Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
So today I changed my coolant over to Engine Ice. I read and followed the manual to the (T). After I drained the coolant, I filled it with distilled water. I started the bike. Ran it a few min. Shut it off. Drained it again. I did this process two more time, until the fluid was clear. After attaching the hose I filled the system as normal. Questions......it only took one jug of Engine Ice to fill the system. That's 1/2 gal or 1.89L. The manual says that the system holds 2.89L. I just don't get it. Has the cooling system changed? Did I miss something? Answers anyone??????????????

P.S. My ride is a BLUE '07
The manual was for the 1050

*********NO COLOR JOKES PLEASE*********

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Air pocket/bubble?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Could there be 1 liter of fluid trapped in the coolant system when you drain it? You said you drained it three times to get the coolant to run clear. As long as it reads full after a run cycle, I guess you're OK. :drink:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But, if there was trapped water still in the system....I only added 1.89L of new fluid. That will dilute it WAY down now ....... ??? It should have taken 2.8L of new coolant I would have guessed....... :-\

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the ride out today for a nice 50 mile ride. Everything seem fine. Now that I think for it, the stock coolant in the overflow jug was a light blue color. When I pulled the bottom hose, everything changed. The coolant from the rad and engine case was a light off gray color. It looked like dirt mop water. It had some stuff floating in it. The stuff looked like someone added a tea spoon of pepper. There were little black and white pieces floating in the pan, after all the coolant was out. I also noticed what looked like a few small pieces of paper looking matter. Kinda like, small, wet pieces of gasket material.?????? This is definitely not what I thought it would have looked like after 400 miles. The top of the rad and cap already started collecting slime scale. Have they changed the cooling system for the newer 1050's, like they changed over to a smaller oil cooler?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I picked some Engine Ice up today and my dealer told me that my the system is 2 liters according to the service sheets in the shop.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
There were little black and white pieces floating in the pan, after all the coolant was out. I also noticed what looked like a few small pieces of paper looking matter. Kinda like, small, wet pieces of gasket material.HuhHuh This is definitely not what I thought it would have looked like after 400 miles. The top of the rad and cap already started collecting slime scale. Have they changed the cooling system for the newer 1050's, like they changed over to a smaller oil cooler?
When you changed to the Engine Ice, did you flush the system with a white vinegar/distilled water mix?

Out of curiosity, I went to the Engine Ice website, and they recommend the water/vinegar flush each time the coolant is changed.

Most anti-freeze uses ethylene glycol as the active ingredient, where Engine Ice uses propylene glycol. A glycol is a double alcohol - a compound with two -OHs attached. Alcohols and glycols readily mix with water, and the resultant mixture has a different freezing point and boiling point than plain water. The compound you mix with water, and the mixture ratio, determines what freezing/boiling point you'll have. :wrench:

The point to this is that ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are similar, but different, compounds. If you did not flush the system well with a water/vinegar mixture, the new anti-freeze could be kicking up scale deposits. These little flakes and clumps shouldn't do any harm, but could end up plugging a couple of tubes in your radiator.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
sorry to resurect this but what did ya finally do?...mine just took the same amount...one jug...did ya leave it?...like that?

G

·
I just flushed it twice with engine ice...worth wasting a little of it. The manual has been wrong many times.

After I filled it and ran it up to temp, while still running, I cracked open the nut at the top right of the radiator to "burp" it free of any bubbles, then topped it off with a few ounzes, if that at all.

(before I burped it it ran hot as hell so I figured I had a bubble in it)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Same thing happened to me when filling with distilled water. I've been running fine ever since, including two trackdays. I even started it with the hose off to make sure everything came out...

Don't worry about diluting the engine ice, unless you're worried about freezing.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
you shouldnt do drugs...your a cop :slap:

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
DirtMcGirt said:
MIS3 said:
, unless you're worried about freezing.
what is this freezing yall speak of :fingure:
:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts