Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I recreated the thread here. No more redirect to the bright side of the moon.

So, with all the respect due to the fistful of karnts that leghump their way through this site, I posted a thread on a terrible, lonely, and generally sad place on the internet; the dratted TRAT. It has the same title as this thread.
As mentioned above I have recreated the thread here, so you can just scroll down and we can have our own conversation about it.

Here's the skinny:
Ogio bags ($107 amazon)
Support brackets that come on and off in 2 minutes ($10 hardware store parts).

I detail both the bags and the mount. Either is useful information without the other.

Go Seahawks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was asked for more info on the saddlebags (though they said panniers, weirdos) I have mounted, so here you go. With lots of pics!

Skinny: Ogio bags ($107 amazon) with support brackets that come on and off in 2 minutes ($10 hardware store parts).

The bags are from Ogio, they're the only motorcycle saddlebags they make. I chose them because they're short enough to not hang past the rear of the bike (personal preference for a sport bike), expandable so they're not always huge, have rain covers and secondary pockets.

Pics below. Ask any questions you want.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The support brackets are made from two 2' sections of "single track upright" like this, but black:

They had a slight bend put in one end, holes drilled, and are attached to each other at the top by a span of galvanized all-thread with 6 locking nuts: 2 to securely pinch each the left and right rails, and 2 centered to grab the rear mount point. As pictured against my seriously miserably green garage wall:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mount to the bike is 3 points. For the front attachment points I tried using a bracket off the original exhaust hangers, passenger footpeg brackets, and finally the driver footpeg heelguard lower mounting bolts.

First I removed the heelguards. Notice that the right is attached with longer bolts than the left, at they go all the way through to the rear brake master cylinder. I got a third "long" bolt from my local hardware store for use on the left side. See pictures. Notice the new "long" bolt on the left.

The rear attachment point is a 2" galvanized hook bent to fit and through-bolted to the center brake light support point (all metal mounting this way, rather than to a plastic point).

This rear point is hardly noticeable when the brackets are unmounted unless you're looking for it, or you take pictures to reveal it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bracket mounts with only the removal and reinstallation of the lower would-be-heel-guard bolts as shown below.
First slide the rear all-thread into the hook, then bolt in the front. Done.

The whole thing is perfectly rideable with just the brackets on and without the bags. You can clearly see them, but they're not nearly as distracting as many very expensive bracket options I've seen.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mounting the bags is as hard as removing and reinstalling the seat.
First I pull out the tucked-into-the-fairings buckles, then drop on the bags, and put the seat back on.
Side note: Because the rear strap goes directly where the rear seat support rubber bungs are I removed the seat rubber bungs, using the straps as the rubber bumper.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All mounted up looks like this:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of the garage it looks like this:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hints for use in the real world:

In the 'rain cover' mini pocket in each bag i added 2 kitchen garbage bags with built-in draw tape. This way if I actually get caught in the rain I can pull over and tie down a waterproof garbage bag, then pull the included (snug but not actually water PROOF) rain cover over the top of it. Real rain proof!

The size of the bags won't allow a full letter (or A4) size notebinder to zip closed. It's plenty deep and plenty long, just angled such that the last few inches of the binder won't fit. One side will fit: vizor, thick socks, 2 bungee nets, chamois, insulated rain pants and shell jacket pullover, air pump & other assorted tools, gloves, balaclava, 2 cokes, hard sandwich case, etc, BEFORE it even needs expansion. It will not fit a helmet through the opening, though. The bag is big enough when expanded, but the opening isn't wide enough.

The mounting brackets get a slight bend at the end that mounts to the heelguard bolt so that they point in toward the tail without straining anything. For fitment you can use the upper-right long bolt in the lower-left position, and put the short bolt in the top-right. I wouldn't recommend leaving it this way though because it seriously lessens the strength of the attachment for the rear brake master cylinder. Buy an additional long bolt.

If you drill only the holes you need without trying all the other mounting options you won't end up with all the extra holes my brackets have. Yay for you.

Use galvanized rod and outdoor rattle paint (once you're 100% sure you don't need to spin on any more nuts) to prevent rust on the hook and all-thread if it's available.

For you gram-measuring types:
The whole assembly weighs less than you poop on an average Tuesday morning, so if you're worried about the weight, go poop.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Nice work, but wouldn't those bags mount up fine without the mounting brackets? I've used similar panniers :big smile: and had no issues with how they strapped above and underneath the seat. Where I ran into issues was with my dual high mount exhaust.

Next task for you, similar system for dual high mounts.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They definitely sag without support, swing in may be a better description. They don't look right, and I don't trust them to stay out of the way. So for about $10 they now hang straight and solid.

If if I were to tighten the top straps to pull the top edge well in from the bodywork edge I could probably get them level with a light load, but I'd lose plenty of space in doing so. Your bags must have had better inner wall support. These do cost half what most other soft bags do...

Somebody with dual high cans come see me. We'll brainstorm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why didn't you just buy the Bags Connection Blaze setup? Cheap enough and hard parts very easily removed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The $422 system?
Because $117.

The Blaze system looks silly without dual high cans and costs 3.5 times as much. No really, what am I missing?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
They definitely sag without support, swing in may be a better description. They don't look right, and I don't trust them to stay out of the way. So for about $10 they now hang straight and solid.

If if I were to tighten the top straps to pull the top edge well in from the bodywork edge I could probably get them level with a light load, but I'd lose plenty of space in doing so. Your bags must have had better inner wall support. These do cost half what most other soft bags do...

Somebody with dual high cans come see me. We'll brainstorm.
I bought the bags from Oxford. They were very high quality, but flammable.

Blue Sleeve Grey Glove Denim

White Vertebrate Finger Barefoot Grass

I also remember them bouncing around over some rough roads, so your set up should prevent that as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts