Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a couple of long rides this year, and want to revise what I carry in my tool roll.

What problems has anyone had while on longer rides on their S3 or other bikes?

I normally carry tools to remove the tank, airbox, bodywork, etc. and a few other items like wire, electrical tape, duct tape, fuses, headlight bulb, tire plug repair kit, mini volt/ohm meter, etc.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks munk!

Completely forgot about o-rings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
He's a banana bender so I apologise for the language :).

RACQ - Royal Automobile Club of Queensland. , RACV in Victoria and NRMA (go figure) in NSW and ACT. Our, slightly, relevant motoring associations that provide roadside service, maps, touring info and insurance. Original a co-op type of approach, now pretty much sliced and diced into full commercial corporates.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ruscook said:
He's a banana bender so I apologise for the language :).

RACQ - Royal Automobile Club of Queensland. , RACV in Victoria and NRMA (go figure) in NSW and ACT. Our, slightly, relevant motoring associations that provide roadside service, maps, touring info and insurance. Original a co-op type of approach, now pretty much sliced and diced into full commercial corporates.
Sounds like the way AAA used to be. Now it is just a a commercial enterprise of the highest degree.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Devious2xs said:
I am planning a couple of long rides this year, and want to revise what I carry in my tool roll.

What problems has anyone had while on longer rides on their S3 or other bikes?

I normally carry tools to remove the tank, airbox, bodywork, etc. and a few other items like wire, electrical tape, duct tape, fuses, headlight bulb, tire plug repair kit, mini volt/ohm meter, etc.
I do lots of long trips Devi, and I have a tool pack containing most of what you carry (less the headlight bulbs....the bike has two and you can buy em anywhere), and Speedy has never required any of the stuff. But I will still carry it, because the first time I don't take it....

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, the first time I leave without the tool roll, I wont make it to the border. :wrench:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I carry several nylon zip ties as well. They work great for hose clamps and keeping wires out of the way in an electrical repair. I also carry some extra wire for jumpers. The big debate of CO2 cartridgesor air compressor is never ending as long as you got something. I use a tiny air compressor due to the number of cartridges needed.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Etachell - What compressor do you use? I am looking for something smaller/lighter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Spare parts in case of a fall. For example, I broke my brake tip off my rearset during a low speed fall last December. I made it the five miles home okay with just the front brake, but I wouldn't want to be 1000 miles away, so I intend to carry a spare, especially since the tip will work on either side. Also, a few spare bolts/nuts in case something rattles loose.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I carry a small bicycle pump that can pump up to 90psi and an accurate pressure guage. The bike pump may take a while, but gets the job done. I once did a trip to the dragon from CT and my pressure was down a few psi after two days. I check pressure everytime I ride, a little OCD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got an el cheapo Campbell-Hausfield 12V air pump from Walmart and took all the plastic off. You're left with a little electric pump that will fit in your hand. Put on some alligator clips and you're set.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
littlefield said:
I got an el cheapo Campbell-Hausfield 12V air pump from Walmart and took all the plastic off. You're left with a little electric pump that will fit in your hand. Put on some alligator clips and you're set.
That is both funny and scary.
I have the same pump - with mini aligator clips that are crimped and covered with heat shrink tubing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Latest Small Pump...

Devi:

I used several lately. My usual trick was to buy the cheap little inflators for $10 and strip the pump and motor assembly out of the plastic case and use it bare. This brought the size of the pump down greatly and allowed for tight packing. Problem is, their a $10 pump.

My latest trick is to use the compressor out of an older Honda Goldwing Aspencade's air ride suspension. The pumps are tiny and have a much higher build quality. Sealed ball bearings are used for the crank and rod. They are already weatherproofed and have a higher air volume output. You can pick them up in motorcycle wrecking yards for next to nothing. I'll dig it out and snap a pic.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Etachell - GREAT find on the Goldwing pump. If you can get a photo, I will check into getting one from a local breaker. A little wire, a couple of clamps, a little hose,...

Again - GREAT IDEA!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts