Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I understand correctly that the 2007 models goes back to a metal gas tank?

I'm considering the Speed Triple and the Yamaha FZ1 now and find the idea of a polymer tank unsettling...

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
SOME colors will have the metal tank sooner than others.
I have only heard of a metal tank on two Green S3, so far, in the US. That is not to say there have not been others. I hear the flat black S3 is showing up with metal tanks in Europe - just not in the US in that color yet.

If a plastic tank unsettles you... :gayaway: :gtfo: ;D

Hooligans only!
;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Devious2xs said:
If a plastic tank unsettles you... :gayaway: :gtfo: ;D

Hooligans only!
;D ;D ;D
Heh. I don't like the idea of a fist size rock bouncing up and hitting my gas tank, doing the flaming Ghost Rider thing.

You're a hooligan, eh? I take it that means you don't wear a leather jacket because only wimps worry about road rash?

"Uh uh uh...I didn't mean that!"

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
donbcivil said:
Heh. I don't like the idea of a fist size rock bouncing up and hitting my gas tank, doing the flaming Ghost Rider thing.
Easy, just having fun. ;D

Actually the plastic tanks are very thick.
Ever seen a plastic fuel cell? They are thin, and much harder to puncture than any metal tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Devious2xs said:
Easy, just having fun. ;D

Actually the plastic tanks are very thick.
Ever seen a plastic fuel cell? They are thin, and much harder to puncture than any metal tank.
Cool. Just wanted to establish that I have hooligan potential.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Get the FZ...triumph speed triples SUK :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7: :sign7:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the plastic tank either, but I'd say if a fist-sized rock (or anything big enough for that matter) comes at you at speed sufficient to puncture your polymer fuel tank, you have much bigger things to worry about than a gas leak...like your skull!

Just a thought.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I can honestly say from personal experience that crashing multiple times does not cause fuel leaks. In fact, the cool thing about a polymer tank is they don't even dent, really. The Triumph tank is actually marked quite clearly "Acerbis" on the bottom. Thick plastic and very very tough! A completely different plastic than the bodywork and front fender.

Given my experience with crashing metal tanks, I'll take a plastic tank any day.

G

·
Me too. I'm really disappointed that Triumph has gone to metal tanks after all these years. A backwards step in my opinion. What's next, cabies instead of efi?

Phil

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Down with FI, up with carbs! Metal tanks forever! Bring back dual rear shocks and the sissy bar!!!! :horse:

G

·
Chuck the engine out and bring back the horse I say.

And a man with a flag to walk in front everywhere you go....

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Sorry DVS, you have to be the horse.
Hi Ho silver AWAAAAAAY.
:horse: :horse: :horse:

PS Don't know if a fist sized rock would hurt most of you guys' heads.

Me, I'm a Nancy boy. A rock sized fist would do me in. :wave: :wave:

AA

1 - 20 of 24 Posts