1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Contact GPR and ask them. Give them the dimensions needed, and ask about a group buy. They might have something already works, or be willing to fabricate or modify something for a new market.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/

Stabilizers are more about valving than anything else - as long as the unit and mounts are strong enough.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Also recall that there are 2 mindsets on steering stabilizers on Speed Triples. Lot's of folks (including me) figure that since they've never had a tank slapper or instability on this bike that a steering stabilizer is unnecessary. Other people claim that this bike is in desperate need of a steering stabilizer because the front end always feels so light. (I met one guy who wouldn't ride a S3 unless it was equipped with a stabilizer because it was "so unstable." BS IMHO.)

Unless you need a stabilizer it's really just bling money you're spending.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try and get intouch with them Dev. and Crash, I've a little wiggle in the steering everynow and then, but I think's it's a suspension problem that I'm trying to get dialed in. However, an ounce of prevention....

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just came home from a nice day of riding and I was flying up a notoriously windy stretch of freeway at an indicated 110-120mph and the road was drying after a rain. 1 o'clock in the morning so cages were few and far between. My favorite time to ride. Some parts were wet and some were dry. When the wind would hit me I could feel the front wanting to skip sideways alittle. The back felt fine though. I don't think a steering damper would help. The wheel base is just short and the bike gets the jitters at high speed in the wind. Makes you feel alive!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
SKINNY said:
I just came home from a nice day of riding and I was flying up a notoriously windy stretch of freeway at an indicated 110-120mph and the road was drying after a rain. 1 o'clock in the morning so cages were few and far between. My favorite time to ride. Some parts were wet and some were dry. When the wind would hit me I could feel the front wanting to skip sideways alittle. The back felt fine though. I don't think a steering damper would help. The wheel base is just short and the bike gets the jitters at high speed in the wind. Makes you feel alive!
Try the Bridge of the Gods in the Columbia River Gorge. A steel grated bridge in one of the most consistently windy places on the planet. (Why do you think the windsurfers come here from all over the world?) Always a stiff cross wind. Creepy feeling. I hate steel grated bridges in the calm air!

·
Registered
261 Posts
+1 to hatin' the steel grated bridges. I would not go across one of them at high speed. Just keep your focus on something way far ahead of you and let the bike hula. Still makes you feel alive!

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
The times I wish I had a damper is when I'm going around a corner at 70ish+ and I'm going over some bumps. The entire bike goes into a nice controlled wobble, but I'd like to eliminate some of that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kuhlka,

Exactly. In the bumpy corners is where I would like to have a stabilzer. When I ride the r1150rt-p with its tele lever front end, the thing is like on rails even in the bumps. The Speedy is a different story with the light weight on no steering damper. IMHO my Speedy's suspension is not set up correctly. I think the front end is good but the rear is like a brick. I read the suspension set up posts and watched the vids and tuned the front, I just have to soften up the rear preload and see how it feels.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not to Hijack, but Bridge of the Gods is cool, what's the name of the one that goes from Steel Bridge to floating Bridge by the mouth of the gorge. You can feel it rocking when the wind picks up the waves on the water.

By the way J-Pip is OCD when it comes to his motorcycle, It will never be perfect.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Spanky said:
Not to Hijack, but Bridge of the Gods is cool, what's the name of the one that goes from Steel Bridge to floating Bridge by the mouth of the gorge. You can feel it rocking when the wind picks up the waves on the water.
Ah, I'm not sure which one you are referring to. The Astoria/Megler bridge is close to the mouth of the Columbia, but not the Gorge. It's a long bridge that changes from floating to cantilever steel truss but it doesn't have any steel grating. It's a scary ride in the wind! Tall too, at 196 feet at high tide.

The Lewis and Clark Bridge in Longview is also tall, and I think it's steel grated (or used to be) but not floating.

I think you may be remembering the Hood River Bridge, which IS steel grated but I don't think it's floating. It's got a rough cross wind though!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All this talk about Oregon is making me miss it, I may come up for a visit Crash.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
J-Pip said:
All this talk about Oregon is making me miss it, I may come up for a visit Crash.
Do it!

I want to ride the south Oregon coast or the North Cascade Highway sometime this summer. It's always a thought.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was thinking of the bridge outside of Astoria, that thing is crazy. I grew up in North Eastern Oregon in Legrande and haven't been to the coast in probably 8 years. I would love to ride the coast during the one dry week a year.

J-Pip let's road trip!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
If you guys are serious, I have been looking for a reason to road trip(p). I have family in OR, and would love to ride the Gorge and down the coast.

Let me know when you plan this.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Spanky said:
By the way J-Pip is OCD when it comes to his motorcycle, It will never be perfect.
For reasons unrelated to J-Pip's my bike will never be perfect. :horse: It's been down, crashed, crunched and munched. Pickled and rained on, raced and hosed. Kicked and scraped, throttled and raped.

I love it anyway.

Maybe a little more painting tonight!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Devious, you will be SO welcome.

June 16 -23 is the only week I have off school until September. Although, September might be better. My favorite time to ride!

What's other people's schedule like?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spanky said:
I was thinking of the bridge outside of Astoria, that thing is crazy. I grew up in North Eastern Oregon in Legrande and haven't been to the coast in probably 8 years. I would love to ride the coast during the one dry week a year.

J-Pip let's road trip!
Can you get a Kitchen Pass?

·
Registered
413 Posts
SO no update on this?
The last Fast Bikes issue I read they were showing one for under the bars. Today I see the same one they spoke of on GPR's website but for dirtbikes...wander if this would work?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts