Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have to get this off me chest.

Have Triumph employed a load of MG Rover workers in their design studio. (for you guys in the U.S - MG Rover was a Budget car manf whose policy of reworking existing models and re-badging over years, selling them as MG ZF etc sports saloons, led to their ultimate downfall!)

By this what i mean is Triumph make a class leading naked bike - the S3 1050 - eveyone agrees its the dogs bollocks.

They make a class leading middleweight sports bike - Daytona 675. If youve ridden one and sports bikes are your thing - its the muts nuts.

So why are they messing - no, fucking around with two class leading bikes to make a "street Triple" that absolutly no-one wants. :violent1:

What are the possible advantages in changing the plastic tank on the S3 1050 to metal that does not look anything like the quality of the original - cost :violent1:

It does my head in that on my last factory tour, everyone in the room wants to see a sports bike from Triumph with the 1050 engine in. They say theres no market out there - just get with the fuckin program Triumph - leave the class leading bikes alone (apart from updates) and make the fuckin bike that everyone on the planet wants : :horse:

Thats it rant over

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
No one wants 675 speedy? Umm, the 600 class is the most sold class there is so there's definitely market for it. It's good for beginners and economical.

But yeah I agree about the kilo class sports bike.

And :repost: This topic has been discussed to death already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I've no doubt that the street triple 675 will fly off the showroom floor just like the Daytona 675, massive market for it, especially everywhere other than the USA although I think it will sell every one it ships to the USA none-the-less.

Liter class sportbike...I await with bated breath, although I think it'll have to be larger than 1050 though, the current 1k I4's are just so frikken powerful and it'll be total nonsense to half-step in this class.

Whaddya say? new 'big-tona' or revived 'hurricane' for 2010?

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
Id have to say its in the right market. most of my riding buddies have 600's and allot have converted them to street fighters. or strait up cheap naked bikes especially after a crash. If the pice is right, and I hear it is they will hit the mark yet again..

believe it or not. ;D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I hope it does well, as long as they don't scrap the real deal Speed Triple in the future because it does well. The way I see it, if they sell more bikes and build a larger customer base, they will have to respond to the complaints better in order to keep that customer base. Right now, most of us will probably agree that the dealers and corporate could use a boost in the area of customer service. (I know, some dealers are great...I have one that is)

·
Registered
972 Posts
jasonworthing said:
Yeah, I've no doubt that the street triple 675 will fly off the showroom floor just like the Daytona 675, massive market for it, especially everywhere other than the USA although I think it will sell every one it ships to the USA none-the-less.

Liter class sportbike...I await with bated breath, although I think it'll have to be larger than 1050 though, the current 1k I4's are just so frikken powerful and it'll be total nonsense to half-step in this class.

Whaddya say? new 'big-tona' or revived 'hurricane' for 2010?
This has been discussed many times...I think our passions get the best of us but when it comes to marketing guess what?

Triumph can't compete with the Japanese liter bikes. For 11k MSRP you can get a top of the line sportbike from the japanese. A 1050 is 10k (not including deals and wheels), so what is the standard squid (no pun intended) going to go for....you got it....the GSXR-1000.

We speed triple riders have one thing that no sport bike rider has...style, class, and a mean bike that gets looks from everyone. Anywhere you look you see sportbikes, hell nobody can distinguish them anymore...but when you see a speed triple...people's heads turn. This is something that the Japanese cannot capture, no matter how many blowhorn exhausts they make for their akira looking monstrosities....do we really care for a liter class sportbike....why we are riding one already...if you want the agressive look drop the bar, put some clipons, get some custom fairings, a power commander, and guess what...you got a pretty damn fast sport bike that will beat a Hayabusa in the first 100 feet after a red stoplight.... :pow:

The good news....there is always good news somewhere....is that more and more people are riding bikes in the US than ever, and the majority of 30 somethings like me have traded in their sport bikes and have begun to actually enjoy the riding experience without being in the crouched position going 145 mph. You also have to contend with insurance rates...which are substantially cheaper on a 1050 than an R6 class bike (most of the time).

So this is why triumph made the street triple, which I think is genious...they are offering a slight detuned 600 class sportbike that is less expensive, attractive, and will more than likely be substantially cheaper when it comes to insurance rates...also the name street triple will help with insurance rates...trust me I know...

I think a lot of our problem is that we compare it to our 1050s and 955s...it is a completely different bike and as a matter of fact if I get the chance I will be purchasing one of them....The more I look at it the more it grows on me, I have been toying with the idea of a daytona 675, but I think the street triple will do...of course now I have to find a way to get the money... ???

G

·
It's going to go down to marketing . The Street Triple I think is going to start out good . They had to have learne from the mistakes they made with the Speed Four . Awesome bike . First they overpriced it . Then they get the price right and fuck up again by then discontinuing the tt600 and doing to the Daytona 600 . By the time they realized what they did it was doomed .
I think they released it just in time . Right after the new 675 and now a middle S3 . Looks good but lacks a little identity . Seems like a downsized Speed Triple . The Speed Four looked simular to a S3 but had more identity ( the snorkels , Box Frame, etc ) . But the Street Triple I think is going to take off in the US , UK , and Europe.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Bucket said:
I have no opinion as i can't think now after looking at Jason's avatar. :eek:
ya know...i am done...but she just keeps going

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Avatars aside, back to the subject:
Triumph made 40,000 bikes last year, and introduced the 675 Daytona and Tiger. This year, they're bringing out the Street Triple, and the new big twin cruiser (1600cc). Next year, maybe they'll come out with the 1200cc Sportbike, priced between the CBR1000 and Ducati 1098.
If you look at the range of models Triumph makes, they need to increase their share in several markets before they can expand their range. As it is, Triumph makes about a dozen different models, based on four engines (675,865,1050,and 2300). In comparison, BMW sold about 100,000 units last year, and they have about fifteen models based around four engines (650,800,R1200,and K1200).

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
anyone think that there will be any changes to the speed triple for 08?? or are they too busy with the street triple?

G

·
I thought Triumph was laying off on the big bore sportbikes . Triumph thinks they can't compete I guess. I think the 955i was/ is a kick ass bike . On the grounds of a 1600 twin cruiser I can see that coming .
To see Triumph come out with a Ducati killer or even a bullet bike to go after the ZX-14 and Busa would be really interesting . In fact I'd love to get my hands on an older Daytona 1200 . Triuph fails to realize is that they are more or less in the margin of Ducs and Beemers . What they lack in performance they make up in style . Look at a ZX-11 and a Daytona 1200 . Both bikes over 10yrs old but look at the styling . Get the point ? Anyone agree?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Simple forecast;

2009, 'Big D' resurfaces in 1100+cc glory in a frame light enough to compete with Ducati and a motor powerful enough to squeeze between the Big-Four. It won't be a reality-shattering revelation, but it'll be big, bad, and beautiful to behold. Otherwise, they won't release it.

They haven't a prayer of competing with the sales of the Japanese otherwise.

Considering Torque magazine revealed that the team which was previously working on the 'Busa-killer' project was moved to develop the 675, I have to believe they were then promptly moved back to said project to complete it using 675 technology. They developed the 675 VERY quickly. I believe they'll do the same for the new Big D.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I have to agree with kuhlka on this one. A big Daytona is almost surely in the works. It's a fact that no motorcycle company can just sit back and live with it's current model lineup (unless you're Harley - Johndeer - Davidson). Therefore you KNOW they're working on something.

I think:

1600 cc vertical twin: Very likely. Spring 2009?
1200+ cc Daytona: Very likely. Summer 2008?
1200+ cc Speed Triple: Possibly. Spring 2009? (As a compliment to the Daytona.)
2300 cc Rocket based Goldwing style Full Dresser Touring bike? Would make sense. Any Time? Spring 2008?

I talked to a factory Rep at my dealership one day. He said that the Daytona 675 engine was fully capable of being massaged into a 900cc derivative. So....

900cc Daytona: Possibly. Spring 2008?

This last would be an interesting bike. One of the latest mags did a bit on the 675 v/s the GSXR 750. The Gixxer won, but not by leaps and bounds. Imagine a Daytona with the 675's weight and awesome chassis, but 30% more horsepower and a flatter torque curve. It's tough to outclass the GSXR 750, but Triumph might be able to pull it off. They're unlikely to be able to compete with the liter bikes but this is a niche they might be able to pummel their way into.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If they can pull off the kick ass 675 engine I can't see any reason for them not to be able to make a kick ass 1000 engine? The fact that they made 675 shows that they can squeeze the hp and torque from the cc's available. Chassis they already have.

Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they can't do it.

But yeah, it's VERY VERY hard competition and there's no point for half assed tries. They need to absolutely nail it to survive.

But here's the question... will triumph go with the supermoto/hypermotard trend?

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
premier said:
But here's the question... will triumph go with the supermoto/hypermotard trend?
Very good question.

I'm going to guess no, for one simple reason. The single biggest market for Triumph is North America, and Americans just haven't been bitten by the Supermoto bug yet. They simply don't sell here.

Triumph is going to make more bikes that will sell in the States where bigger is better: That's why you'll see a 1600 cc vertical twin before you'll ever see a supermoto. Notice how the Tiger is getting more and more sportbike like. I think a 675 supermoto would be super cool, but you won't see it any time soon.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
crashmasterd said:
premier said:
Very good question.

I'm going to guess no, for one simple reason. The single biggest market for Triumph is North America, and Americans just haven't been bitten by the Supermoto bug yet. They simply don't sell here.

Triumph is going to make more bikes that will sell in the States where bigger is better: That's why you'll see a 1600 cc vertical twin before you'll ever see a supermoto. Notice how the Tiger is getting more and more sportbike like. I think a 675 supermoto would be super cool, but you won't see it any time soon.
OMFG :eek: That would be AWESOME!

The whole idea with the supermoto trend is to have a cheap and light bike (good power/weight ratio) that can do everything. They've done Tiger already which is a "multi use bike" and there's rumors of 675 tiger already. So I don't think the triumph supermoto is far fetched idea at all. All other european bike manufacturers have already come up with their own variations of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.