Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

My name is Don, I live in the Seattle area. Used to ride with some friends from Calgary down in the SF Bay Area but it's been over 10 years since I had a bike. A friend did let me practice a bit on his FJR1300 last weekend and I'm (re)taking the MSF intro class in a couple weeks.

Since I started thinking bikes again, I've been interested in the Triumph Tiger, some BMWs. Top 2 contenders now are the Yamaha FZ1 and the Triumph Speed Triple. I'm seriously considering both now, hope to test ride (and acquire one) soon.

Best regards, Don

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
believe me, after the test ride, it will be clear which one to buy. :smitty: ;D I've ridden a 03 FZ1, and while it is a great bike, it's no speedy. And the new FZ1's lack the low end grunt that the older one's had, that still didn't compare to speedy. :horse: ;D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Definitely do the test ride on everything that interests you.

Pick what matches your riding style best... or get a couple of bikes. ;)

I think you will like the Speed Triple, just watch for the "stupid grin".

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Absolutely DO NOT TEST RIDE A SPEED TRIPLE - unless you want to buy one.

Here's how it works:

You: I like to test ride the speed triple
Dealer: OK

-------10 to 60 minutes later--------

You: I'll take it! :smitty:
Dealer: Cash or check! ;D

The good news is the smile only gets bigger every time ya ride her!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Dfib said:

Here's how it works:

And then you learn about modifications. ;)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Naked bikes are a great compromise between the cruiser and the supersport. Many 'nakeds' are based on recent supersports, with the engine tuned for more low-end torque, and the fairings removed.

The FZ-1 is a good, competent bike, as is the Honda 919 and Suzuki 1250 Bandit. For me, I prefered the styling of the Ducati Monster, MV Agusta Brutale, BMW R1200R and the Speed Triple. When it came to test rides, the Triumph sold me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BillT said:
Naked bikes are a great compromise between the cruiser and the supersport. Many 'nakeds' are based on recent supersports, with the engine tuned for more low-end torque, and the fairings removed.

The FZ-1 is a good, competent bike, as is the Honda 919 and Suzuki 1250 Bandit. For me, I prefered the styling of the Ducati Monster, MV Agusta Brutale, BMW R1200R and the Speed Triple. When it came to test rides, the Triumph sold me.
Same here. I tried one yesterday (expecting it to be the first road`test of many) and ended up buying it. Just starting breakin, low RPMs and she's already mad fun!

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Dfib said:

Here's how it works:

I believe you were warned!

Glad you ignored the warning!

We want pics BTW! :picsstfu:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts