Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
+ 3 On the rewind. I had mine done at the same place did Bucket's. Cost more than a new aftermarket (read Chinese) stator, but is a much better job. Guy who did the rewind told me that the stock stator is fairly poor, but the cheap chinese ones are total crap. he said they wont even rewind the cheap ones.

Spend the bucks getting a good rewind, and a Compufire R/R and you'll never have to worry about the stator again. BTW, wire the R/R direct to the battery.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Compufire is that much better than Moffset??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I didn't think that getting one rewound was even an option. I'm going to look into finding a local shop that might be able/willing to rewind mine, I'd rather do it locally than ship it off and wonder when it's going to come back.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok, this got a little more confusing: I just tested the OEM R/R and it appears that it checks out ok (I think). I put the multimeter on the diode setting and touching the positive multimeter lead on the black (negative) wire from the R/R, and negative multimeter lead on each of the pins the would go to the stator... and got a reading of .542 consistently on each one. Is it possible that the stator managed to cook itself without the R/R actually being bad? Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to change the R/R to the Compufire, but I'm just curious if anyone might know what's happening here.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
even working perfectly, the R/R design allows the stator to constantly run hot. Eventually they burn up. The R/R also fails once its up to working temp. You have the earlier designed block that does not efficiently cool the stator, so you need to upgrade to R/R. The MOSFET will pull more heat out of the stator than OEM, but the stator is still producing 100% of its capability. The compufire can limit the stators output to only what the bike requires, limiting the temp in the first place vs working to cool it.

Your stator burned because it got too hot for an extended period of time. There are only two ways to cool it, better oil flow, or better R/R..

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Better R/R is the cheaper easier option.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well I spoke to someone at Compufire today and got some contradictory advice, so at this point I'm thinking of just buying a Honda 919 and saying **** it. Maybe I'll take up golf and wearing stupid pants.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Share the contradictory advise....Please.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The guy I talked to threw a lot of information at me in the phone call, and to be honest it was a little much. I plan on calling them back tomorrow and seeing if I can double check with someone else to make sure I understood him right.
Here's what I remember: In a nutshell he was telling me that that particular R/R was made for a Harley and they don't recommend using it for another application. He also said that they have been getting a lot of calls from guys wanting to use it on various bikes, but that they also got a lot of calls from people who had issues and were asking about the warranty (which is probably tied to them not recommending it for anything other than the Harley).
If I remember correctly, he also advised against going with a larger gauge wire, or going direct to battery. He also said that the series R/R would get hot and needs to be mounted in a really well ventilated area, but that goes against everything I've heard people say on the forums, so I don't know if I spoke to the right guy or not. Who knows, I might have just gotten a random employee that was making shit up, or somebody's brother that just decided to pick up the phone and talk out of his ass.

Either way, I'm not an electrician and I don't claim to know enough to have an opinion, so I plan on talking to them again to make sure I'm not getting things mixed up or remembering things incorrectly. When in doubt, triple check.

·
Registered
20,645 Posts
I once had a fella in hardware store tell me he didn't recommend I construct a spud gun out of pvc

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
sounds like Grubbery has been answering the phone again, he has the bestest grasp on electrickery ever. :eboy:

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
well i spoke to someone at compufire today and got some contradictory advice, so at this point i'm thinking of just buying a honda 919 and saying **** it. Maybe i'll take up golf and wearing stupid pants.
lmao

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Wow. That's interesting. I know that other members have the Compufire and haven't had problems. Do you know what kind of warranty claims they've had? Like you said, I've done research as well and everyone seems to say the same thing about how the Compu fire makes the stator work less. As for the connection to the battery, that seems the one common comment.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
In a nutshell he was telling me that that particular R/R was made for a Harley and they don't recommend using it for another application.
It doesn't need vibrations to work properly.
He also said that they have been getting a lot of calls from guys wanting to use it on various bikes, but that they also got a lot of calls from people who had issues and were asking about the warranty (which is probably tied to them not recommending it for anything other than the Harley).
If I remember correctly, he also advised against going with a larger gauge wire, or going direct to battery.
Why???, the heavier the gauge the less resistance and electrical losses in the wires. If a fuse is fitted what's the problem of going direct to the battery?
He also said that the series R/R would get hot and needs to be mounted in a really well ventilated area, but that goes against everything I've heard people say on the forums,
Mine doesn't get hotter than warm in the stock position.
so I don't know if I spoke to the right guy or not.
Seems not!!

Who knows, I might have just gotten a random employee that was making shit up, or somebody's brother that just decided to pick up the phone and talk out of his ass.
Possibly

Either way, I'm not an electrician and I don't claim to know enough to have an opinion, so I plan on talking to them again to make sure I'm not getting things mixed up or remembering things incorrectly. When in doubt, triple check.
An RR is just that, a device to convert 3 phase AC to DC, and to regulate the voltage not to exceed about 15 volts. The more efficiently it does these two tasks the less the load on the stator as it would otherwise have to cover the losses leading to more heat on the stator.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Like I said, I have no idea who I actually spoke with so there's no telling if I got the right guy or not. I tried calling on my way to Toronto and kept getting the answering machine, I plan on trying again sometime this week and see if I can get some clarification. I don't mind spending the money, but the fact that he seemed to be hesitant to recommend it gave me pause. Either way, I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
You can get the Compufire hereat Amazon for $154

Amazon.com: Compu-Fire Regulator for 40A 3-Phase Charging Systems 55402: Automotive

Read the reviews there....you'll find they are being used on Hondas, Aprilias etc, and you know they work on Triumphs.

When you buy the kit it comes with half a connector, as the other half probably comes with the stator they sell for harleys.

So for connecting the R/R to the stator I used this connector.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/METRI-PACK-...&item=380428627883&pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr

Or you could do what Avi8or did and solder the wires with no connector. This makes testing the stator more difficult so I recommend a connector. The one I used is waterproof and simple to use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok, finally talked to someone over at Compufire and got some clarification, whoever I talked to before must have either misunderstood what I was asking. The guy I talked to the other day basically said that the series reg/rec would work, but still needed to be mounted in a location with adequate ventilation. I thought the series reg/rec ran cooler and wouldn't get as hot, but from what he was saying it sounded like it did still operate as a heat sink and would need airflow.
One thing that was clear was the fact that they couldn't warranty the reg/rec for anything other than the Harley application it's listed for, and that it's an "install at your own risk" kind of scenario. Not that there would be anything wrong with putting it on a non-Harley bike, but that they don't sell it as a "one size fits all" item. I know that on the Harley it's mounted on the frame behind the front wheel, where it would get a ton of airflow, so mounting it under a triumph seat would be a little more confined. Anyway, I don't know if that clears anything up or makes sense, but that's more or less the general info I got when I talked to them.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Thanks for the update. I purchased the Compufire and the kit Chewie suggested. I'm going the replace the stock RR soon. It's cheap insurance.

It seems from the folks that have done the replacement have placed it in the stock location without a problem. YMMV. Of course, more airflow can't hurt.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Its not hidden away under the seat. It is mounted of the front of the plastic box that the battery and all the other 'lectricks sit in. It is in front of the rear shock reservoir and is exposed to the wind....even though it is behind the motor.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts