Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-
I have a new '22 Speed Triple RS, and just caught this video:

The video is cool to me in many ways:
1)It is shot in a location that I spent a lot of time riding bikes/having fun as a much younger person
2)The video presenter is clearly a supersport fan, but is also clearly impressed with the Triumph
3)Bren Tuning (BT Moto) is where I got the flash for my '20 R1 and it's a monster now
4)20+ hp and 10 ft/lbs of torque!!

Seriously, I am very happy with the tune I got from BT Moto for my R1. They were the first to crack the ECU on that model (took over a year!) and the way it works is cool, too. They send you a handheld device that you connect to the bike's obdii port; you get two tunes with purchase and can store the OEM tune on the device and can change anytime, and buy more. The device is also a diagnostic tool that can read/clear codes on your bike that I've used a couple of times since. Pretty cool.
Anyway, I will definitely be getting this for my Speed Triple-I'll post the results!

· Registered
4,532 Posts
It's interesting that BT-Moto claims on their website that "At redline, the Speed Triple's redline only allows for 68% throttle opening across the entire RPM range. This is something we rectified with our Stage 1 flash." Now that's not very good English and a bit hard to parse (have to say the same for the video) but if the stock tune never opens the throttle more than 68% then it's easy to see how they can get a lot more power then you would normally expect from just a reflash. The only thing that makes me nervous with this remap is they moved the rev limiter up substantially and who knows if the stock valves and springs will hold together at those engine speeds.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's interesting that BT-Moto claims on their website that "At redline, the Speed Triple's redline only allows for 68% throttle opening across the entire RPM range. This is something we rectified with our Stage 1 flash." Now that's not very good English and a bit hard to parse (have to say the same for the video) but if the stock tune never opens the throttle more than 68% then it's easy to see how they can get a lot more power then you would normally expect from just a reflash. The only thing that makes me nervous with this remap is they moved the rev limiter up substantially and who knows if the stock valves and springs will hold together at those engine speeds.
Yes, I know where you are coming from. I am typically a "keep-it-stock" type guy for the street. I've met lots of people on and off track that have tuned their engine somehow and have had all sorts of problems. The tune I did on my R1 was the first in over 20 years, and I was nervous about it. The bike runs great on the track, though. I even had a buddy that races R1's ride it last week on track and he was blown away with the mid-range, quickshifter (which was modified for track tune), and fueling on the bike vs. his 2016 model with a different tune. Additionally, I got two tunes with my purchase. I didn't put a pipe on the bike for about six months, and ran the OEM pipe/cat with a derestricted tune for stock exhaust. It ran great; more power that was easier to control. I've been running the R1 with cat delete and slip-on exclusively on the track (on 93 pump gas) and have had zero issues. As it happens, I use the extra midrange a whole lot more than the extra top-end. This is true or even more so for the street riding I do. For myself, I want the derestricted ecu more than I am worried about extra load on the motor.

· Registered
2 Posts
It's interesting that BT-Moto claims on their website that "At redline, the Speed Triple's redline only allows for 68% throttle opening across the entire RPM range. This is something we rectified with our Stage 1 flash."
That is an absolute load of BS. The throttle maps on the 21+ Speed Triple have been available through TuneECU for more than a year now. Outside of the rain map, throttle opening is at 100% all the way to 11200 rpm where it then clamps down to 90.4% up until 11400 rpm. The bike redlines at 11150 so 100% is 100%. The clamp north of 11200 is presumable for overshoot and an attempt to keep the valve train from grenading. The only limit on the Speed Triple is top speed at 245kph which could be removed to maybe get you another 20-30kmh depending on rider and conditions. Outside of the speed limiter and maybe personal adjustments to throttle maps or exhaust valve delete (all of which can be done for way cheaper than what BT Moto wants to charge you) there is no reason to mess with the ECU. Fueling on the speed, like most triumphs is really pretty good.

With that said it is well known the Triumph does limit throttle actuation on the current gen Street R (possibly not the 2023) to create some separation between the R and RS models. Maybe BT Moto is trying to capitalize on this well known fact or maybe they are just confusing the speed with the street, I don't know. There is no such competition with the Speed. The Speed is competing with hypernaked's where power figures generate sales, 175hp is already on the lower end of the common 200hp competition. There is no reason they would artificially limit power.

· Registered
1 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't claim to know about ECU tuning. I did, however, get a BT Moto flash for my '20 R1 that's been a huge improvement on the bike and I've had no problems. I know several people at the tracks I go to that have BT Moto tunes also, and they are happy. I plan on getting the tune, enjoying the performance gains, and not worrying for a second.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts