Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

How much is enough -power/torque?

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  kuhlka 
I don't know in terms of numbers how much would be enough. Stock is close, but I do love those free and cheap mods. I like to see low and midrange power. Shoot, that's why I bought the triple. I'm happy to see you working on the airbox. I wanted to start fooling around with velocity stacks, but I wouldn't know where to start, and I don't have the means to test and tune. With your cold air intake, are you getting more intake noise? I would like to get more intake growl out of my bike, but the poplular consensus is not to mess with the airbox. I want to thank you for being the guinea pig.

In terms of gearing, I went +2 on the rear sprocket. I like it so much I think I will go +3 when the chain wears out and I switch to a 520 set. But on the down side, of course, is cruising RPMs on the highway are higher. I would like to see a taller sixth gear. It seems that the jump from 5th to 6th is smaller than any of the other gear changes.

In another thread you compared intake cams from the Daytona, 1050, and 955 triples. Would a 955 intake cam bolt into the 1050 engine? Or is a custom grind required? That's another mod I would consider if it didn't destroy the low end power.

I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't experiment with the airbox because everyone else said it isn't a good idea. I merely meant I wasn't going to mess with the airbox until someone else did the experimenting for me. ;D At the moment, I can barely afford to own my Speedy, and I certainly can't afford to mess it up.

There are well known intake mods for other poplular biked, ie: DRZ 400, Z1000, SV650/1000, that involve nothing more than a hacksaw or spare washers. I was hoping to find something similar for the Triple, but it seems Triumph owners are a little more hesitant to mess with something that works so good out of the box. And for that, I thank you for being daring and devious enough to break the mold.

When I bought the bike, I wasn't going to touch it, save for comfort items: seat, handlebar, etc. However, after reading you posts, I feel my inner modder coming out. I think my dremel may see some use this winter! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.