Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list of which bikes would have the good mosfet rec/reg to swap out with the speedy? The part number FH012AA seems to come up a lot, but I don't know if anyone's already done a cross reference of which bikes it comes standard on.
I know it's probably on here somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm heading to the cycle salvage yard to look, I've got a stator on the way. I was hoping to spend Memorial weekend riding instead of looking for parts, but I guess it beats staring at paint dry.
If there is a list somewhere please feel free to lost a link, I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure I understand. It seems like everyone upgrades to the MOSFET reg/rec, what's the difference? Also, does anyone know of a place to find a listing of which bikes come with that reg/rec?

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
I'll start the list of bikes that don't come with it, eventually this will play a key part in helping you narrow it down.

1. 2008 S3

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Did I piss everyone off or something?
No, this is just us being helpful. .

Look at the thread in Doug's post, particularly the later parts where there is discussion about the compufire series R/R

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
It helps to do your own research first and have questions instead of asking "can someone do the work for me????"

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
For some clarity. It was thought that the FH012AA or similar style RR's would fix the stator burnout issues that have plagued some S3's but through further study and expense by a number of members on here have found the better style of RR is the Compu Fire units. My suggestion is take the advice of Avi and use the link given. He and others who have commented above have gone through enough stators to be knowledgeable on the subject.

All of this info is on the site, just do a search for "compu fire" and all other related keywords.

If you have question after digesting all the info, feel free to ask. Oh, the other thing is not to be too sensitive with any comments posted on here, its all tongue in cheek

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it's worth I did spend about 4 or 5 days reading different threads on the subject, but after a while it starts to blur together and gets muddy (but that's probably more to do with my brain than anything else). I reached a point where it seemed like the FH012AA was the one to go with, but I couldn't find a listing of which bikes one might scavenge for that R/R. I read quite a few threads on the Rat forum too, but it's so much to digest.

I'll do some more reading but I do appreciate the help, and I did attempt to research on my own before I asked for what it's worth.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I'll do some more reading but I do appreciate the help, and I did attempt to research on my own before I asked for what it's worth.
make sure you read the thread that Doug referred you to above in post#8. Forget the Mosfet RR.... go for the Compufire Series RR. Its a no brainer. Read posts #105 to #108 in that thread, and definitely read the thread in the Aprilia forum that I linked. All you need to know is close at hand.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more I read the more confusing it gets; I see the compufire for the Harley but I'm guessing that it's the 55402 that fits the Triumph? I read elsewhere that the series R/R from Roadstercycle absorbs a lot of heat so needs to be mounted in a high airflow location, would this be the same for the Compufire? (assuming that any series type R/R operates the same way) I guess my question is, have you mounted the Compufire in a different location and/or noticed any overheating issues?

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
BLUF: MOSFET is a "better functioning" version of OEM R/R. CompuFire works differently, and eliminates the problem v/s controlling.

think MOSFET as a bigger radiator, CompuFire as retuning to run cooler. If you have an '08 and later, IMO the MOSFET is fine because you have the added oil flow and capacity of the update gallies/cover, if you have an '07 and earlier, I would go with a CompuFire..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine is an '07, this is the first issue I've had aside from the classic "muddy coolant", so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the last issue I have for a while. I'm going to order the CompuFire tomorrow first thing, now I just need to figure out which stator to get.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a pic of the stator by the way. I was surprised at how cooked it actually looked, didn't think it would be that toasted. I was going to go with Rick's but if there's a company that makes a better wound/beefier stator please feel free to plug them. Auto part Jewellery Household hardware Circle Machine

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
What Doug said,get your stock Triumph stator rewound if possible.
I went through 4 "NAME " brand stators,then i got my stock one rewound,no problems as yet.
You will be amazed at the difference in the windings compared to a off the shelf brand.
I'm still running the MOSFET R/R but will switch to the Compufire R/R one day,when i get off my chunky hairy arse and buy one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts