Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

RANT - Newbies

3K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  BUCKET 
#1 ·
I know we were all newbies once but I wish they would take the time to search thru threads before they ask whats the best exhaust or mirrors to get and what oil to use, etc. The "other" site repeats the same basic f'n questions over and over. Am I overreacting?

#5 ·
Re: Newbie RANT

part of the reason I started this site.....

2 years ago I asked a question about my fuel light staying on....

i never got a "reasonable" reply, and my thread got pushed off the front page in less than 8 hours.

If you cant get answers to honest questions then what good is the resource? top it off with a no fun policy?

#6 ·

Catahoulabulldog said:

i never got a "reasonable" reply, and my thread got pushed off the front page in less than 8 hours.

If you cant get answers to honest questions then what good is the resource? top it off with a no fun policy?

+1, I don't even remember my password on the other site. I go there once in a while to search for info, but I don't ever sign in anymore. I agree with KarmaPunk in that when new to a forum like this, you should search first, but I look at it like getting to know the new guy. If they don't post, we can't haze them very well now can we?

#7 ·

Catahoulabulldog said:

can't blame me Cata, I wasn't on Trat quite 2 years ago. :violent1: Now a year and a half ago... I would have been one of the "unreasonable" replies and the reason yer thread got pushed off the front page. ;D

#8 ·

As much as I sometimes want to yell "RTFM" or "do a F'n search", the forum here is not nearly as bad as the others I frequent. This is because the members who post here are a better breed.

Some guys never had someone show them which end of a screwdriver is the working end, but they want to learn. It is the responsibility, of those of us who can, to help. If we don't help and educate, it will be our own fault skwidz will rule the forums and streets.

Let's try to make this a no :squid: zone, and help when we can.

If you see a :squid: on a Triumph, slap him profusely about the bandana and neck with great enthusiasm.

#9 ·

cheapbastard said:
Catahoulabulldog said:

can't blame me Cata, I wasn't on Trat quite 2 years ago. :violent1: Now a year and a half ago... I would have been one of the "unreasonable" replies and the reason yer thread got pushed off the front page. ;D
Cata - Can you make it so CB's post don't register as new? That way all the useful posts will stay higher up on the listings. :twofinger:

#11 ·

Devious2xs said:
As much as I sometimes want to yell "RTFM" or "do a F'n search", the forum here is not nearly as bad as the others I frequent. This is because the members who post here are a better breed.

Some guys never had someone show them which end of a screwdriver is the working end, but they want to learn. It is the responsibility, of those of us who can, to help. If we don't help and educate, it will be our own fault skwidz will rule the forums and streets.

If you see a :squid: on a Triumph, slap him profusely about the bandana and neck with great enthusiasm.
+1000

For anyone who has read the "rogue warrior" series, Commonly called "Ev Barret's first law of the sea. It is your responsibility to pass along all the knowledge you can.

We were all asking questions once, and hell most of us still are... Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the great Devious had to learn somehow. Although maybe in a past life.

#14 ·

This is a pet peeve of mine. No, not the reposts or the repeated questions. I get irritated by the complaints about reposts and the gruff response of "do a search". Last time I checked, this was a FORUM, where folks come and DISCUSS things. If all I wanted to do was look things up, I'll go to a library.

So, ask away.

#17 ·

Hey Limey, I was in a hurry to go get the fucking socket ok? I couldn't even find it and ended up buying a set with two big as fuck breaker bars, and 6 sockets ranging from 43 to 51 mm. SO if ya'll need some tools to take downa fucking parking lot light pole let me know I got em :twofinger:

G
#18 ·

Hey,

Just thought I should mention we need to remember that some people aren't just new to this message board but all message boards. I know I've made my fair share of stupid mistakes....

Phil

#19 ·

AaUuuuGaa! said:
This is a pet peeve of mine. No, not the reposts or the repeated questions. I get irritated by the complaints about reposts and the gruff response of "do a search". Last time I checked, this was a FORUM, where folks come and DISCUSS things. If all I wanted to do was look things up, I'll go to a library.

So, ask away.
It is a pet peeve of mine when people complain about the people who complain about reposts.

I have no problem when people ask about technical stuff, some of the smartest, brightest people have given me great answers on working on my bike. Without them I'd be lost. Its the cosmetic questions about oil and exhaust that make me want to puke.

#20 ·

:D Hahaha, like I said, I feel that it's a place where we can all ask questions, new or old. Sometimes there might be a new perspective on oil or bar-end mirrors that wasn't covered in the dozens of like thread before. Plus there's always new innovations that might make it worth rehashing old topics.

#21 ·

Devious2xs said:
....It is the responsibility, of those of us who can, to help. If we don't help and educate, it will be our own fault skwidz will rule the forums and streets.

Otherwise, we create an.....

#22 ·

J-Pip said:
Hey Limey, I was in a hurry to go get the fucking socket ok? I couldn't even find it and ended up buying a set with two big as fuck breaker bars, and 6 sockets ranging from 43 to 51 mm. SO if ya'll need some tools to take downa fucking parking lot light pole let me know I got em :twofinger:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:Your killin me!

G
#25 ·

Some of the search results are rather old threads. I like to see a fresh perspective myself and feel that theres no such thing as a dumb question if someone is genuinely trying to learn something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.