Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the K&N. Like everybody else have said, the fit was poor. The rear part was distorted and I heated it with hot air gun and pulled it straight. Even then it did not quite drop in like the stock filter.

I also downloaded a new tune with slightly leaned cruise region. The fuel consumption at steady speed seems to be down quite nicely according to the onboard computer.

Has anybody dynoed the K&N and stock filter? I just got a pretty good deal and on my previous bike (bandit 1200) the k&N flowed so much more I had to tune the carbs all over.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just putting in the K&N should lean it out just a bit...if you leaned it out VIA tuning even more, it may be too lean..

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Additional airflow will only effect the top end, and only if the engine needs/wants the extra flow.

As you make more power, it helps more and more.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I also have a K&N. It was warped so bad they sent me a new one. So +1 to them for that. Afterwards they expected me to send them the old one back, on my dime. -1.

Sorry, no dyno run.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixing the warpage was a one minute job but I cannot praise the quality of the K&N. It was about half the price of the BMC though. The filter media and flow should be about the same.

The base tune was 20102TuneDyno (20088 with sai). I leaned the 2500-5000rpm with cruise throttle (4-20%) depending on speed. Seems to run ok.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Stock airfilter:

K&N airfilter:

I returned the K&N to the shop where I had bought it and they send it back to K&N. The dealer received the improved 1050 filter just a few days ago. Going to pick it up this week. Hope its straight!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you use the o-ring from the stock filter? I dropped mine in and it fit poorly. Looked at it and realized that it had no o-ring, so I used the one from the stock filter and it fit much better after that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is the warp issue (and the one I sent back):

Mine was replaced also. The new one fits, being less warped but just able to fit.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was the case here also. I heated it and pulled it straight. It was ordered from Germany and returning it would have cost money and no guarantee that the new one would have been better.

·
Registered
173 Posts
HarriS said:
I heated it and pulled it straight.
I was concerned that the material might be a thermoset, so I didn't try heating it. I guess it wouldn't have hurt to try, but I have a way of screwing things like that up. Next time I have it out I'll have to see if I can straighten it out the rest of the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts