Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a year of sitting in my garage I finally got my home projects manageable to start rebuilding my 03 S3. The 955 had a head-gasket seepage with a bad leakdown on one of the cylinders. Can't remember which, it's was a while ago. Today I was able to pull the head when I noticed scoring on the cylinder walls. The motor only had 18k on the ODO.

Can the 955 be bored over and re honed? Would getting the short block machine work even be worth the money?

http://i.imgur.com/SwS7DKt.jpg

Tableware Light Liquid Fluid Automotive tire

http://i.imgur.com/DChseL2.jpg

Fluid Amber Eyewear Tints and shades Gas

http://i.imgur.com/ZFWQINr.jpg

Liquid Water Automotive tire Tread Fluid

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Based on parts prices here in Australia....I reckon it would be cheaper to look for a whole motor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking online the 1050 seems to be the same price if maybe a couple hundred more. Asside from the ECU, what differences do I need to look out for if I I need to part out what I have?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
The difference between the 955 and the 1050 is all in the stroke, and therefore crank. The liners in this engine are wet liners, and you can replace them but you can't bore them. Oversized pistons are not available for this reason. 955 Speed Triples, along with Tigers and Sprints have cast steel cylinder liners. Daytonas have nikasil plated aluminum liners, but from what I understand they are not interchangeable with Speed Triple liners. The part number for your liner is PFKL1198151, although I don't know if you can buy them singly. You may only be able to buy a set.

I don't know if the 1050 liners are interchangeable, but they do have a different part number.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talking to a dealer and basically a long block repair would be around $700. Used engines go for about that same to more on fleabay, so this would be a warrantied item. Plus they'll check the head over w/ valve job if needed.

For those interested, the liner isn't a replaceable item on the year, looked up by VIN. However the entire cylinder "jug" is replaceable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference between the 955 and the 1050 is all in the stroke, and therefore crank. The liners in this engine are wet liners, and you can replace them but you can't bore them. Oversized pistons are not available for this reason. 955 Speed Triples, along with Tigers and Sprints have cast steel cylinder liners. Daytonas have nikasil plated aluminum liners, but from what I understand they are not interchangeable with Speed Triple liners. The part number for your liner is PFKL1198151, although I don't know if you can buy them singly. You may only be able to buy a set.

I don't know if the 1050 liners are interchangeable, but they do have a different part number.
Basically the same info I got from the dealer. I wouldn't have the experience or equipment to replace them anyway, think $700 sounds a bit pricey or right on the money? I'll forego the 1050 only because the cost comparison isn't working out to my advantage yet.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Sounds a little bit expensive to me, but then again I don't have anything to compare it to. World of Triumph is quoting £117 for what I'm assuming is one liner. To me this makes $700 sound pretty outrageous.

edit: Oh, I see that quote was including labor to refresh the whole top end. That doesn't sound unreasonable. However, for that price you'd be money ahead to buy a used engine.

It's also a little deceptive. You don't replace a "jug" (which isn't a technical term at all) but your replace what is called a "wet liner." This is a common thing, used by many or most industrial engines. In these cases you don't bore the cylinder (it's too thin) you just replace it. The cylinder itself is the "liner." Replacement involves pressing out the old liner, then pressing in the new one. You could have any outside machine shop do that bit for you, then do the rest yourself.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
There's actually a very simple tool for extracting and pressing in the cylinder liners. If you're handy at all you could make one with some flat bar, a couple nuts, and a stick of allthread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds a little bit expensive to me, but then again I don't have anything to compare it to. World of Triumph is quoting £117 for what I'm assuming is one liner. To me this makes $700 sound pretty outrageous.

edit: Oh, I see that quote was including labor to refresh the whole top end. That doesn't sound unreasonable. However, for that price you'd be money ahead to buy a used engine.......

That would explain why my research for "Jug" didn't return any results. Pulling the liners doesn't look to be that difficult, I just don't have the tools, which cost more. $147.99 a liner is the US price. Part#TT1160685, and rings TT1120865 at $82.79. (Per bikebandit pricing)

$692.34 in parts to replace all 3. Parts alone are close enough to make the difference. I was quoted 2 hours of labor at $77 for the job. Realistic price is sitting at $846.34 ~ish.

Finding an engine in perfect condition + shipping at that price would be my justification.

(throwing all this out there for someone else who might have similar issue)

There's actually a very simple tool for extracting and pressing in the cylinder liners. If you're handy at all you could make one with some flat bar, a couple nuts, and a stick of allthread.
I might actually have this lying around the garage.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha, Thanks I have one of these.

Looks like I can buy a crankcase for under $200 with good liners. Some even at $100. A re-hone should be fairly inexpensive and should offset my cost significantly.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
There you go then.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Liners are a set due to file fit flats where the ODs touch. The liners slide out rather easily with some wiggling. Make sure you vacuum all of the coolant out before you remove or it'll end up down in the bottom end.

How bad is the scoring? Can you catch a fingernail on it? Or just feel a little drag over it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Liners are a set due to file fit flats where the ODs touch. The liners slide out rather easily with some wiggling. Make sure you vacuum all of the coolant out before you remove or it'll end up down in the bottom end.

How bad is the scoring? Can you catch a fingernail on it? Or just feel a little drag over it?
Scoring is bad enough to feel without my fingernail. I can feel the abrasions with my fingertip, and there's a few scores that catch with my fingernail. A little too deep for a hone, at least on 2 of the 3 cylinders.

Since the liners are about $150 a piece, I'm going to grab a used block off E-bay for $100 with good liners. Should be able to have those re-honed and installed into my good block or just transfer over to whatever i buy. New rings if my pistons are in good shape and hopefully no head work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts