Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change the bars on my '01. Anyone with some tips? I'm nearly ready to order the woodcraft clip ons. I was trying to find a site that has the Renthal ultra low bars but haven't had much luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm debating getting different bars, or just cutting a half inch or so off the ends of the stock ones. Problem is, there's that slug on the inside, which means the bar-ends won't work without some sorta alternate rubber bushing.

I used to be in the anti-clip-on camp, but the more I see of 'em, the more I like 'em, and as long as my back holds out I'm thinkin' why not.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Those Tommaselli bars are getting my interest as well.
Decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
445 Posts
I run a set of Telefix Profi clip-ons, seen here http://www.whaccessories.com/Handle%20bars.htm.

They're 4 way adjustable, and can be raised even higher with a spacer from Wild Hair Acc. With the standard adjustment and raised all the way up they're about 1" taller than standard clip-ons, so you get rid of the big bars without completely giving up on a comfortable riding position. And the adjustability lets you figure out what you want yourself. Only problem I had was about a 5 week wait, WHAC orders them direct from Germany if they don't have any in stock.

On my bike I have them set about as high as they will go, you can see in the pic that they're about the same height as the top clamp.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My bike is fitted with clip-ons and they really give the triple an even more aggressive stance.... however my bike is the most uncomfortable bike in the history of motorcycles. (slow speeds)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the Woodcrafts on my 03. They were very low. Here are some pics showing stock bars and Woodcrafts:

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=54430&forum=19

I then went to Raask Laverda Adjustable bars (Omar's has them online). These worked with the stock risers and put me in a pretty comfortable position. They just didn't seem very solid (there are 2 adjustable joints on each side that tend to come loose periodically). See pics in this thread:

http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php?topic=414.0

Just the other day I installed some Daytona clipons that have about an inch and a half of rise. These were much better than the Woodcrafts (and they clamped on too which is great because you don't have to screw around with removing the top clamp). BUT... they are still not high enough to really be comfortable. Don't get me wrong - they are the cat's ass on short rides and twisties. I bought these clipons off from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250114216178&rd=1,1

The guy said they were Tommasellis but he also said they were stock from a Daytona. Did Triumph put stock Tommasellis on Daytonas at any point? I don't know but they are 45mm clipons and they fit very well.

If I could afford the bars I want I'd go with the adjustable Tommasellis with rise. I just can't bring myself to pay the $200 or so for them.... yet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
R100Pilot said:
I used to be in the anti-clip-on camp, but the more I see of 'em, the more I like 'em, and as long as my back holds out I'm thinkin' why not.
Don't forget your fairing...

(hint, hint: Click on TRat link above) :devil:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just put a bid on some Daytona clipons from ebay.
I love this bike, but it just puts me in the wind more than I'm used to.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
The Gilles Tooling Variobars are beautifully machined, but expensive at $300. I lucked out and found them on ebay used for $150. I'm going to get the risers so I have full adjustability and put them about an inch above the triple clamps. Right now they're aggresively low (lower than my seat) and perfect for racing, but not so great for long trips unless I'm laying on a small tank bag.

I'll get pics one of these days.

·
Registered
352 Posts
7Speedy3 said:
I run a set of Telefix Profi clip-ons, seen here http://www.whaccessories.com/Handle%20bars.htm.

They're 4 way adjustable, and can be raised even higher with a spacer from Wild Hair Acc. With the standard adjustment and raised all the way up they're about 1" taller than standard clip-ons, so you get rid of the big bars without completely giving up on a comfortable riding position. And the adjustability lets you figure out what you want yourself. Only problem I had was about a 5 week wait, WHAC orders them direct from Germany if they don't have any in stock.

On my bike I have them set about as high as they will go, you can see in the pic that they're about the same height as the top clamp.

do those seem sturdy? worth the money?
did you have to change your headlight mount?

·
Registered
445 Posts
They're plenty sturdy, this is the second bike I've run them on. I had the misfortune of crash testing them back in May when I was rear ended :violent1:, over 4 grand in damage to the bike :violent1: and the right side clip-on was still straight, despite hitting the ground after the bike was thrown on the right side :pow: ( I had just put the damn things on like a week before, after the 5 week wait!!!!). It did slide it around the fork tube on its clamp, but that's all I've ever seen them do (never had them slide up or down), and never under riding situations, including a few days at the track.

I don't know about the special bracket, because I have the one from Wild Hair that mounts the headlights to the forks and moves the gauge cluster. My best guess is this, since the LSL's with a 1" raise hit the stock position headlight/gauge mount, I would say that some placements of the Telefixes' might hit the stock set-up, most likely the higher postions (like the one that I use.) But since I don't have the stock set up, I couldn't say for sure. I haven't had them hit anything in any of the positions I've tried.

Personally, I think they're awesome. They're well built, have a lot of adjustment possibilities, and so far with a few thousand miles on each of my bikes, I've had no issues. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Hope this helps! :beer:

·
Registered
352 Posts
they sound really nice. i am trying to decide which ones to get. i like the
adjustability of these.

is there any benefit / downside to mounting the headlights and instrument cluster
to the forks?

·
Registered
445 Posts
nicholsb420 said:
they sound really nice. i am trying to decide which ones to get. i like the
adjustability of these.

is there any benefit / downside to mounting the headlights and instrument cluster
to the forks?
Mostly aesthetic. It moves the headlights and gauge cluster closer in to the bike, which is why I did it. It also means that your headlights turn with your forks, which is nice in turns as long as you're not leaned over much, otherwise it doesn't help. I always thought it looked goofy to have the wheel turned and the headlights not, but maybe I'm just used to old bikes.

It also moves the headlights a little higher, which was a slight downside for me in the looks department, but on the whole I think its great, gives the bike a different look. The gauge cluster is quite a bit closer to the triple clamp, which looks wayyyy better, but means you have to look a little harder to see it...

Here are some before and after's, sorry, changed the bars at the same time, but you can get the idea.

before

after

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
will the triumph flyscreen still be able to mount to that? Not sure how it mounts up... it hooks up to the instrument cluster, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts