Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody found a good way to either keep water out or get it to evaporate quickly to prevent the plug bases from rusting?

I've tried countless ways to seal the coils in the holes, but water still gets in from rain or washing and then won't evaporate out. I finally am trying the pull all the seals off and let the water flow in and have a way to evaporate out method. I sprayed a bunch of chain wax down the holes after installing the new plugs to coat the plug bases.

What are you guys doing?

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I haven't tried it but the mechanic at my dealership recommended this fix (and unlike some places I really trust my dealership.)

Take the little plastic tube that comes on a can of WD40 and slip it down around the edge of each plug boot. It seems the problem is the boot's let water in, but don't allow water vapor out. It makes sense in a counter-intuitive way.

I was going to take it one step further and run the vent lines up to the airbox, where the slight vacuum would help draw the vapor away.

But like I said, never got around to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr Gallup: Thanks for the thread, but I remember reading that back when it started and already tried that solution.

Everybody: From the thread mentioned, I found that the straws would get soft from the engine heat and collapse under the pressure of the cail gasket and plug well. WD40 does not work, you need something that lasts longer and that creates a stronger coating.

APTech77: I'm going to try that ACF50. It makes some pretty good claims.

Smartasses: :twofinger: Cause' that's how I roll!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
We also use CorrosionX in aviation but, ACF50 is made to be used on electrical contacts and such applications. I'm not sure about the CorrosionX. ACF50 is THE SHIT!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think I have a dose of plug hole moisture :jerkoff:

My bike got drenches. wouldn't start but miraculously next (today) she's fine.

Im gunna watch and learn and think of a solution. If its different I'll let you all have a laugh.

MH

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I changed the plugs today and they where corroded. Also the plugs where pretty dark, so it's must be running rich or previous owner has been running low revs all the time. another pointer to this direction is the fact that the rev light is adjusted to 5000rpm or so?

I put some oil to the plug threads, because that is what I always do.

HINT: do not take the plugs off if you haven't checked what is there in the plug hole. There was loose shit around the plug and on some bikes there can be stones, they are not nice inside your engine. Use compressed air to blow any dirt out first, then take the plugs and put new ones in.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Moisture wasn't a problem for my bike. When I did my 12000 mile, the plugs looked great, inside and out. Coils seem to seal really well in the plug ports. My bike sleeps inside, anyway, except for the 3 weeks it spent at the dealer - got caught in the afternoon monsoon nearly day, but no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since this thread came back up, I'll post my solution.

What I did was install the new plugs with anti-sieze on the threads. I then stuck a drinking straw over the tip of the plug fogged the hole and pluck with Corrosion X. Finally, I took the rubber seals off the coils all together and put the coils back on.

Water gets down in the plug hole now when i wash it, but is able to completely evaporate out. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
There is a new cap that goes over the ignition coils. I haven't tried them yet but it's promising.

P/N T1291511 Seal, Ignition Coil

They are pretty new so I doubt there is conclusive evidence of their efficacy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.