Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear caliper has been having issues and I pulled it apart, and the piston cups are pitted. I'm attempting to clean them up but I'm not sure if the bores are buggered up, so I'm thinking about swapping out for another caliper. My question is this: Are there any other bikes that have the same Nissin 2 cup caliper, or a caliper that will swap over (without changing the mounts etc.)??

I've spent about 4 hours researching online with no success, so I'm hoping someone here might know...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Where are they pitted? The sealing outer wall, the piston face 8nside the caliper or the hollow that presses against the pad?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're crappy closer to where they contact the pad, I cleaned them up a bit with some parts washer solvent and a scotchbrite pad, here's a pic of the one cup before cleaning....
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_6509.JPG

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the hollow against the pad is fine, and the flat/dished piston face is fine; it's the outer wall of the piston (and possibly some inside the bore of the caliper) that is chewed up. It's my fault for using pliers to remove the pistons a year ago when they wouldn't come out. (I was hungry, tired, and fed up with them at 3:00 AM, and now I'm paying the price). I assume that Nissin must've put these same calipers on bikes other than the Triumph, I just can't figure out which bikes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the local cycle salvage spot, they got nuthin. I assumed there would be some around but I assumed wrong. The guy at the salvage place said that if I could find out what other bikes that caliper might be on, he can look it up that way. (They know what bikes they've got, but not necessarily which part numbers interchange or cross with each other). I looked on the Nissin website but that went nowhere fast. I figure that maybe someone on here knows what other bikes share the same rear caliper.

Right now I'm going to try to clean the cups up as best I can, and hopefully get replacement cups made by a local machinist I know, but if the bores are chewed up it might be a moot point.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
My favorite way to get those out when they are a tad sticky is to have a buddy hold the caliper off the bike and hold the worn brake pads in place and just push the brake lever until they yelp at a pinched finger.
Yea those are rough, what condition were the seals and dust boots? Shredded?

·
Super Moderator
5,983 Posts
A tip I picked up on the goldwing forum is to crack open the bleeder and put a grease gun on it. You have to swap the banjo bolt for a regular one but it works.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The seals looked okay, the boots appeared to be deteriorated a bit. I don't remember what they looked like originally, so it's hard to say for sure. I cleaned up the pistons with more scoth-brite, mechanics cloth, and elbow grease, pressed them back in (somewhat easier) and played with them for a bit. I then popped them back out again and did some more scrubbing. They're moving easier than before but I had to use a C-clamp to get them in, not sure if that's worth worrying about. I felt around the bore with my finger but I don't know if one can feel scoring or pitting that way.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
The Triumph part number for that rear caliper is..

T2020239

It is the same rear caliper used on ALL the modern Bonnies to include Thruxton, ALL years of Daytona 955i, and ALL years of Speed Triple, to include the carb'd models up to the current R model.

New from the dealer it's $555, online I see them going for under $50...

May the force be with you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought maybe Honda, Yamaha, or someone else might have used the same caliper on one of their bikes. The local cycle salvage yard here doesn't have any Triumphs but they've got a boatload of everything else. I found the same one that Chewie linked to on ebay, I might just have to go that route but I'd prefer to get something that doesn't involve shipping, waiting, etc. The other thing I was hoping is that a more popular (and newer) bike might share the same caliper, so I could find a wrecked GXSR with a fresh caliper at the junk yard. Wishful thinking....

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
not wishful at all. I don't know what the nissin PN is, but I can just about guarantee something else like a Ninja or GSXR uses that same caliper. Just carry it down to the breakers and compare them in hand

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if they'll let me wander around, the place is pretty crammed and an insurance adjuster's nightmare. I even called Nissin and they couldn't really tell me anything, I've actually stooped to doing random google image searches and hoping I see something that looks close, still no luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's not the right caliper, I even looked on Brembo's website and they don't even show a rpelacement caliper for the S3. I'm taking the caliper and pistons to a machinist and see if he can make another set of pistons out of aluminum, and maybe check the bore and/or clean it up. Also it looks like the seals may be shot, and that's more money to shell out that I really don't have.... which is why I'm desperate to find a bike that shares the same caliper. All I want to do is ride, but it looks like that's never going to happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts