Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'07 Speed Triple - 2,800 miles. Stock bike - no pipe or anything.
Bike was running fine, all of a sudden it was like someone flipped off my ignition switch while riding - bike stalls. So, I'm on the side of the road 5 or 10 minutes - battery cables are tight and everything I can see looks fine....It starts up again but the check engine light is on while it's running. It lets me ride a few mile at a time before stalling again - all the way home. When it runs it runs fine, but cuts out without any warning at all.
The dealer checked it out - came up with the above code - P1685 Main Relay Circuit Malfunction. But they say it's not in their service manual at all (can't trouble shoot it or what causes the code). They called up Triumph Tech line - it's not in THEIR book either... so now we are waiting to hear from the even higher-ups - I belive from Britain.
So they cleared the code and re-entered the "tune". Test rode it for a few miles and it didn't regenerate the code/problem but I am afraid to take the bike back until it's really FIXED - that is.. knowing WHY that code came up and WHAT, if anything is really broken.
I absolutely looooove my S3 but am wondering why I sold my reliable Honda right now.

Anoyone ever hear of this code and what might cause it???
thanks

G

·
It's a secret revenge code that the British installed on Speed Triples that are exported to the US. It's payback for the revolution and forming our own country that, ultimately, became WAY WAY better then theirs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well the mechanic said it is one of 3 things:
1. ECM
2. Main Relay Switch or
3. Wiring Harness
So they replaced the Main Relay and so far it's fine. Put about 500 miles on it since having it back from the shop. Hopefully that will do it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
584 Posts
dblhelx said:
It's a secret revenge code that the British installed on Speed Triples that are exported to the US. It's payback for the revolution and forming our own country that, ultimately, became WAY WAY better then theirs.
Glad to see the brain washing worked - amazed they found one to wash......

Mo Fo

:twofinger: :twofinger:

G

·
Glad it appears to have been repaired. Keep the faith, even a Honda can have a bad relay/switch. All these bikes are getting more complex as pollution standards are tightened. Cars are on Gen ? ECU technology and bikes were always pretty much exempt. Needing a computer to talk to your computer to discuss secret handshakes will be a "normal" part of our poor running issues more and more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, about 1200 miles later and she's still good. Turns out that P1685 code was in the Triumph Tiger service manual but not the Speedy manual. Weird.
So I am getting ready for a week long motorcycle trip on her in two weeks and now my radiator has a pinhole leak. WTF? I brought her in to the dealer and they're getting me a new radiator. Thank god for a two year warranty cause I'mjust over one year with her now. Love the bike - absolutely love it, but she is not without her little problems.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
+1 for the extended warranty.

I know a couple of people have lost the faith with their Speedies and I feel for them. But, I have yet to own any vehicle that hasn't had some quirk or problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not NotRazorback said:
+1 for the extended warranty.

I know a couple of people have lost the faith with their Speedies and I feel for them. But, I have yet to own any vehicle that hasn't had some quirk or problem.
Lost their faith with the newer models like 06' and '07 or is it moreso the older bikes? From what I hear from the mechanics at my dealer the newer ones don't come in that much for service compared to the older ones so MAYBE the kinks are slowly being worked out of 'em. Apparently the update to the Keihin ignition system was a good move for '07.

I guess I could always just trade her in every two years for a new one and then I'd always have a warranty. But I like my '07 more than I like the '08. Yeah I don't mind "quirks" so much as long as they don't leave me stranded on the side of the road or somethin.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hey, MRLEE, it sounds like you have one of the few good dealers in the US[ if that's where you are].

You might as well give them a plug if that is the case.

Good luck with the repairs and the trip.
Might as well break things while the warranty lasts.

AA

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought an 07 leftover and sure enough this morning the same thing happened to me. Only 125 miles on it. I stalled after about a half hour of commuting. Would not restart unless I had the throttle half open. No idle. After an hour the bike started again???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AA, thanks,
Yeah I've noticed that a lot of guys bitch about their dealers really sucking on here. I feel for them. I guess I've had it easy cause the guys at mine are really cool. We're all on a first name basis by now though cause I've been going there for years but this is the first brand new bike I've bought from them.
It's Freehold Honda/Triumph of Freehold New Jersey - USA. Yeah, good bunch of guys if you ask me. I go there sometimes just to say what's up and check out what's new.

------------

Jkondrat,
Was your check engine light on? Mine died while sitting in traffic too but I didn't try the half throttle thing. It just plain wouldn't do anything - no ignition current. Have it checked out and if their computer comes up with P1685 code you know it's a Main Relay Circuit Malfunction. Good luck dude. let me know what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still waiting to get an appointment at the dealer. Thanks for the reply. Still riding it just have to use half throttle to get it going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know this is an old thread but hoping you may be able to assist by confirming which is the main relay switch, Im having the same issue and I cant seem to fathom which one is correct. thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"Under the rider part of the seat, next to the battery.
Immediately forward of the battery, there is a row of 4 relays; the Engine Management System Relay is the one second from left in that row.

If you find it happens again in the interim, for temporary fix, swap it with the left one of the two by themselves forward of that row of 4;
That is the cooling fan relay and is same type (don't swap with the right one, also same type, as that is the Fuel Pump Relay)

If you find it was not properly seated then you can possibly save the cost of replacing.

You want item 11 - EFI relay OEM Triumph Part number T2502109
Order it from your local Triumph dealer or from MADSS.com (be much quicker than BikeBandit)"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts