go and no go, one crank and no more. So turned it off said fuck a few hundred times turn the key and nothing not even the instruments cluster, its completely dead try it again nothing. I thought it must be the stupid fucken idiotic fucken ridiculous dumb fucken park lights left on. Rang wifey and told her to get her ass to the bike shop for a new battery. She arrives replace the old with new and the bike starts first pop. So I get home and put the charger on the dead batt and it won't accept charge at all. So I did some research and find that in sunny Brisbane Australia (or other hot places) batteries, if left for a while (not being charged) of say a week or more tend to sweat and this causes the shit inside to start to break down so if this happening on and off over a 12 month period this stuffs the batt and the cells die. I am not sure how true this is but the recommendation is that, if you aint gonna ride for abit leave it on a batt tender. It starts like a champion first time every time now.

· Registered
2,445 Posts
Reaver said:
... So I did some research and find that in sunny Brisbane Australia (or other hot places) batteries, if left for a while (not being charged) of say a week or more tend to sweat and this causes the shit inside to start to break down so if this happening on and off over a 12 month period this stuffs the batt and the cells die. I am not sure how true this is but the recommendation is that, if you aint gonna ride for abit leave it on a batt tender. It starts like a champion first time every time now.
It happens in all batteries over time. It is simply harder to recover batteries that are discharged. The worst thing you can do to a battery is leave it discharged for long periods of time.

The plates become covered with sulphur oxides. This coating prevents the acid in the cells from being able to make contact witht he plates, and produce voltage.
Many new chargers have a "desulfide" function that helps to break this free from the plated and allow them to charge like new. I desulfide batteries (mine, and customer's) regularly.

· Registered
5 Posts
Do you remember what the issue was with the bike or do you still have it? My 07 speed triple has been a headache. Bought it non running, replaced the stator, even took apart the starter and nothing.

Here is a video of it trying to turn over. Did yours sound like this? thanks in advance!

[video=youtube;Q9SF6CLP9Uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9SF6CLP9Uk[/video]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts