Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally visited the local CycleGear store since it has been open for almost a year. They were offering 20% off all helmets - so I tried on about two dozen! ;D

I picked up a new KBC FFR (flip front) in flat black. Damn comfortable, surprisingly light, and it fits my big, round melon perfectly.
The locking mechanism is simple and works with a touch of the thumb right under the chin. It locks open or closed securely. The interior is fully removable for washing.

So now I add yet another lid to my collection. :eek: Even though I generally wear my Shoei X-11 or KBC VR-1 most of the time.

Oh, and I picked up a new set of grips today as well - black and gray Progrips (nothing fancy).

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife would say my melon has a slow leak, and I can only damage the road with my hard head.

But I try to keep a lid on it. ;D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I like the KBC stuff - excellent quality for the money, and they do some cool graphics.

For everyday riding, the flip-front can't be beat - you can drink, smoke, have a conversation. Makes it easier to put glasses or sunglasses on, too.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Not bad at all. I've been looking for a cool flip up helmet for a while now. It needs to have an integrated sun visor too now that I've gotten used to it on my Schubert S1. That kinda narrows the options down.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just go this one. It's a 700, the 1000's weren't out yet and I couldn't wait. My other lid, a fullmer (Read:piece of shit) wasn't gonna do it. I love it.

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
I have the Scorpion EXO 400 and its a pretty comfortable lid... best part its fully washable interior.. those of us that are hair challenged might.. umn... perspire more? and its always nice to have a clean smelling lid ;D

I do however wear my ARAI Astral X VDB red got a good price as they stopped making them most of the time..

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
i dont trust that those flips are going to stay in tact in WCS...has any real frontal impact testing been done on them?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I don't believe they get the full ratings that a full face does. I'm pretty sure you can't wear one at the track, not that track use was it's intended purpose. I wouldn't mind one for work. Anythings better than my 1/2 shell.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I really like my Scorpion EXO 700 too. Like Smashtime, I didn't have the option of waiting for the new EXO 1000. I bet that new helmet's going to rock!

This is my second Scorpion, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The First one saved my mellon! And at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of an Arai or it's equivalent that's a steal.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
J-Pip said:
I wouldn't mind one for work. Anythings better than my 1/2 shell...
... and short sleeved shirt ???

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DirtMcGirt said:
i dont trust that those flips are going to stay in tact in WCS...has any real frontal impact testing been done on them?
I saw a friend crash a boat while wearing a Nolan flip front lid - it held up fine to a direct blow from the dash of the boat that cracked the dash.

I actually think they may be stronger around the face than a normal helmet due to more material there - especially after looking at this KBC. If you hit anything hard enough to damage the helmet, your brain is going to take the brunt of the impact (inside your skull), and your neck may not be in great shape - even if your face is fine.

As for testing, they have to pass the same testing as regular helmets - not that I think the testing in the US is done correctly.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
i have a flip up and think it's great. nice to pull up to a gas station and just flip it up and be able talk and not feel so enclosed :police:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you all care for your helmets?

I use Zaino Brothers polish on painted helmets - www.zainostore.com
On face shields, I use 210 Plastic cleaner/polish - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/210cleaner.php Much better than Novus or Plexus.
I also use military antifogging kit, M1 - a cloth impregnated with an anti-fog liquid, used for military gas masks and available at some military surplus stores.

I keep my lids in helmet bags when not in use.

I try to buy helmets with removeable interiors so they can be washed when needed, but once a year I use a couple different sprays in the ones I can't wash.

What do you use?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got an older Arai with non-removable liner. When it gets too nasty I stick it in the dishwasher no heat cycle then dry it out with a fan.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Littlefiels - GREAT point! I wash my Bell and Simpson (car/boat) helmets in the dishwasher too. They can get really NASTY smelling after a season of racing in the Southeast US humidity.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I "wash" the exterior with Honda polish. It works very good on the shield too, much better than plexus IMHO. Plexus seems to leave more of a film on the shield.

Got the anti-fog shield for my HJC, and don't have fogging issues anymore.

Most of the pads are removable, but I'll use a little febreeze to freshen it up if I'm feeling too lazy to wash it. ;)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
i use the tried and true "when it starts to smell buy a new helmet method"
works everytime ;D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts