Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
These modifications are all about personal taste. Saying that, I personally think the 02 S3 is a larger more meatier looking bike and so needs a pipe to reflect this.

To me it looks like the bike has a little dick...

Don't flame me for being honest. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
OUCH!

At least you know I'm not trying to compensate!

And keep weight in mind. I had a modified 02 S3 TOR CF can on my RS and this one is probably 1/4 the weight.

:squid:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee that was harsh.
I would like to see an undertail done Oldsquid.Mate I love the sound of your pipes,they are the best by far :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
oldsquid i really like your pipes on the 1050. So much so that have seriously considered changing them for my Staintunes.
I just think the older s3's need a bit more substantial looking pipe to fit in with the weightier looking back end of the bike. The 1050's have no arse so your pipes work well with the size that they are.

Again it's my personal take on it and I've been known to be way off track from the rest of the crowd. So please don't let my comments sway your direction in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
In retrospect of my first post I am now going to go away and beat myself up. :horse: I'm sure i could have worded that in a lot better than the way I did.

Sorry Oldsquid and jdonly1.

Feel free to have a hit while I'm laying into myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I would LOVE to see that can, or better yet two of 'em comin from under the seat of my 03. It looks like it would fit there naturally... IMO if anyone cares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
I like it! I would even like to see one a bit shorter and parallel to the bottom of the bike.... Slash directed to the outside. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
kuhlka said:
When are we going to see the triple underseat?
+1

To emphasize what Sparti said, the 02-04 Speed Triple is sorta like an Italian woman: wide thru the hips. ;) So three of those side-by-side under the tail (center pipe positioned @ 2" to the rear of the others) would be just the ticket. I'd gladly fab up my own license plate holder & signal mounts (and modify the existing undertail plastic if necessary) to accomodate it. Can only imagine what it might sound like...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,733 Posts
Sparti said:
Feel free to have a hit while I'm laying into myself.
Can I take a raincheck til next time I see you..... ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
legman said:
Sparti said:
Feel free to have a hit while I'm laying into myself.
Can I take a raincheck til next time I see you..... ;D
That wasn't an open offer :wtf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Not bad at all - looks very much like ours



I guess tastes vary but we have had lots of interest and lots of buyers for ours short can on the 02-04 S3 and the 02-06 Daytona so I think quite a lot of people like this style
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
UNDERTAIL, UNDERTAIL!!! I really think we need this model in a dual undertail configuration at an affordable price....NOW. :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
We have had an under seat pipe for this bike since the day it was launched

- but it depends what price you see as affordable - to work properly you need two cans, a new under tray, a new battery box, a new water tank, relay and fuse box mounts, number plate brackets, indicator mounts and of course some pipe work. All this needs to be in stainless steel and preferably powder coated as well
It needs to run perfectly with a TOR tune so everyone can get one, it needs to make more power than stock and hopefully a lot more (unlike say the Black Widow system that actually lost power)
You then need to make all this in to a kit that anyone can fit and does not involve cutting or welding etc so the bike can always go back to stock

We do this and have sold thousands of them over the years at £895. I think this is a very reasonable price but obviously to many it is not....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wolf said:
We have had an under seat pipe for this bike since the day it was launched

- but it depends what price you see as affordable - to work properly you need two cans, a new under tray, a new battery box, a new water tank, relay and fuse box mounts, number plate brackets, indicator mounts and of course some pipe work. All this needs to be in stainless steel and preferably powder coated as well
It needs to run perfectly with a TOR tune so everyone can get one, it needs to make more power than stock and hopefully a lot more (unlike say the Black Widow system that actually lost power)
You then need to make all this in to a kit that anyone can fit and does not involve cutting or welding etc so the bike can always go back to stock

We do this and have sold thousands of them over the years at £895. I think this is a very reasonable price but obviously to many it is not....
Hey Wolf,not a bad way to steel oldsquids thread mate,but lets be fair,This is about Chain Reaction pipes not WOLF :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
The bike in that pic looks like an '01.

The tupperware around the seat at least looks like the older version. (My '02 looks different)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Hey Sparti--no offense taken, and no beatings necessary--The S3 evokes that kind of emotion. That's why we all dig 'er eh?

And Wolf really did lay out the problem with the undertail well. With either generation S3 you have just got to create room if you want to use an undertail. If you want to get a feel for the challenge, try this. You've got to plan for about 5.5" of travel in the rear, and my cans (which are about the narrowest out there--just ask Sparti--he he) are 3.5" in diameter and 16" long. So you need 9" of clearance MINIMUM, at a point 16" back from where you want the cans to terminate, even if you have the muffs right up against the seat pan. There's just no room there unless you rebuild the pan.

Another challenge is the battery box. I tried to fit the bike in these pictures with my current high mount but with the rear wheel at full compression there wasn't even room for the 1.75" pipe between the tire and battery box.

I still lie awake at night thinking about it though. So who knows... And for anyone who's willing to do the rebuild on the obstuctions, I'll build a one-off any time. You'll probably have to come to Mammoth though. So bring your pole for before and your ridin' gear for after.

:squid:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top