Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing it tonite or in AM-gotta watch "Dancing w/Stars" now ,but after doing a brake job on my "race van"
this PM I am kinda tuckered out. You ought to see this Ohlins-WOW! Beautiful and it is all set up for my fat butt -just plug and play according to Dan Kyle (ace Honda RR tuner/engine builder) who sells them. Check his web site . I am prob going to do the forks a bit later -my son has threatened to steal my Triple again and I am no too sure he wont do it this time. He is at Ft.Polk and waiting to get out of the Army after 15 months in Iraq and a total of 6 years service. Maybe I will let him have it.?? Then I can get a new Tiger. Will let all know how the Ohlins works when I get it installed and tested. What fun!!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Let me know how much the Ohlins improves the ride and handling.
I have always been impressed with their products and just put Ohlins coil-overs on all four corners on the Lotus. The ride improved, and the handling is like being glued to the pavement.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Very good idea Cata.

I know RaceComp was also talking about putting Ohlins on his S3. Maybe he can give us an update and his impressions as well.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
cheapbastard said:
HiVel said:
Doing it tonite or in AM-gotta watch "Dancing w/Stars" now...
sorry Hivel, I didn't git past right there, what did you say? :shocker: :wtf: :shocker: :wtf: :shocker:

:violent1: ;D
I'm curious about the "race van"....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Catahoulabulldog said:
I am going to speak with GMD computrack and see if I can get someone to lurk over here, or do an online Q&A for suspension questions at some point.

best part about the Ohlins adjustable, TOTALLY adjustable..
We oughta get Steve Larson With annitori Dist. and Peter so and so from Wolf also. They've been a great help to others.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an Ohlins on my bike, with the Race Tech springs. All the other upgrades take a back seat to dialing in the suspension IMO. It will transform your bike. :wrench:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was not prepared for the work involved-thought it would be easier but I have a M/C lift and a centerstand on my bike so that made it possible at home. I used a chisel to cut the clamp on the stocker and remove it fairly easily. Putting the Ohlins on required some fiddling as it is a tight squeeze through the hole in the swingarm and I was trying to avoid complete dissassembly of the rear end which I did. All set , torqued , lubed and tuned by Dan Kyle for my bike and my weight-ready to ride.
This piece of equipment is incredible!! It absolutely transformed my bike! I screwed the fork adjust to two lines showing to stiffen it a bit and set rebound and compression at 1.5 turns out. We will do the fork later. That rear shock is the best money I have spent on this motorcycle ! The motorcycle is like it is on rails. small bumps are not even felt and large ones are just a thump and no wiggle, wobble, or any other jumping around. No falling in on slow curves-handled great. Unbelievable. My test loop is about 60
mile of mostly 2 lane, small mountain and curvy, sometimes bumpy road. (Goes by 29 Dreams) I really could not believe th eway thos mod changed th erate I was able to get through this ride. This is one hell of a piece of equipment if you like to ride fast. It will move you up a couple of notches very easily. Sure footed and fast riding can be yours. Felt safe at speeds previously unatianbable. Got mine from Dan Kyle (Honda RR tuner and engine ace-check his web site). This all started in a search for a special tool and a guy named "Lord Duck Hunter". Thanks Hunter!! (can you figure out what kind of ducks he hunts??) This is so much fun!

·
Registered
173 Posts
HiVel said:
Sure footed and fast riding can be yours. Felt safe at speeds previously unatianbable. Got mine from Dan Kyle (Honda RR tuner and engine ace-check his web site). This all started in a search for a special tool and a guy named "Lord Duck Hunter". Thanks Hunter!! (can you figure out what kind of ducks he hunts??) This is so much fun!
I have had one on since November, but I am still messing with settings. Do you know what yours are?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The man is Dan Kyle at Dan Kyle Racing Engines (Honda RR tuner) phone is 1-831-394-1330 or web site is [email protected]

Great guy, very knowledgable and I did not touch the settings- I do not know what they are but it works! Just install and ride! He is the largest Ohlins dealer in theUSA!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i will check the sag later-right now I am enjoying the ride! I talked to another Triple rider with one he got the same place and he said it was right on the money and felt glued to the road! Very Good equipment if set up well. Rain coming soI will follow up my break in ride later

·
Registered
83 Posts
Devious said:
Waiting on mine now. THANKS HiVel!

I will do a step-by-step instal thread.
Hey Devious,
Did you ever post a step-by-step? I'm going to install my ohlins this week and could use any info you've got (or anyone else has got). Any issues or shortcuts?
Cheers,
Zohar

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here are the steps I took, for anyone who might need them:

• Used rear stand to raise bike
  • Put block under rear tire to keep it from dropping when shock is later unbolted
  • Used car jack on top of rear tire to support rear subframe of bike to keep it from dropping when shock is later unbolted
  • Cut metal band hold stock shock reservoir using metal shears (couldn't get to screw to loosen band)
  • Loosened exhaust cannister straps and unbolted exhaust midpipe (using arrow dual cans) so I could move it enough to have room to pull out bottom shock bolt
  • Removed bottom shock bolt
  • Removed top shock bolt
  • Hung shock in place with a zip tie so I could work on reservoir
  • Shoved stock reservoir out of it's nook (towards right side of bike, angled downwards, and towards front of bike)- this was the most difficult and time consuming part b/c the reservoir was bracketed in by plastic flaps. I bent the right side flap and forcefully shoved the reservoir through. The Ohlins reservoir mounts elsewhere so it might be easier to cut/grind down a blocking flap. Also, I had removed the evap canister a while back which gave more room to work. Once the reservoir is out of it's nook, you have limited space to turn it and thread it back through to follow the shock out of the bike.
  • Threaded Ohlins res and shock up through shock-hole(?) in bike (res first). Might want to leave protective bags on them during this part since they have to be worked around a little, but they will fit.
  • Note that the Ohlins res mounts on top of the frame cross bar just behind the top of the shock (towards the rear of the bike).
  • Loosely bolted the shock in place using the top bolt
  • Loosely zip-tied the res in place with the rubber mounts (included with shock) between the crossbar and the res
  • Loosely fastened the res in place with the metal bands that came with it
  • Cleaned and re-lubed the bottom shock dogbone assembly and re-bolted (loosely)
  • Pulled block from under tire
  • Removed car jack from top of tire
  • Tightened top and bottom shock bolts to shop manual spec (48NM and 100NM respectively)
  • Tightened reservoir bands
  • Re-fastened exhaust

Done!

Entire process took around 1-2 hours (most of the time was spent puzzling over the stock reservoir removal. The Ohlins mounting spot is easier to access and allows more air to get to the voltage regulator.

Good luck!
Zohar

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
So the Öhlins reservoir is too big to fit into the stock reservoir's place? Or why did you mount to the different location?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Martin_R said:
So the Öhlins reservoir is too big to fit into the stock reservoir's place? Or why did you mount to the different location?
It's probably about the same size but the hose from the body of the Ohlins to the res will not reach the stock res location, as configured by Ohlin's. Ohlin's instructions deliberately specify the new location. It seems to be a better location b/c it gives easier access to the Ohlins compression adjustment knob, is MUCH easier to install, shows off the unit, and allows more air to get to the bike's voltage regulator. Pix will be in the member bikes album once approved by the moderator.

Cheers,
Zohar

1 - 20 of 56 Posts