Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used various drill bits, chisels, punches and such, but had best results with the 1/2" masonry bit to start, then really got things done with the 1 1/4" hole saw. The metal is very hard, brittle, and jagged. Reminds me of coral reef. It is magnetic though but doesn't drill like typical steel. Probaly about 4 - 5" thick. You can't just twist it in on itself and pull out. Doesn't bend like that and is to tightly packed. I got about 80% of it out, but due to the bend in the mid-pipe can't get it all. The hole is pretty clean though, and about the size of the mid-pipe as it connects to the cans. Also used the 1/2" masonry bit and put a hole through the deflector shield (or whatever it's called) in each can. Now I can see all the way through them. Put it all back together and fired it up. Sounds pretty damn good to me, but I've never heard another speedy with after market exhaust in person. I didn't have time to take it for a spin and see how it runs though. Will let you know tomorrow on my way to work. I was thinking since I got a K&N to, that the tors might work good with it. I haven't loaded tune boy yet though. Anyone know if the drivers are going to work with vista? Well, anyway, it wasn't all that much work with the hole saw, but with an after market mid-pipe, you wouldn't have to worry about it any way. When my chains come in, if anyone wants "slightly modified cans and mid-pipe from an '07, they'll be free with shipping. By the way, take a look at the shit once it's removed.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
"The metal is very hard, brittle, and jagged" ........hard and brittle at the same time...???

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:fingure: :devil:

I would consider titanium to be hard and brittle, and stainless steel to be hard but not really brittle.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think hard/brittle are two different properties that might have some connection but not 100%... (in engineering speak) Hardness (like in terms of diamonds versus sandstone) is simply that - and brittle is a way to describe objects that cant take much shearing force but kinda "snap" rather than bend at the point that it breaks... I think... :)

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
speedy1050 said:
APtech77 said:
"The metal is very hard, brittle, and jagged" ........hard and brittle at the same time...???
That fits doesn't it? Soft and brittle would be a contradiction.
Actually a good example of soft and brittle is good quality chocolate. Chocolate is soft, but it breaks nicely due to it's brittle nature. Counterwise, a watch spring is hard but flexible. Soft/hard and brittle/flexible are two different qualities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts