Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,379 Posts
Never. It'll be either a bigger or smaller motor based on the 675. The 1050 motor doesn't suit a sportbike if Triumph wants to compete with the Big-4 and other euro bikes. I'm thinking either a 900ish sportbike or a new evolution of the Daytona 1200 to go toe-to-toe with the Hayabusa... Now THAT would be sick. Triumph already said in Torque magazine in that huge article about the release of the 675 that they had taken engineers off their 'busa-killer' project to work on the 675...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,016 Posts
We've discussed this to death, but what do you think Kuhlka? 900 cc based on the Daytona 675, or an all new 1200+ cc Daytona "Busa Killer"? Which will we see first? (or at all?)

My money's on the 900. It wouldn't weigh much more than the 675, yet would have significantly more horsepower- kind of like a Suzuki GSXR 750 on a steriod/crack cocktail. I also think it's silly for them to try to compete with the big four in the horsepower wars. They'll stick with what they know: Excellent handling bikes with useable horsepower.
 
G

·
The 2008 busa is out (well details relased) bigger engine, twin fuel injection per cyinder, 12.5:1 compression ratio etc, I've heard rumors of 180rwhp, dunno how true that is. Details at suzuki.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Last time I went to my dealer, they said a couple of their guys went to a Triumph training and were told that a 1050 Daytona was in the works and would be the bike to have. If it turns out anything like the 675, it'll be impressinve. Diddn't the 675 get bike of the year twice?


BTW, I'm sure i'll get a ride on one of those busa's in october, i'll let ya know how it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
One more time.....


They already have a 1050 Daytona, it's called 1050 Sprint. That's the only version of 1050 with fairings we're going to see.

We might get bigger bore version to compete with Busas and ZZR1400.

If we're going to see a supersport liter bike it's going to be a completely new engine design or something based on the 675.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,379 Posts
The 1050 Sprint ST is nowhere near even a 955i Daytona. My wife has one. While it is a great handling bike and pretty comfortable, it is definitely more tourer and less sport. The brakes for one are laughable, the suspension is middle-grade (but comfy), and the power is subdued compared to a full-on sportbike.

There would be plenty of room in the Triumph lineup for a 900ish supersport. I'd rather see a bike that could compete with my 1098 though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
premier said:
One more time.....


They already have a 1050 Daytona, it's called 1050 Sprint. That's the only version of 1050 with fairings we're going to see.

We might get bigger bore version to compete with Busas and ZZR1400.

If we're going to see a supersport liter bike it's going to be a completely new engine design or something based on the 675.
Like I said, the "1050" Daytona" As I was told, wouldn't use the current 1050 motor. Maybe it won't be a 1050 even, but its purpose would be to compete in the litre bike class. (Don't tell DB) I think there's a bigger market in the litre class than the god awful fast class. Triumph needs to ht that class with something new. If they do I'm sure it'll be an awesome bike, like the 675.
The 1050 Sprint ain't the replacement of the Daytona, it'll be worth losing Speedy for if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
J-Pip said:
premier said:
One more time.....


They already have a 1050 Daytona, it's called 1050 Sprint. That's the only version of 1050 with fairings we're going to see.

We might get bigger bore version to compete with Busas and ZZR1400.

If we're going to see a supersport liter bike it's going to be a completely new engine design or something based on the 675.
Like I said, the "1050" Daytona" As I was told, wouldn't use the current 1050 motor. Maybe it won't be a 1050 even, but its purpose would be to compete in the litre bike class. (Don't tell DB) I think there's a bigger market in the litre class than the god awful fast class. Triumph needs to ht that class with something new. If they do I'm sure it'll be an awesome bike, like the 675.
The 1050 Sprint ain't the replacement of the Daytona, it'll be worth losing Speedy for if necessary.
If that isn't worth a throat punching I don't know what is.... :slap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,016 Posts
Dfib said:
J-Pip said:
premier said:
One more time.....


They already have a 1050 Daytona, it's called 1050 Sprint. That's the only version of 1050 with fairings we're going to see.

We might get bigger bore version to compete with Busas and ZZR1400.

If we're going to see a supersport liter bike it's going to be a completely new engine design or something based on the 675.
Like I said, the "1050" Daytona" As I was told, wouldn't use the current 1050 motor. Maybe it won't be a 1050 even, but its purpose would be to compete in the litre bike class. (Don't tell DB) I think there's a bigger market in the litre class than the god awful fast class. Triumph needs to ht that class with something new. If they do I'm sure it'll be an awesome bike, like the 675.
The 1050 Sprint ain't the replacement of the Daytona, it'll be worth losing Speedy for if necessary.
If that isn't worth a throat punching I don't know what is.... :slap:
Screw the throat punching, I think that's worth a throat stomping!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
I know this is :horse:


I never thought the Daytona 955i competed with the big 4. I alway thought it was more refined, classy, and easier to ride, even tour on. The daytona was a sport bike you could have as your only bike and be happy.......try that with a 1000rr.

Fuck class leading HP, tweak the 1050 motor a little, add a fairing, use speedy's chassis and BAM a kick ass 1050 daytona.

I alway thought of the daytona as a gentleman's bike, busa beaters will only attract the squids in large numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,379 Posts
I was referring to acceleration and track handling with my comment about the ST not being in the same class as the 955i daytona. Aside from that, the T595 Daytona hung along with the Big-4 and was ranted and raved about back when it first premiered, but Triumph just didn't have the money to keep upgrading and keeping pace with the japanese.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Funny, I just left the Dealer's setting up an appt. to try the BMW's for work. I asked about the 1050 Daytona. (asked a different person) and was told absolutely not. He bugs his Triumph rep about it every time they talk and was told that it wasn't happening. SO possibly desregard all that i've said on the matter. Maybe in 2009?? But don't count on it is what I was just told.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
J-Pip said:
Funny, I just left the Dealer's setting up an appt. to try the BMW's for work. I asked about the 1050 Daytona. (asked a different person) and was told absolutely not. He bugs his Triumph rep about it every time they talk and was told that it wasn't happening. SO possibly desregard all that i've said on the matter. Maybe in 2009?? But don't count on it is what I was just told.
J-Pip you only hear what you want, You are a COP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Go figure it was the service guys that told me it was coming and the sales manager that told me it wasn't. Seeing hoe the service guys are a bunch of slackers (to put it nicely) I'll go with the sales manager on this one.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top