Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as married couples sometime tend to do my wife and I are talking about our future, which brings up the subject of kids. I am all for kids and would like some but then my wife drops the bombshell.

Me: We should get a pool table for the game room (not a real game room without one)
Her: Well that is kind of expensive
Me: We can afford it
Her: Wel when we have kids and you sell your motorcycle we can buy the pool table with that money
Me :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( What!!!!

How do I argue with her, she likes the bike and knows I love it, she just knows the stats.....I told her I would raise my life insurance, but appearently I am more important than money DAMN!

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
ohhhh, el-jacko, nip it in the bud now!!! Hate to say it, but that whole ordeal is sort of factored in to me looking to sell mine. We've always had it rough ever since we had our 1st kid, but things are really getting bad here lately. My boy will be start'n school in a month and a half, and then I'm sure the money will really start going! I love my kids, and they're great to have around, I just need to figure out how to afford both!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose I have at least a good 2 years left(cross my fingers) with my beloved mistress, I may just have to prepare, but I will fight until the end. The biggest problem she has is that I commute on the bike, and that scares her the most, even though I have heard just as many bad things happen to weekend riders, but I don't tell her that. I am trying to work on the, "well If I don't commute" angle so I have 2 years to wear her down ;)

In all fairness she was cool enough to take me to the Triumph dealership the day I crashed my first bike and we bought the S3 the next day!

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
Oh boy....... I hate to say it but I got the same thing 3 years ago..... I basically told her that I need SOMETHING other than working on the house, work, and her.. I need some time for me... and the best thing for me is the time I spend just riding, pure focus that pushes everything else out and lets me relax.....

She told me to fuck off. :D

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Man, glad I've got a woman who rides her own bike. She asked me a long time ago what I would choose if I had to between a bike and a woman. I just said, lets not let things get to that point in the first place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your wife shouldn't put that kind of demand on you. It would be like asking her to give up the idea of ever having kids. You should be able to work though it if you start talking about it soon enough.

good luck.... you should never have to give up something unless you really want to, and not because someonesle wants you too

been there done that and regreted it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh she won't "make" me give it up she just thinks it is the responsible thing to do. As others have said they kept it made life interesting, I am planning on following that path. I was just shocked she thought I was going to stop riding, and I think she was shocked that I won't. Guess this is a long to be continued....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to say it but you may have already lost. She was just planting the seed before yours is and now that she has, it will sprout. The next time the subject comes up, tell her your bike is non-negotiable. She'll probably give you the "If you love me, then you'll do what I want" argument. If you give in, say goodbye to your balls forever.
I was hit last Thursday at 45mph when an idiot pulled a left in front of me. I got home, the wife gave me the look and I told her no way, end of discussion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wisdom from the oldest.

A coin toss: heads= kids, no bike ; tails= bike(s) , no kids

or she can choose no coin toss which = kid + bike Since you're such a thoughtful
guy, you are giving her the
option to gamble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sir, you are indeed wise. When you want someone to do something, let them think it was their own decision and they'll do it with enthusiasm!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is a issue i have had with the birth of each of my 3 kids. the first time i didnt give in, the second i didnt give in, and guess what my bike is still sitting right out side my door. it can be done. i have three kids my wife is a stay at home mom and i am the only bread winner for a house of 5 and my bike's still around. i will never give up my bike for someone else. mine is paid off so it helps but she still for 5 years now has been trying to get rid of it. dont do it you will be one of those guys that says i use to ride before i had kids. or your next bike will be in about 20 years when the kids are grow. this has almost cost me a divorce on more then one occasion stick to your guns. i told her once i had a bike before you and i will have a bike after your gone. she stopped nagging for awhile after that one LOL!

mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, thats how I got my S3. He bought it in 2004 droped it the second day he owned it and put a total of 1700 miles on it then got his wife pregnant and had to sell. Even better he had tire kickers come check it out so by the time I got there he wanted it gone. Well he didn't but she DID. I sent him some pics of the couple of add ons I put on and he said he almost cried. His loss my gain. Therefore my advice is that you two should try and work something out. Tell her it is a great stress releiver. It's great for your emotional health. Women love that stuff.

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
added note from the CB. Ya see el-jacko, you just have to get it thru your womans head how much riding truly does mean to you. Then after you've achieved that, you have to iron into her head how much your speed triple really means to ya as far as bikes go. My wife has never, ever asked me to sell my bike. Only reason it's crossing my mind now, is because I'm a decent fella, and I do have to take care of my family. I'm in the same boat as speedytriple(except I provide for 4, not 5, God help you speedy!!!), my wife stays at home with the kids. It's a decision we both made a little over 5 years ago when we had our 1st child. But she also made a decision 7 years ago when we got married that she knew she was marrying a motorcycle freak! Times have been rough, and my wife has been great for the most part. Sure she complains sometimes, she's a woman! But she knows I have to have it just to keep my sanity! I'm just think'n I might be able to do without for 6 months or so to get a good step ahead. As a matter of fact, my wife doesn't even know that I listed my bike for sale in the classifieds. But, hopefully, the CB will still figure something out here soon, and just hang on to ol' yeller! Best of luck to ya el-jacko, tell her if she thinks your nuts now, wait til that speedy is long gone and she'll have ya in the mental ward! ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wifes visit family, read books, talk to the girls, stay on the phone, plant flowers,
watch soap operas, and knit sweaters. Guys ride bikes. Sounds like another coin
flip resolution opportunity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tracker I love your advice!

However, last night I talk to the wife...

Me: You really want me to sell the bike when we have kdis...
Her: No, just to not commute every day...
Me: (Think YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS) Oh ok well we can talk about that

So unless the unfortunate CB situation hits no need to sell ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can live with some weekend riding and maybe commute only once a week instead of 4-5 days a week. Hell, I think next time I will start the tape recorder so if she can never change her mind!

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
there ya go el-jacko! So sounds like yo woman is just concerned for your safety? ??? Funny, my wife is just the opposite. She would rather me commute than go weekend riding. She knows how the CB gets out on the weekend rides with his buddies. But either way, sounds like you're good to go, and I'm sure you can still commute alot when the time comes, she'll be wanting you to save $ on gas then! :D I hope my situation never hits you or anyone else! It tears ya up just think'n about selling yo baby! :'(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well commuting in California is a risky affair if you split lane (which I do). There is just too much traffic not to split lane, so that is what freaks her out, and I can't promise I will stop that because well, I hate wasting time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts