424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've done in the way of fixes and preventative maintenance
-IACV hoses replaced
-Earth block/ground plug thing addressed
-Male and female fuel quick disconnects converted to aluminum and brass
-valve clearances checked/adjusted
-new battery

I'm considering doing this Triumph T309 T509 T595 955i Starter Starting Upgrade Bike Starts in 1 Second | eBay except making my own. Is this something worthwhile? I've heard it's kinder to the sprag. Also read it improves light output, helps battery life, improves charging system function, etc. Doesn't look like any negatives but I'm not 100% sure MORE torque is good for the sprag.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It won't hurt anything but your wallet. Power distribution does seem to be an issue with the older bikes. Hopefully you will never need this.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Ingredient Drinkware

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
That is a really good upgrade, but you're a fool to pay $85 for it. There's maybe $25 in parts there.

Also consider a Shorai Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, but before you do learn about its limitations and the correct way to use one.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Oh no. Make them yourself. It's easy. Get a blowtorch, the copper ends, the wire, some shrink tubing, and some flux and some solder. You can get most or all of it at Home Despot. Make them just a little bit longer than the factory ones (because they'll be stiffer), strip the wire insulation off just a tad longer than the copper ends. Cut your shrink tubing and slip it over the wire to the middle, but don't shrink it yet. Dip the wire in the flux (available in the plumbing supply) and push them into the copper ends. Crimp them slightly with some pliers, just enough to hold them. Gently heat up the copper end while applying the solder to where the wire meets the copper end. All of a sudden the solder will melt and you can start feeding it into the end until it's full. Let it cool and wash off any excess flux with plain water.

Now slip your shrink tubing over the end so that all that shows is the contact surface. Heat up the shrink tubing with the blow torch, holding it quite a way away so you don't scorch it. Simple as cake.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alright... I'll give her a go. Im guessing this will work ok for my purposes Butane Torch - Save on this Butane Micro Torch Sounds like if I do it right I don't need a soldering iron for this particular project. I watched a video on youtube. Kinda cool how if you flux it, the solder just runs right in. Thanks Crash, helpful as usual!

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I question the quality of the Harbor Freight one, but yeah that would work.

I've looked at them but haven't had the courage to try one yet. I have a never-fail old fashioned propane bottle torch. It serves my basic purposes.

And yeah, you don't need a soldering iron for this project at all. However, It wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheap one and practice some. Soldered wiring connections are far more reliable than the crimp on ones.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also question the quality. Best case, torch blows up in my face, I get a settlement, take the money and buy a brand new street triple R. Worst case, I make my bike better. I think I'm going to try this tonight. Hopefully butane doesn't set off the fire sprinkler.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I would say, worst case the thing explodes and blows all the fingers off your masturbation hand.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got one terminal done. I dunno if it's right but the solder joint feels strong. Just kept feeding in the solder (it took a metric shit ton of solder) until it was full.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
You need to post up pictures of your completed project for all to marvel at with wide eyes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.