Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do yourself a favor, pick up a magnet for your oil filter. You will be amazed at how much material gets picked up by a decent magnet atached to the oil filter. A strong one will also help change turn signal lights that use magnetic sensors.

No need to pay stupid money for specially made magnets for oil filters, I use a rare earth magnet that cost $6.40 or less - https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX8C4

Smaller and cheaper magnets will work as well.

I hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the reminder. I have one of those drain plugs with a magnet in my car. It's amazing how much crap gets stuck on it. I need to find one for the bike. Anyone know the size of the stock one?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered up some and dropped one on the plug before doing my pre winter oil change. Went for a nice ride and changed the oil.

Thankfully not covered as some of my Audi's had been with the magnetized plugs, but still a few small specs of metallic substances.

Worth the $11 bucks (including shipping)

Thanks Dev!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I might be a bit confused here... I've never heard of dropping anything besides oil in them thar nether regions- so correct me if I'm wrong here: The recomendation is to drop in a small, pebble sized magnet INTO your oil, uh, pan? This is used to collect any metallic junk that manages to sneak in, thus saving your engine from heartburn?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Back when I was wrenching on trucks for a living, we had a box full of torpedo shaped magnets. We dropped one into each oil filter at the service interval, and retrieved the one out of the old filter before we tossed them. Yes, it's amazing how much garbage gets stuck to one.

That's one method. Another is to buy one of those magnetic oil drain plugs (as mentioned). I've known some guys to just stick a big old speaker magnet inside their oil pan. This works, but it's tough to clean. You could also just stick one of those big donut shaped speaker magnets to the bottom of your oil filter (outside) and hope it doesn't fall off.

Question answered?

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
Very interesting info fellas,never even thought of that as an option before.Fn excellent. :wave:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Devious2xs said:
I use a $6 rare earth magnet on the OUTSIDE of oil filters.
i too am confusious regarding this....you just stick it to the outside of your oil filter?? just using the magnetism to hold it there?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey Devious, what does the magnet you use look like and how is it atached?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
DocPup said:
Devious2xs said:
I use a $6 rare earth magnet on the OUTSIDE of oil filters.
i too am confusious regarding this....you just stick it to the outside of your oil filter?? just using the magnetism to hold it there?
DocPup, yes. If you have a strong magnet it will stay put. If you look at the link Devious posted, you will note the 'pull force' of that magnet is around 86 pounds! I have used the same type of magnet to build the generator for a small windmill, if you get two of them stuck together it is a two man job to separate them.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Milq is correct.

If you take one of these magnets in the palm of your hand, another will hold to the back of your hand.

A few years ago, I bought 6 of these. I use them on many vehicles, and have never had one fall off. On my S3, I place the magnet along the side of the filter.

For $6.40 each, (less if you buy several), these magnets are a good deal, and work better than the ones that are sold for $35-40.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
APtech77 said:
Dev, where did you find them....????
From the first post:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX8C4

BX8C4
# Dimensions: 1 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/4" thick
# Material: NdFeB, Grade N42
# Plating/Coating: Ni-Cu-Ni (Nickel)
# Magnetization Direction: Thru Thickness
# Weight: 1.22 oz. (34.57 g)
# Pull Force: 86.13 lbs
# Surface Field: 4185 Gauss
# Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
# BHmax: 42 MGOe

This is a very strong block in a very popular size.

I have used K J Magnetics for several projects. You may want to go through their selection and decide on something else. They have even stronger magnets in many sizes. I use this one because it is nickel plated and the correct size for many uses.

A couple of these might keep someone from steeling the bike. ;D 650 pounds of pull force - https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0Y08

KEEP MAGNETS AWAY FROM ECU

1 - 20 of 35 Posts