Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a Sprint RS 995i for a loaner from my dealer. Above 4000RPM everything is ok, but below that the torque is non-existent. The problem is that with speedy I'm used to slow down for traffic by just letting the motor idle on first gear. The bike pulls forward with no problem. But with this loaner this is impossible. It feels like it's gonna stall if I don't keep the RPM higher than idle. And when I do that the velocity is too high.

So how the hell does one ride slowly with this thing???

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Keep the revs above 4000 rpm and slip the clutch a lot.

A 1050 S3 will spoil us all. ;D

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
awww hell, I wouldn't trade my torque monster fer nut'n. But sometimes wring'n the piss out of a little 600 is just good ol' wholesome fun. :smitty: ;D I'm sure the 955 isn't that bad in that thang, but as far as cruising with it, just keep the revs at 9k rpm. :D

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just keep the revs up and slip the clutch? ???

That's just crazy talking! :violent1:

I want my speedy back! :'(

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
cheapbastard said:
awww hell, I wouldn't trade my torque monster fer nut'n. But sometimes wring'n the piss out of a little 600 is just good ol' wholesome fun. :smitty: ;D
Yep, little different riding technique, but fun never the less. Not to hijack too much, but spent some quality time on an 07 GSXR 600 Sat. Fun bike for sure, but not fun enough to even consider trading the S3!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
You should complain! I used to have a Speed Four- Had to keep the RPMs over 7000 to get ANY performance out of that thing. Sounded like a weed eater. All the HP was between 10,000 and 14,000.

But fun as hell for short periods of time!

G

·
When i sold my broke down speedy i bought a naked Yamaha FZ6 back...Nicknamed it the Yamiha. Everyone and his mother has a frigin yamaha and they even make piano's...i aint riding no yamaha, its a yamiha...sad lil oll me...

Well all in all its a fun bike, noticably lighter then the S3 but lower quality components and...no torque unless you wring it up to 14k rpm, im getting into it now and its a fun ride but nothing compares to my old speedy's kick ass torque from the get-go. Slipping the clutch doesnt even work on my yamiha, its like im flicking a switch on / off. Good for fast take offs and quick shifting but god damn i miss a slippable cluth.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. It looks like it was just rusty from a long break in riding. It's still nowhere near 1050 in low RPM torque, but tolerable. It's a shaky ride on idle RPM's but it won't stall.

Holy shit this bike feels lighter than 1050!! WTF is up with that? A lot more flickable than speedy. It responds a lot better to counter steering and feels lighter in general. What's the real life weight difference here? How come this is so much more flickable? Is there something wrong with my speedy?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Assuming the motor is running properly, the lack of perceived power may be caused by the stock gearing. I had a 2000 model Sprint RS and it felt very strong at lower rpm - once I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. Woke it right up. The motor has the same tune as that year's Speed Triple and the weight isn't much different either. Give it the same final drive ratio and it performs much the same.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey, at least you got a loaner bike.

The TT has ZILCH below four grand. Easy to stall. Above 8K though? Much fun. Like everyone has said, it's more fun if keep it up.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the bike. It leaks oil and I can't make it power wheelie. Come on.. it's 955, it should power wheelie almost just like 1050? It feels like I'm riding CB600 or my friends 650 yamaha.

·
Registered
122 Posts
crashmasterd said:
You should complain! I used to have a Speed Four- Had to keep the RPMs over 7000 to get ANY performance out of that thing. Sounded like a weed eater. All the HP was between 10,000 and 14,000.

But fun as hell for short periods of time!
I looove my Speedfour, Totally different ride, Love getting it out to the twisties and tap dancing the shifter!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
premier said:
Hmm. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the bike. It leaks oil and I can't make it power wheelie. Come on.. it's 955, it should power wheelie almost just like 1050? It feels like I'm riding CB600 or my friends 650 yamaha.
Is that a Speedy? If it is yo shit brok bitch!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bichomalo said:
premier said:
Is that a Speedy? If it is yo shit brok bitch!
No. It's a Sprint RS 955.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
premier said:
Come on.. it's 955, it should power wheelie almost just like 1050?
Not hardly- Very different torque curves, and it's got at least 10 fewer horsepower than the 1050. The 955 Sprint RS really can't be compared to the 1050 Speed Triple as far as Wheelie ease.

Still a great bike though. Almost bought one myself.

G

·
All the power at 10-14k? :finger:Not so. I ride an S4 . Not exactly a powerhouse but it has some power . A S3 will out power a S4 but won't outhandle one . Can't say for an 05-07 s3 but yes from 96-04 . In fact an S4 has as much power as a 96 Speed3 ans about 70 lbs lighter.
A S4 in the twisties likes to be between 7k and 11k . Best for tire grip . I've leaned my S4 low enough to drag my finger tips on turns where on some bikes I would have lost footing and layed it down . The S4 is just powered enough where it's hard to wheel spin which is what makes it great in the twisties . Excellently balanced bike . It might be the smaller sibling of the Speed Triple but is some areas it is better . And some it's not . I love riding with Speed Triples . They blow my doors off in the straightaways but in the turns is where I make my money. Same when I ride with my Gixxer buddies .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts