The Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Speed Triple RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Figured I would stop by and say hi. First Triumph for me after a long line of Aprilias. Coming off of a 16 Tuono V4 RR. Just picked up a 2020 Speed Triple RS. Almost ready for my first 500 / 600 mile service (mildly annoyed I have to pay to have it done purely to keep my warranty valid)

In any case here she is! Only thing's I've done so far is a taily tidy w/ a new tail light and adjust my suspension / ergos

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Sexy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Almost ready for my first 500 / 600 mile service (mildly annoyed I have to pay to have it done purely to keep my warranty valid)
Is this a thing with Triumph? I call BS (on your dealer, not you)

Saying that they won't honor warranty work because you did not do your break in service with them is suspect IMHO.

Curious as to your comparison between the new bike and your old Tuono.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2020 Speed Triple RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first Triumph and its the first time I've encountered anything like this. Historically I've serviced all my own bikes, which I mentioned during the purchase process. From what I was told when I called to inquire about getting my service light turned off, I was told that they have no issue with owners servicing their own motorcycles, however being that they cant verify that the service was done, it will void the engine portion of the warranty. Which seemed a bit odd to me.

As far as a comparison between the Tuono and the Speed RS, I only have about 400 miles on the RS so far, but initial reactions, the tuono is faster, but the RS is easier to ride fast. Suspension is a little hard on the RS in comparison, still fiddling with it to get it properly set up. Both have fantastic motors, the torque curve (flat as a table with torque everywhere) of the RS is amazing. The two things that I have noticed that I will miss about the Tuono, the seat was much more comfortable and the exhaust note on a cold start.

All in all the RS is much more well behaved, which is good and bad at the same time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gitter, get it done somewhere else. $300 would already be at the high end even if the go to full synthetic. They change the oil, check the torque specs fasteners, adjust the cables and chain, and do a once over on your bike. No way in hell is that $600 worth of service at the dealer.

Also.

Source: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance
In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.

·
Registered
2020 Speed Triple RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gitter, get it done somewhere else. $300 would already be at the high end even if the go to full synthetic. They change the oil, check the torque specs fasteners, adjust the cables and chain, and do a once over on your bike. No way in hell is that $600 worth of service at the dealer.

Also.

Source: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

Oh I'm well aware of what the first service entails. I bought everything to do it at home a couple days after I bought the bike. Doing the work myself isn't the issue, I would prefer it that way. The only reason I'm balking at it is because I don't want to lose the engine part of my warranty simply because I didn't pay the dealership their blood money to keep the bike in their system.

To be fair when I talked to the dealership where I purchased the bike, they told me out the door it would be roughly $150 if I brought in the oil and stuff I was going to use. That said, essentially I would just be paying them to keep my warranty current, which doesn't sit right with me.

I'll look into that link you posted, I haven't read up on warranty claims much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh I'm well aware of what the first service entails. I bought everything to do it at home a couple days after I bought the bike. Doing the work myself isn't the issue, I would prefer it that way. The only reason I'm balking at it is because I don't want to lose the engine part of my warranty simply because I didn't pay the dealership their blood money to keep the bike in their system.

To be fair when I talked to the dealership where I purchased the bike, they told me out the door it would be roughly $150 if I brought in the oil and stuff I was going to use. That said, essentially I would just be paying them to keep my warranty current, which doesn't sit right with me.

I'll look into that link you posted, I haven't read up on warranty claims much.
After doing a little more research it looks like a dealer does need to do first break in service. I guess the issue right now is the $600. Not sure where that comes from. $150 and you bring in the oil seems much more fair to me. Go get a few bottles of your favorite synthetic motorcycle oil and whatever else they need and let them do it. Then, after that, you can do all the maintenance yourself and they cannot refuse you warranty service.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts