Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Good. I will want to see progress on your wheelies.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I cant until I figure out my coolant issue and get new tires. I have a plug in the rear tire....giggity........and the coolant keeps boiling over on me. Fan comes on when it should and bike stays cool while riding, but as soon as I stop, the bitch starts pissing coolant.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I cant until I figure out my coolant issue and get new tires. I have a plug in the rear tire....giggity........and the coolant keeps boiling over on me. Fan comes on when it should and bike stays cool while riding, but as soon as I stop, the bitch starts pissing coolant.
2doggs, any other symptoms? You said fan comes on, is there coolant in your oil and or vice versa?

It sounds like you have a leaking head gasket. I've seen combustion gasses leak into the coolant passages and all that pressure will open up your radiator cap spring and leak from the cap. It can also make it to your reservoir and leak there. But it's also possible it could be an air leak getting in, maybe from the coolant hose between the radiator and overflow tank. Or even just a radiator cap.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
No other symptoms. Its a 2006 with 17,xxx. I've replaced the radiator cap, burped the system properly and visually checked for leaks. I don't see or smell any coolant leaking. I have not pressure tested it yet. Lots of action in the overflow tank though once it heats to seven bars. The tank fills up and boils just before the fan comes on, then it gets drawn back into the system after the fan starts. The temp hangs around six and seven bars. I'm baffled. Last year I loosened the cooling system at the radiator to get to the header nuts. I needed to tighten them down. I then flushed the system by undoing the lower hose that goes to the water pump. Nothing I haven't done before. Do you think I cranked the header nuts down too much? I didn't torque them, just tightened the ****ers down with my arm strength. I have arms like garden hoses so I wasn't worried about over doing it. Oil is clean, but smells a little like exhaust fumes. No white smoke in the exhaust either. I'm gonna check all the hoses again and remove the fuel tank today to get a look at the overflow tank and hoses. I hope that's all it is. If it was a head gasket or hoses, wouldn't I see seepage around it?

This may sound stupid, but would a bad thermostat create these symptoms? Is there a temp sensor I should consider?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would reflush the system. But with an actual garden hose. Remove the coolant and then flush until the water is as clear as when you put it in. Be sure Put in the right mixture of coolant. Then wash the outside of the radiator. A regular sponge and soap works and only put the nozzle on mist or in your case shower. Light pressure. It sounds like the coolant can makes it's way through the radiator when engine speed is high and can't when it's low. So a clog is likely the Culprit

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I have flushed the system routinely with distilled water ever since I've owned it. I've been the only owner. What would cause a clog? I only used Engine Ice or something similar. Always premixed. I've never had tap water in it and I'm leery of doing so because of the large amount of mineral deposits in my city water. I'm going to check the water pump today and I will flush the system again...with the hose this time. Thanks for then tips.

Note: My issues have moved to here http://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/trouble-shooting/26160-cooling-issue.html#post545978

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Im not sure of any from the southwest part. Where is SoDak are you?

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's MN's wonderful US Senator. A bunch of middle class white people not voting in their best interests.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Franken Berry

21 - 40 of 71 Posts