Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but didn't come up with much. How many miles do you get out of a full tank before the low fuel light comes on? And how many miles 'til empty do you have once the light comes on?
I clocked my light for the first time last fill-up. I only got 108 miles before the light came on again. My trip computer is claiming 38MPG, so with a 4 gallon tank I should be able to go almost 160 miles per tank.
Is my light really coming on with ~1.5 gallons of fuel left in the tank, or what? Some part of the ECU is a liar, and/or I'm getting terrible gas mileage.
I've never had a bike with a bar-type fuel gauge so I'm used to using the trip odo to calculate fuel stops. Since Speedy doesn't have a "reserve" I don't want to push too close to the edge. :eboy:

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
Search more. Your answer is out there...

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Trust me....stick with the odometer.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
ChattyS3 said:
I did a search, but didn't come up with much. How many miles do you get out of a full tank before the low fuel light comes on? And how many miles 'til empty do you have once the light comes on?
I clocked my light for the first time last fill-up. I only got 108 miles before the light came on again. My trip computer is claiming 38MPG, so with a 4 gallon tank I should be able to go almost 160 miles per tank.
Is my light really coming on with ~1.5 gallons of fuel left in the tank, or what? Some part of the ECU is a liar, and/or I'm getting terrible gas mileage.
I've never had a bike with a bar-type fuel gauge so I'm used to using the trip odo to calculate fuel stops. Since Speedy doesn't have a "reserve" I don't want to push too close to the edge. :eboy:
Ummm....you don't have a fuel gage. :violent1: 38 MPGs sounds about right. Actually all the numbers you are posting sound about right. I'd be really sweating at the 150 mile mark on one tank of gas though. I usually figure I have about a gallon left when the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never said Speedy has a fuel gauge. I was merely stating that I was used to using the odo as a "fuel gauge" since I've never had a bike with a bar-type gauge.
Thanks for the link... I'm bad at thinking of terms to type into the search function.

·
Registered
168 Posts
TRIP METERS LIE
mine says the same I usually get 100-120 mi before the fuel light comes on avg. 36mph if I go by the clock it says my mileage is 40+
My Monte Carlo SS says it gets 26 avg. but my calculation is 22.5
Use one of the trip meters & fuel @ 100mi
GD

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
greendemon said:
TRIP METERS LIE
mine says the same I usually get 100-120 mi before the fuel light comes on avg. 36mph if I go by the clock it says my mileage is 40+
My Monte Carlo SS says it gets 26 avg. but my calculation is 22.5
Use one of the trip meters & fuel @ 100mi
GD
Maybe yours lies because of the factory optimistic speedo error. The computer could tell you 26MPG, and you could calculate 22.5MPG, and that would be an acceptable margin of error in my book.
I hope when I use Tuneboy to correct my speedo error, I'll have a better idea of my mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Zero the trip meter when you fill up your petrol tank. Ride. When you next put fuel in note mileage on trip. Devide the mileage with the ltrs. Divide the ltrs by 4.54. This will give you mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts