Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm fairly new here and I have been doing a lot of searching and I couldn't find much on this issue but I have some interesting thoughts to share.

So I had an oil leak from my air box and there just shouldn't be oil in an air box haha. So after taking every thing apart I see our air box is a pretty good design. We have a little baffle to catch the oil and send it back down while the vapor separates like its suppose too. thing is it has no top baffle and sprays oil all over the inside of the box I guess when there is a lot of vacuum at open throttle.

also there is another hose on the bottom that runs to the ground like a drain with oil residue on the bottom but in the box were it would drain from is totally clean. Doesn't make much sense.....

So here is the idea! Has any one thought of just pulling it off the air box and running a line to the ground so it can vent with out oil being sucked into the intake? The other benefit of not having oil cook on every thing in there is that when its no longer under vacuum it will probably not discharge nearly as much!!! Saving oil and keeping things clean.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I think you're worrying about nothing.

If you're going to spend any time on this nonsense, you should route your Secondary Air Injection (SAI) to your crakcase breather. This will cause a slight vacuum in the crankcase and produce a slight increase in horsepower as well as cleaning up your airbox. Simple to do, and should only cost a few bucks. Drag racers and other racers do it all the time with their big V-8's.

However, if your bike still has a catalytic converter it will probably plug it up. But oh yeah. Removing the Catastrophic Converter will gain you some horsepower too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I wanna remove the cat at some point but im worried about the light cause im not tuned yet. do the simulators British customs sell for the o2 work?

More on topic. What do you mean route the crank case vent to the sai? like pull both hoses off the air box and connect them together?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
You can disable the O2 sensor with the Free program TuneECU (do a search) and a $20 cable.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
the best way to do it would be to block off the reed valve with block off plates. take off all your sai hoses and valves. plug your sai nipple on the airbox.

if you are worried about the crankcase you don't want to route it to the ground because a piston going up has just as much vacuum in the crankcase as a piston going down. you don't want to chance dirt getting in the crankcase breather line. you can however route it up near the airbox and put a pod filter on it if you are that worried about it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pcv plays a very important part in oil health and therefore engine health. It is not advisable to alter the factory design.

As the oil heats up it boils off water, fuel and other contaminants. The pcv then pulls those vapors into the combustion chamber and burns them off. Small amounts of water in the oil, less than the amount you would be able to see in oil, can cut your engine life in half. If you put breathers in place of the pcv system you will loose the drying ability and shorten engine life. Or you could modify the pcv and just change your oil very frequently.

They make catch cans for car engines, you may be able to get one of the manufactures to design a small motorcycle version. A catch can condenses the vapors before entering the combustion chamber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts