The Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Speed Triple, Black, 2016
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the forum.
Please can you help. I have a 2016 speed triple, The original battery died on it over Christmas and I replaced it with a Lithium battery. There doesn't seem to be enough juice in the battery to start the bike. Has anyone experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
2003 Speedtriple
20 Posts
Welcome, whats the amperage on the battery? Is it not starting fully charged or is the battery not charging and running out of juice cause of that?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Besides need a full charge, lithium batteries need to be warm to give full power. Some people turn their headlights on for a few minutes to warm up the battery.

·
Registered
Speed Triple, Black, 2016
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi The lithium battery is a Shido-LTX14-BS 12v 48wh 4Ah. The battery doesn't start the bike properly when charged. I have to hold the starter down and open the throttle a bit so it catches. I have never had to do that before. It seems to run fine once started.

·
Registered
2003 Speedtriple
20 Posts
The battery size sounds large enough, dont have experience on the newer triples but I would guess those need less grunt to start. I have a ELTX12 (whatever that means) on my 2003 triple.

Are you sure its properly charged? Used to have a problem with my battery because the stock voltage regulator wasnt putting out enough of voltage. Lithium battery likes to get between 14 and 15 volts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A Lithium battery will either spin the engine over full speed or not at all. It will not crank the engine slowly unlike a normally lead acid/gel battery that is almost flat. However as has been said, a Lithium battery will not work in the cold, by turning on the ignition and leaving the lights on this will draw current and "warm" the battery up. If its spinning the engine and it won't fire up then its possibly a second error meaning that you need to hold the throttle open slightly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts