Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

New brain bucket.

4K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  Chewie. 
#1 ·
I finally visited the local CycleGear store since it has been open for almost a year. They were offering 20% off all helmets - so I tried on about two dozen! ;D

I picked up a new KBC FFR (flip front) in flat black. Damn comfortable, surprisingly light, and it fits my big, round melon perfectly.
The locking mechanism is simple and works with a touch of the thumb right under the chin. It locks open or closed securely. The interior is fully removable for washing.

So now I add yet another lid to my collection. :eek: Even though I generally wear my Shoei X-11 or KBC VR-1 most of the time.

Oh, and I picked up a new set of grips today as well - black and gray Progrips (nothing fancy).

See less See more
#4 ·
I like the KBC stuff - excellent quality for the money, and they do some cool graphics.

For everyday riding, the flip-front can't be beat - you can drink, smoke, have a conversation. Makes it easier to put glasses or sunglasses on, too.

#7 ·
I have the Scorpion EXO 400 and its a pretty comfortable lid... best part its fully washable interior.. those of us that are hair challenged might.. umn... perspire more? and its always nice to have a clean smelling lid ;D

I do however wear my ARAI Astral X VDB red got a good price as they stopped making them most of the time..

#10 ·
I really like my Scorpion EXO 700 too. Like Smashtime, I didn't have the option of waiting for the new EXO 1000. I bet that new helmet's going to rock!

This is my second Scorpion, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The First one saved my mellon! And at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of an Arai or it's equivalent that's a steal.

#13 ·
DirtMcGirt said:
i dont trust that those flips are going to stay in tact in WCS...has any real frontal impact testing been done on them?
I saw a friend crash a boat while wearing a Nolan flip front lid - it held up fine to a direct blow from the dash of the boat that cracked the dash.

I actually think they may be stronger around the face than a normal helmet due to more material there - especially after looking at this KBC. If you hit anything hard enough to damage the helmet, your brain is going to take the brunt of the impact (inside your skull), and your neck may not be in great shape - even if your face is fine.

As for testing, they have to pass the same testing as regular helmets - not that I think the testing in the US is done correctly.

#15 ·
How do you all care for your helmets?

I use Zaino Brothers polish on painted helmets - www.zainostore.com
On face shields, I use 210 Plastic cleaner/polish - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/210cleaner.php Much better than Novus or Plexus.
I also use military antifogging kit, M1 - a cloth impregnated with an anti-fog liquid, used for military gas masks and available at some military surplus stores.

I keep my lids in helmet bags when not in use.

I try to buy helmets with removeable interiors so they can be washed when needed, but once a year I use a couple different sprays in the ones I can't wash.

What do you use?

#19 ·
I "wash" the exterior with Honda polish. It works very good on the shield too, much better than plexus IMHO. Plexus seems to leave more of a film on the shield.

Got the anti-fog shield for my HJC, and don't have fogging issues anymore.

Most of the pads are removable, but I'll use a little febreeze to freshen it up if I'm feeling too lazy to wash it. ;)

#21 ·
briank said:
i use the tried and true "when it starts to smell buy a new helmet method"
works everytime ;D
At $500 or so a pop for an X-11 that gets a little expensive! Every helmet I've bought for the last 20 years had a removable liner that you can put in the clothes washer. If they get ratty you can buy replacement parts too. Of course, you do have to replace helmets eventually.

#22 ·
legman said:
Hey Jpip....here's a web page shows a few pics of Victorian state motorcycle police officers and their uniforms (and their bikes)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/t2pa/goto.htm
  Nice looking uniforms.  I have some serious concerns with what we wear.  I've talked to my supervisors abuot it too, but they havn't heard much.  One of the other guys fell during a 2 mph u-turn and tore through the pants (a wool knit).  Some kevlar panels or something in there would be nice.  As well as a jacket.  I don't even have a leather jacket for the motor.    Kind of frustrating, but, I refuse to do anything more than write tickets on it.  I won't bust ass to any calls, just put through twon near the speed limit.  And in that Pic, I wasn't actually riding that day, just grabbed my helmet for a quick ride on a friends zx-14

Dev, I just use water and a micro fiber cloth on my helmet and visor.  I've tried the KBC's HJC's adn ICON helmets, they don't seem to fit my noggin.  The Shoei fits nice and an arai seems to fit even better.  Wish their prices would come down.

#23 ·
I have a big, round head.
Shoei fit is OK (noisy), the Arai doesn't fit well at all, the KBCs fit very well.

Try to talk your department into buying Kevlar under garments - shirts and pants. Tell them they can be held liable for injuries. Several departments around the country have been sued.

#24 ·
legman said:
Hey Jpip....here's a web page shows a few pics of Victorian state motorcycle police officers and their uniforms (and their bikes)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/t2pa/goto.htm
"You hear me Bronze? We KNOW who you are!"

...and here we thought those were just costumes in "Mad Max."

#25 ·
Where is a good source for those Aussie "Bronze" boots?

I wouldn't mind having a set. I wouldn't mind at all. 8)

Goose: [describing the supercharged Interceptor that's idling, in particular the supercharger itself] You can shut the gate on this one, Maxie... it's the duck's guts!

Barry, MFP Garage Mechanic: [excitedly] She sips nitro... with Phase 4 heads! 600 horsepower through the wheels! She's meanness set to music and the bitch is born to run!

Goose: [looking at Max just staring at the engine] He's in a coma, man!

#26 ·
J-PIP, I feel for you guys mate. Being from England, the bike cops there are well protected and geared up. It has always baffled me as to how the country that created CHIPS doesn't have a more modern approach to bike gear and clothing. I mean, it is obvious that at some point, you are going to go down, you guys are good at what you do, but seriously????!!! I don't understand why they wouldn't want to protect you guys better. If they can invest so much money into vests, and training and such like, I'm sure they can afford to buy you a jacket and pants.
In fact, the bike cop that stopped us in the mountains at the weekend (see "worst weekend of riding ever!!") got to saying the same as you. His supervisors won't pay for protection. So, he has bought the padding himself and had it sewn into his pants. and had also bought a black jacket, and will have all the badges sewn on it.
Ok, I'm done with my rant now, you can go on about your business...there is nothing to see here. :police:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.