Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

Rectifier/Regulator donor bikes?

10K views 53 replies 8 participants last post by  mstorck33 
#1 ·
Is there a list of which bikes would have the good mosfet rec/reg to swap out with the speedy? The part number FH012AA seems to come up a lot, but I don't know if anyone's already done a cross reference of which bikes it comes standard on.
I know it's probably on here somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm heading to the cycle salvage yard to look, I've got a stator on the way. I was hoping to spend Memorial weekend riding instead of looking for parts, but I guess it beats staring at paint dry.
If there is a list somewhere please feel free to lost a link, I couldn't find it.

#9 ·
No, this is just us being helpful. .

Look at the thread in Doug's post, particularly the later parts where there is discussion about the compufire series R/R

#10 ·
It helps to do your own research first and have questions instead of asking "can someone do the work for me????"

#11 ·
For some clarity. It was thought that the FH012AA or similar style RR's would fix the stator burnout issues that have plagued some S3's but through further study and expense by a number of members on here have found the better style of RR is the Compu Fire units. My suggestion is take the advice of Avi and use the link given. He and others who have commented above have gone through enough stators to be knowledgeable on the subject.

All of this info is on the site, just do a search for "compu fire" and all other related keywords.

If you have question after digesting all the info, feel free to ask. Oh, the other thing is not to be too sensitive with any comments posted on here, its all tongue in cheek

#12 ·
For what it's worth I did spend about 4 or 5 days reading different threads on the subject, but after a while it starts to blur together and gets muddy (but that's probably more to do with my brain than anything else). I reached a point where it seemed like the FH012AA was the one to go with, but I couldn't find a listing of which bikes one might scavenge for that R/R. I read quite a few threads on the Rat forum too, but it's so much to digest.

I'll do some more reading but I do appreciate the help, and I did attempt to research on my own before I asked for what it's worth.

#13 ·
I'll do some more reading but I do appreciate the help, and I did attempt to research on my own before I asked for what it's worth.
make sure you read the thread that Doug referred you to above in post#8. Forget the Mosfet RR.... go for the Compufire Series RR. Its a no brainer. Read posts #105 to #108 in that thread, and definitely read the thread in the Aprilia forum that I linked. All you need to know is close at hand.

#14 ·
The more I read the more confusing it gets; I see the compufire for the Harley but I'm guessing that it's the 55402 that fits the Triumph? I read elsewhere that the series R/R from Roadstercycle absorbs a lot of heat so needs to be mounted in a high airflow location, would this be the same for the Compufire? (assuming that any series type R/R operates the same way) I guess my question is, have you mounted the Compufire in a different location and/or noticed any overheating issues?

#16 ·
BLUF: MOSFET is a "better functioning" version of OEM R/R. CompuFire works differently, and eliminates the problem v/s controlling.

think MOSFET as a bigger radiator, CompuFire as retuning to run cooler. If you have an '08 and later, IMO the MOSFET is fine because you have the added oil flow and capacity of the update gallies/cover, if you have an '07 and earlier, I would go with a CompuFire..

#17 ·
Mine is an '07, this is the first issue I've had aside from the classic "muddy coolant", so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the last issue I have for a while. I'm going to order the CompuFire tomorrow first thing, now I just need to figure out which stator to get.

#18 ·
Here's a pic of the stator by the way. I was surprised at how cooked it actually looked, didn't think it would be that toasted. I was going to go with Rick's but if there's a company that makes a better wound/beefier stator please feel free to plug them. Auto part Jewellery Household hardware Circle Machine

#20 ·
What Doug said,get your stock Triumph stator rewound if possible.
I went through 4 "NAME " brand stators,then i got my stock one rewound,no problems as yet.
You will be amazed at the difference in the windings compared to a off the shelf brand.
I'm still running the MOSFET R/R but will switch to the Compufire R/R one day,when i get off my chunky hairy arse and buy one.

#21 ·
+ 3 On the rewind. I had mine done at the same place did Bucket's. Cost more than a new aftermarket (read Chinese) stator, but is a much better job. Guy who did the rewind told me that the stock stator is fairly poor, but the cheap chinese ones are total crap. he said they wont even rewind the cheap ones.

Spend the bucks getting a good rewind, and a Compufire R/R and you'll never have to worry about the stator again. BTW, wire the R/R direct to the battery.

#22 ·
Compufire is that much better than Moffset??

#24 ·
Ok, this got a little more confusing: I just tested the OEM R/R and it appears that it checks out ok (I think). I put the multimeter on the diode setting and touching the positive multimeter lead on the black (negative) wire from the R/R, and negative multimeter lead on each of the pins the would go to the stator... and got a reading of .542 consistently on each one. Is it possible that the stator managed to cook itself without the R/R actually being bad? Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to change the R/R to the Compufire, but I'm just curious if anyone might know what's happening here.

#25 ·
even working perfectly, the R/R design allows the stator to constantly run hot. Eventually they burn up. The R/R also fails once its up to working temp. You have the earlier designed block that does not efficiently cool the stator, so you need to upgrade to R/R. The MOSFET will pull more heat out of the stator than OEM, but the stator is still producing 100% of its capability. The compufire can limit the stators output to only what the bike requires, limiting the temp in the first place vs working to cool it.

Your stator burned because it got too hot for an extended period of time. There are only two ways to cool it, better oil flow, or better R/R..

#32 ·
well i spoke to someone at compufire today and got some contradictory advice, so at this point i'm thinking of just buying a honda 919 and saying **** it. Maybe i'll take up golf and wearing stupid pants.
lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.