Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using an Innovate Motorsports LM-1 to log and tune my bike. But it is big, bulky, and I cannot permanently mount it on the bike. I use an accelerometer to measure improvements once the tune is close.

www.wbo2.com has an inexpensive new unit (2j-1) and display (LX-1) for wide band logging using the Bosch 7200 sensor and a laptop. This replaces the stock sensor and works for both the ECU and the wideband logger.

I am considering mounting this unit on my bike and using the new application from Homertrix on t595.net to produce new maps while riding the bike - no need for a dyno ever again for tuning.
http://www.t595.net/messageboard/thread.asp?thread=52297

For AUS $408 (~USD $335), this is a good deal. And it would go very well with my J&S knock sensor/ignition controller.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have decided to purchase the 3A2 wideband logger from Tech Edge in AUS. This will allow me to log rpm, O2, MAP, and throttle position - and leave it on the bike. Combined with the knock sensor and ignition advance control from J&S Electronics, I should soon be able to produce much better mapping than ever.

We will see. ;D

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Post up purchase links, pics, and a how-to for those interested. I'd love to be able to just spend a day out on the back roads to Tune my bike.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Tech Edge site is www.wbo2.com

They produce two units I am interested in using:
The 2J-1 is their new low cost unit and with the sensor and no display retails for about USD $208 (at current exchange rates). It requires a USB to serial adapter and a laptop for logging wideband O2, MAP, throttle position, and RPM. And using the new utility from Homertrix (TuneBoy Europe distributor) on t595.net, allows you to alter mapping based on inputs just like the Power Commander/Dynojet Tuning Link software - making mapping very easy.

The 3A2 is a higher priced unit that has USB connection and internal logging for wideband O2, RPM, MAP, throttle position, speed, EGT, etc. It has 1Mb of internal memory that is good for "tens of minutes" of internal logging with a couple of touches of a button (no laptop needed). With cable, sensor, and no display, it currently retails for around USD $356. It looks like it will still work with Homertrix's software, but this has not been tested.

Both units have a narrow band simulator - so you can output a programmable narrow-band O2 signal to the ECU that is still very accurate. But depending on the O2 sensor used, you MAY have to weld a different mounting boss on your midpipe or header, 1 meter from the head. I was originally interested in the 3A2 unit, but I am now considering the cheaper 2J-1 unit - but this is still up in the air.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/ makes units that detects knock and retard timing in the offending cylinder(s). It allows the engine to run maximum ignition advance at all times, and then if knock is detected, it retards timing ONLY in the cylinder that is having issues. The units can be set for either 10 or 20 degrees of advance, and either 2 or 5 degree increments of retard as knock is detected. I had a special unit built for 3 cylinder engines, and purchased a display that shows the amount of retard that the unit is using when knock is detected. The display also shows air/fuel ratios as well. So it should work very well with the above O2 loggers.

This should give me the ability to tune extremely well on the street, and only use a dyno for measuring power and torque from the resulting tunes. No more spending HOURS on the dyno at $100 per hour for tuning time. By comparing the results of the logging to the time it takes to get the bike from one specific rpm to another (higher) rpm, I can actually measure progress. But my Race Technology ( http://www.race-technology.com/description_4_653.html ) AP-22 accelerometer is a very accurate tool that measures progress ON THE STREET, not just on the dyno - that may load the engine differently than I ride.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I just found a dyno for $75/hr for tuning - saves us 25% if you want to meet up in Asheville and play reindeer games in the mountains! ;D ;D ;)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While saving $25/hour, I will like spend more in gas and a hotel room. But I wouldn't mind seeing Asheville again, and riding the local roads there. If all goes well, the above equipment should reduce my dyno time considerably.

Right now I am waiting on TRIUMPH for header gaskets. Then I go back on the dyno to test and tune the CRM header.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts