Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
those of you who have done 500 + mile days on Speedy! I managed just over 350 yesterday before I decided it was enough, Corbin saddle helps for sure but I was still pretty sore. Seems like I recovered well overnight, the rest of the trip was a breeze this morning (175 miles). Now that I have complained....it still beats riding my rigid frame on the same trip. I think I could have done the entire trip if traffic had cooperated, but I kept getting stuck behind slow vehicles etc. I never got above 45 mph for almost one solid hour yesterday, so it's more of a time issue I think. (the 350 took a total of 7 hours 45 minutes...not a lot of fast moving in parts of the trip) I hate the interstate and got to see a lot of good scenery, so it all works out in the end.

The best part of the trip so far has been Ohio highway 3 in the Mohican State park area, beautiful place!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
milq said:
those of you who have done 500 + mile days on Speedy! I managed just over 350 yesterday before I decided it was enough, Corbin saddle helps for sure but I was still pretty sore. Seems like I recovered well overnight, the rest of the trip was a breeze this morning (175 miles). Now that I have complained....it still beats riding my rigid frame on the same trip. I think I could have done the entire trip if traffic had cooperated, but I kept getting stuck behind slow vehicles etc. I never got above 45 mph for almost one solid hour yesterday, so it's more of a time issue I think. (the 350 took a total of 7 hours 45 minutes...not a lot of fast moving in parts of the trip) I hate the interstate and got to see a lot of good scenery, so it all works out in the end.

The best part of the trip so far has been Ohio highway 3 in the Mohican State park area, beautiful place!
Is there any benefit to tweaking the shocks for longer hauls where you don't need the perf handling? Just a thought.

Congrats on a nice long ride. You have more miles in that trip than I have on my bike so far :(

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
Done shitloads of 700 to 800 km days.One thing i have done recently is back of the front preload to number 4,it made a fair bit of difference to the jarring effect without any loss to handling.I have the compression on the front set to 2.5 turns out which seems to be the limit on mine and it has completely changed the bike.I weigh 86 kg if that's any help,ride on! :popcorn:

G

·
Is there a big difference between the stock seat and the Corbin. I had a Corbin on my zrx and it was great. I really struggle riding a long time on the highways.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ranger32 said:
Is there a big difference between the stock seat and the Corbin. I had a Corbin on my zrx and it was great. I really struggle riding a long time on the highways.
So far I'd have to say yes to that. With the stock seat I was hurting at 100 miles. As far as suspension settings, I don't know. My discomfort is pretty much all from sitting on that one spot for so long, or so I think. My back, etc feels fine, it's just that my legs and butt got sore. With my other bikes the pain has always been in my ummmm "upper butt"/tail-bone area, this bike gets me more in the legs.

Keep in mind these three things:

1. I'm 6'2", 250 lbs, so I put some serious pressure on ANY seat.

2. I have a poor history with long distance riding on my two other bikes (I have had 3 different seats on one of them)

3. The Corbin literature says it will take around 2K miles to "break in" the seat, I now have 1K on it (and hoping that they are correct).

I will say that I seem to recover quicker on Speedy, where my other bikes have required 30 minute gas stops for stretching, I was stopping for 15 minutes on this trip

·
Registered
469 Posts
If I've got 500 miles to ride I'm taking the Dyna-Wideglide.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I agree, the stock seat was like a torturevrack compared to my Sargent. Now the only limiting factor is my legs cramping up, although my arms are long enough that I can either stand perfecly upright, or sit on the passanger seat and stretch them out while underway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My sargent arrives tomorrow...stock seat sucks balls over 50mi...

I'm 6'1", 200lbs (working towards 180lbs :bs:)...hoping the new seat helps as I regularly go for 200mi++ rides

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Snotrocket said:

I'm 6'1", 200lbs (working towards 180lbs :bs:)...hoping the new seat helps as I regularly go for 200mi++ rides
I think you're gonna like the new seat. My Sargeant is one of the best investments I've made!!

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
most I've miles I've done so far is 400 miles on the stock seat(yes, my ass was a hurt'n). Now I've always said I haven't had a problem with the stocker, but I got to sit on Hivel's speedy with the Sargeant, and I rode Devi's bike a little with the Corbin, and I must say, both are a huge improvement. I could see me getting one on down the road maybe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wear a pair of padded cycling shorts under my riding pants when I do longer rides. I find it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
JontyG said:
I wear a pair of padded cycling shorts under my riding pants when I do longer rides. I find it makes a huge difference.
Tried it but the pad makes me feel weird.....

I've had the best luck with "underarmor, heat gear" compression shorts under my mesh riding pants. I'm starting to think keeping the giblets cool is 90% of staying comfortable.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Snotrocket said:

I think you'll like it. I'm the same size as you (well, a little heavier.) With the stocker I was always moving around trying to get comfortable. With the Sargent, I can stay in the same spot the whole ride.

I'm starting to think keeping the giblets cool is 90% of staying comfortable.
Keeping your cash and prizes cool is the key to success in any situation.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
tomstumble said:
Has anyone ever tried some type of throttle lock. On the hightway my right arm starts to fall asleep after a hour or so. :eboy:
Stay off the highways! :horse: :horse: :horse:

G

·
What I do for long rides is to map out good roads . Even 100 mi on a shitty road turns the enjoyment of the ride into a chore . Good scenery , higher speeds and knowing good places to stop are the key . When I was in the Military I used to ride 780 miles each way on the weekends home on a Yamaha SRX-600. A Street thumper . Want to talk about a soar ass ang numb hands? But with some good roads to get your mind off of everything you can ride forever .
And if you plan on doing long rides Givi makes a cool visor for the Spd 3 and Spd4 .

:lh: <That's a cool icon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 on preplanning better routes than the highway- you can be sore/ cold/ hot/ hungry, but when you find a good stretch of speedy friendly road- nothing matters... Of course the stock seat sucks for anything over the length of my driveway! Haven't tried the compression shorts from cycling yet, but that underarmour stuff is worth its price!!!

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
Another trick is to wear disposable nappies under your jeans or leathers.This gives added padding and you can piss and or shit yourself without having to stop,ride on! :poop: :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bucket said:
Another trick is to wear disposable nappies under your jeans or leathers.This gives added padding and you can piss and or shit yourself without having to stop,ride on! :poop: :eek:
isn't that like....ah hem....training to be an astronaut?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts